Old 17th November 2000, 20:35   #1
Qaxar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Qaxar Send a message via AIM to Qaxar
Need a little clarification please. I'm getting great sound with Winamp, but could it be even better??? I have both of the following Nullsoft output plugins installed:

waveOut v2.2 (OUT_WAVE.DLL)
DirectSound v2.0 (OUT_DS.DLL)

So, when an mp3 track is playing, which plugin is active - or are both active at the same time? If one or the other is used, how do you switch? Would it be necessary to disable one or the other of the two plugins?
Qaxar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2000, 22:27   #2
Sawg

Preferences (ctrl-p) -> Plugins -> Output -> Select the one you wanna use -> Hit Close

Basically, waveOut is the plugin that you wanna use unless you have some problems, like not being able to play two wave sounds at once (mp3, systems sounds or something). Otherwise use DirectSound which uses Microsoft's DirectX for mixing sounds and processing them. DirectSound is usually quieter than waveOut, but the over all quality is pretty much the same.

========
sawg

[Edited by Winsane on 01-19-2001 at 02:01 AM]
Old 18th November 2000, 00:28   #3
Qaxar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Qaxar Send a message via AIM to Qaxar
OK Sawg, Thanks. I did try selecting them in the Preferences windows, but didn't notice any difference, so I thought maybe I wasn't doing it right.
Qaxar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2000, 06:23   #4
Nawhead

Doesn't DirectSound change the Multimedia Sampling rate conversion quality to Best during playback? While waveOut doesn't? I read something about this before, but didn't know if it was true. I have my Multimedia playback quality to Best by default, so I can't notice a difference.
Nawhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2000, 01:26   #5
Pio2001

It depends on your soundcard, and if you selected "wave mapper" or "wave out" in the wave out plugin.

In theory, according to Microsoft, directSound let you adjust the sample rate quality as you want, while wave mapper forces "best", and Wave out forces the setting supported by your soundcard.

In reality, I can't figure any audible difference between "good" and "best" with DirectSound, while I can hear differences between DirectSound and wave out. Also, I don't remember directsound giving me any choice with an SB 64 AWE. It was "best" and thats all! Now with the SB live I have the choice, but it doesn't change the sound (and I have sensitive ears!). I think there may be some bugs in this setting...

Pio2001
Pio2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2000, 04:51   #6
Sawg

I really don't knowtice any diffrences (except volume) between Direct and waveOut, but then I don't have the most sensitive ears. I usualy just use direct when waveOut craps out and I don't wanna restart

=======
sawg
Old 19th November 2000, 14:02   #7
peter
ist death

If you have a modern sound card with hardware mixing (eg. SBLive), there is NO difference. On old cards when there are multiple programs using DS, it usually starts mixing sound with crappy quality at 22khz.
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support