Old 8th June 2000, 03:06   #1
RileyG

Hi, you seem to know a lot about WinAmp, could you possibly help out with the .wav problem? In the "Problems with .wav files" subsection? It seems as though the WinAmp people don't want to address this problem, and seems like you've done a great job helping out with all of the other peoples problems. COuld you please help or atleast try to? Thanks a lot

------------------
. ·:· º RileyG º ·:· .
Old 8th June 2000, 07:39   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hi RileyG,

It seems like quite a major serious problem you guys have here. I haven't experienced the problem personally, so I'm not fully sure if I can help . . . but I'll certainly give it a shot.
What I don't understand is, if this is a bug, why don't I [and many others] have the problem ?
I've got Winamp 2.63, WMP 6.4, Real 7, QuickTime 4.1 [etc]; Win95 OSR2 v4.00.950 C [Final Ed.] with IE5.1; Pentium Pro; 48MB RAM; SBAWE32 Soundcard [with the latest drivers . . aha !] . . . and have got NO problems whatsoever.
All hail "AntiCrash", "MemoryElevator" and "InoculateIt PE" . . . the best essential freeware system utilities ever !

Okay, I admit that most of my audio files are either MP3, Real [RM / RA / RAM], or various MODules [MOD / IT / XM / S3M / etc] and that the only WAV's I have are the default Windows Media sounds plus a few small samples that I use in Cubase / ModPlugTracker / SoundForge [etc] . . . but these are fairly old WAVes and luckily not of the NEW format !
Apparently, these new waves are being specially compressed to make them smaller. I personally don't use or download WAV's mainly for the fact that they're so goddam HUGE, or at least that was the original reason . . . anyway . . .
. . . It seems to me like your particular problem is different to most of the others. Most people are just complaining that Winamp won't play certain WAV files. A Winamp Administrator [Watadoo] HAS actually posted a reply on the thread that addresses this entire problem !
It's a Microsoft related issue [lo and behold again !]. They hold the admin & copyright laws for Microsoft WaveForms [WAV] and WindowsMediaAudio [WMA] and they aren't prepared to share them ! Many of these new compressed "MP3-layered" WAV's have been created with specially encoded codecs [MCI / ACM COmpressorDECompressorS] and [I assume] are designed to only play in Windows Media Player v6.4 / 7 ????????? If you know anything about the Registry, I bet these WAV's don't appear in the Shared Files section, 'cos as I say, they're not meant for sharing. That's why you get the "Couldn't find destination format" message, 'cos Winamp and other non-MicroSoft Programs cannot read the file headers. They simply don't recognise the format as being a WAV [or any other recognised audio / multimedia extension] and therefore reject them.

Do ALL your waves play in WMP ?
If so, then [and I find this hard to believe anyway] I very much doubt that it's got anything to do with Winamp . . . unless it's some kinda Nullsoft vs Microsoft war tactic that they're not telling us about, ho ho [frightening] !?!?

Anyway, a fair few links to various fixes have now been posted all over the forums, so try one of them maybe ?!?!

Further regarding this & all your other problems:

When did you first notice the problem/s ?
Was it straight after installing Winamp 2.62 / 2.63 ???
Go into the Winamp Options -> Preferences -> Filetypes and uncheck the "Associate types on Start" box. Check which files you want associating with Winamp [or maybe uncheck them all in your case . . . which is v. sad, 'cos I rate Winamp as well cool and up there amongst the elite] . . . also, check in "Plug-ins -> Output" that Nullsoft Wave Out [OUT_WAV.DLL] is selected. In the WaveOut configuration, you might want to try changing the OutputDevice in the drop-down menu from WaveMapper to the one that best describes your soundcard.
Finally, click on the Agent Options and make sure all 3 tabs are unchecked (If the WA Agent has been secretly running in the background, it may have also been clinging on to it's associated filetypes like flies on sh*t, and also may have been causing conflicts with other players!) Next, close Winamp . . . open your other players one at a time [to avoid any conflicts] and, in the options, re-associate each specific extension with each relevant player.

What I suggest is stick to WMP for playing your WAV's. Maybe you can create a playlist with Notepad [it'll have be an M3U 'cos WMP doesn't support PLS . . . the thick ba***rd].
Open an already existing M3U in Notepad and check out the format. It's tricky 'cos of the individual "#EXTINF:***" requirement for each seperate entry, [where *** is the length of the track in seconds, eg: 492].
The very top line [header] is definitely #EXTM3U. Maybe it'd be easier to create a PLS first, but make sure the first few tracks in the list are old WAV's [any will do, 'cos you can always remove them later]. Then, send it to Winamp, click on "Stop", and then save the playlist as a M3U [by using the "List -> Save" button in the bottom r-hand corner of the PL-Editor].
For full details on PLS & M3U creating & editing, go to the "Playlist Problems & Tips" section of this thread:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=32735

As for this supposed "missing codec" issue [???] . . . you'll have to go to http://support.microsoft.com to find out what it's all about. There must be a posting about it somewhere. But, if WMP plays all of your WAV's, then you must already have it !

As for the Windows Sounds CPL problem, it seems like you require an update / patch [very likely to be already available somewhere on the MS site] that resolves this issue, so that you can assign any WAV'S to Windows Events. Otherwise, just stick to using the default ones, or those that come with Self-installing Desktop Themes.

Other options :

Always make sure you've got the latest drivers for your soundcard installed. If you've already got them do a reinstall, just to make sure.

Have you got DirectX 7.1 yet ?
It p*sses on previous versions and is essential . . . as is IE5.1 !!!! [Netscape, AOL and Compuserve all smell of poo . . . oops shouldn't say that here !]
Check out the DXDiagnostic Tool [C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DXDIAG.EXE] for most audio related problems.

There's also the MS System Info Tool [MSINFO32.EXE in the Common Files -> Microsoft Shared Folder] for such troubleshooting related issues.

Check out the MultiMedia CPL and, in the Advanced Tab, click on "Properties" for EVERY entry to see if they're all properly loaded, installed and configured. "Okay" everything and do a reboot or three !

Another option is to goto the Add/Rem Programs Control Panel -> Windows SetUp tab -> MultiMedia Components -> Details.
Make sure that all 3 of "Audio Compression", "Video Compression" and "Media Player" are selected.
If anything is greyed out, unselect it, exit, re-open & reselect it.
You'll need your Windows CD-ROM to be in the drive & then just let Windows do its thing.
You should probably try this one first b4 installing any latest drivers & DirectX.

If none of the above work, then you've got a pretty serious problem and you might have to re-install Windows [and IE5 if you have it] . . . you may even have to go into the DOS BIOS [aargghhh!].
If this doesn't work, try rubbing 2 sticks together or something !?!

As for the Win NT problem . . . well, Win NT is a problem isn't it !?!? Many programs aren't fully configured for Networking compatability . . . WinNT doesn't support DX7, I think it only supports v3 or 4 ?!?!
Make sure you've got the latest ServicePack installed.

And finally, regarding Win2000 . . . well, there's more bugs in that than the River Thames and North Sea combined !

Hope some of this helps ????

End of mini novel.
[Will there be a sequel ?]

Laterz -> Egg.

----------
DJ-Egg

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-19-2000 at 09:32 PM]
Old 8th June 2000, 22:52   #3
RileyG

Well, first off, I was wrong. All of my much smaller .wavs work, for instance, the largest is about 40 seconds. Yes, WMP does play all of my .wavs, but it's just a b**ch going back and forth, because I feel as though Winamp is the greatest player (other than this little problem, well, HUGE). Oh well, thanks for trying to help me, none of it worked, but I will try getting directx 7(where do I get it? Im guessing directx.com) Oh well, I'll go read what Watadoo said, so, thanks for the help. I wish it did help, maybe it will help the many others with this same problem. Thanks a lot!

------------------
. ·:· º RileyG º ·:· .

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-19-2000 at 09:34 PM]
Old 9th June 2000, 06:32   #4
johny c

I downloaded some wave files which seemed too small to be a full song ,so I put them into my wave editor and found that they were saved in an mpeg layer-3 format but showed up as a normal wave file .I just save them back to the normal wave file format and then converted them to the normal mp3 format .I use the creative labs wave studio that comes with the pc164 card . You need windows media player 6.4.07 installed to be able to edit these mpeg layer-3 wave files, I know this because when I unistalled the media player one time I found that I had lost this save as mpeg layer-3 format and I could not open these files with my editor untill I reinstalled the media player .I hope this helps
Old 9th June 2000, 08:14   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Well, there ya go then. Nuff sed !

or is it ?

ps.

IBSwan [the Domestic Goddess !?!] has added to the original Wav Problems thread by saying that a program called MPEG Player fixes the problem. You have to e-mail her to get the download URL !?!
IBSwan@aol.com

pps.
The same thread also includes this link as a guaranteed fix: http://members.aol.com/networldb/winampfix.html

ppps.

DirectX 8.0a is downloadable from the Micro$oft website:

It's quite large (11mb), so my advice is to go out and buy any new PC Gaming type mag with a front cover CD. I think you'll find that most of them have got the latest version of DirectX included.

DirectX 7.0a is still available, size = 6mb

Check the DirectX Diagnostic Tool for version info, details, troubleshooting:
Start -> Run -> DXDIAG

pppps.

Can't ya just rename these mp3 layered wav's with the mp3 extension?

ppppps.
Make sure the following entries exist in your system.ini & win.ini files:

((*)) = my comments, not to be included!

C:\Windows\System.ini

[mci]
waveaudio=mciwave.drv
MPEGVideo=mciqtz.drv

[drivers32]
msacm.l3acm=l3codeca.acm ((if you only have the default Advanced codec))
msacm.l3codec=l3codecp.acm ((if you have the Professional Fraunhoffer L3 codec))

((btw, If these entries didn't exist, then it is highly likely that you need to reinstall the Windows Fraunhofer MP3 codec, usually included with Windows Media Player 6.4))
((check to see if there is a file with the above name in c:\windows\system))

C:\Windows\WIN.INI

[mci extensions]
wav=waveaudio
mp3=MPEGVideo
m3u=MPEGVideo

pppppps.
Finally, in the event that your soundcard is possibly too old to handle mp3-layered wav files, or if the latest downloadable drivers don't fix the problem, try this:

Winamp Prefs -> Input -> MPEG Audio Decoder -> config -> Decoder tab:
Uncheck "16-bit output"

-----------
DJ - Egg

[Edited by DJEgg on 05-11-2001 at 08:58 PM]
Old 29th November 2000, 10:43   #6
Red M&M

Send a message via ICQ to Red M&M
Quote:
Originally posted by DJEgg
..."Okay" everything and do a reboot or three !

LOL !!!!!!

...If this doesn't work, try rubbing 2 sticks together or something !?!

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...And finally, regarding Win2000 . . . well, there's more bugs in that than the River Thames and North Sea combined !

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

End of mini novel.
[Will there be a sequel ?]

DJEgg, You are awesome!!
You sound like you would be great at parties!!

I am laughing so hard, my lungs
have jumped out of my body and
are starting to choke me untill I stop
laughing.

------------------
Red M&M
Melts in your mouth, not in your hand!

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-19-2000 at 09:39 PM]
Old 29th November 2000, 16:19   #7
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by DJEgg:
I use in Cubase / ModPlugTracker / SoundForge [etc]
That just reminded me to nag you: How about getting around to putting some of your work up for download on your website? I'd like to hear it.

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-19-2000 at 09:41 PM]
Old 29th November 2000, 16:23   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hi Red M&M,

Cheers for your kind words & all that.
Glad to have brought some laughter your way.
Gee, it's an old thread this one.
To be honest, I hardly remember posting it.

And yes, I am pretty good at parties, though I always prefer it when I'm the guy behind the decks providing the awesome choooons.

Keep smilin'
Egg.
Old 29th November 2000, 16:45   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Winsane:
I use in Cubase / ModPlugTracker / SoundForge [etc]

That just reminded me to nag you: How about getting around to putting some of your work up for download on your website? I'd like to hear it.
Yeah, I know, the link's still there in the "Forthcoming" section.

I will get round to it, honest.

I still haven't mastered MPTracker yet, though I've got a few Cubase & Rebirth tunes.
I'll need to convert them to MP3 somehow, I suppose . . .

However, I much prefer to work with real synths / kybds / instruments, and most of my / our tunes are recorded on 8 track & DAT.
Firstly, I'm still working on getting the line-in to MP3 conversions sounding crisp enough, whilst trying to keep the filesize to a minimum (for modem streaming & webspace purposes).

My current 2 webservers only offer a shabby free 10MB webspace, which could easily be taken up by 2 MP3's on both.
What a carry on, eh.
Tho' as I say, I will get round to it . . . eventually.

I've got plenty of tracks to choose from, though I've not been too prolific lately 'cos I much prefer listening to & playing everyone else's megga tunes.

Sometimes I can create a whole new track whilst DJ-ing. I could be mixing in 2x12" trax, 2xCD trax, sounds off the pc, with FX off tape or an analog synth, all in one. This can be enhanced further by using the mixer & EQ FX etc.
However, most of these mixes tend to be one offs, totally live & uncaptured.

Aah, I'm beginnin' to ramble again,
Laterz -> Egg

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-19-2000 at 09:42 PM]
Old 29th November 2000, 16:58   #10
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Sometimes I can create a whole new track whilst DJ-ing. I could be mixing in 2x12" trax, 2xCD trax, sounds off the pc, with FX off tape or an analog synth, all in one. This can be enhanced further by using the mixer & EQ FX etc.
However, most of these mixes tend to be one offs, totally live & uncaptured.
Can'tcha hook up a tape deck, computer, DAT recorder, or whatever to your mixer to record your sets? Seems like that could also help you work on your skillz. I record all my radio shows, so's I can hear what I messed up on and correct it the next time around.

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-19-2000 at 09:44 PM]
Old 30th November 2000, 03:36   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Ahem, remember that I've already got 1000's of tapes.
I don't want any more if I can help it!
Also, the last thing I wanna do is fill up all my free HD space.
Yeah, I know, burn it to CD . . . & all else follows . . .

I used to record all my sets too (live gigs & radio shows) but rarely bother anymore. I still make up a fair few MeggaMixTapes at home from time to time.

However, I don't exactly need to "work on my skills". I've been DJ'ing for over 20 years and am quite adept enough, to put it quite humbly & mildly.

I very rarely make any mistakes (DJ'ing). I suppose ya could say I'm a bit of a perfectionist where music matters are concerned.

Hey, though I'm thinking of retiring in a year or two maybe

Anyway, the main problems are (as mentioned in above post):

1. Finding enough free webspace:
I'd prefer to have all the trax on 1 server rather than splitting them between 4 or 5.
I've found a couple of UK based servers that offer 50 or 100MB of freespace, so I'll probably sign up with one of them ?!?!
Whether or not they run a fast & reliable service or not is another story.

2. Crisp quality encoding at a low bitrate:
OK, I could encode them at a higher bitrate, but then I'm gonna have to find even more webspace, not to mention the time it's gonna take to upload. Some of the trax are over 15 mins long (proper epics). One of them is 22 mins and I've thought about editing it . . . but can't find any editing point; it sounds incomplete unless it's played in its entirity.

Also, most people worldwide still use 56k dial-up modems (me included), so a lower bitrate is essential for streaming purposes.
Circumstances will all change once DSL/cable connection is fully implemented on a global basis.

I thought of maybe encoding two versions of each track. A low bitrate for streaming & a high bitrate for downloading. But again, that's more time & space again, but hey, wtf.

Though like I said, I'm working on it. You will be able to download some trax from my site soon, I promise.

The fact that I'm a very busy dude doesn't help much either.
No problem though, it's never stopped me in the past.

Blah blah de blah

End of rant
Old 21st September 2004, 21:19   #12
zachdms

Send a message via AIM to zachdms
Just to clarify, because this is an error I'm seeing people encounter: msacm.l3codec is never valid. l3codecp.acm should always be registered as msacm.l3acm=l3codecp.acm (which l3codecp's DllRegisterServer should handle anyways). l3codeca knows not to overwrite l3codecp. Please don't use msacm.l3codec, as it's not correct and will get removed when FhG registration clean-up occurs. =\
Old 21st September 2004, 21:32   #13
JonnyMac

Please do not revive old threads. This is almost 4 years old.
Old 22nd September 2004, 14:26   #14
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
Yeah for heavens sake. Stop it.

*Clunk*

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support