Old 25th November 2000, 19:45   #1
ARIEL

I JUST DOWNLOADED WINAMP 2.7 AND HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT CRASHES WITH A KERNEL DLL ERROR. WHEN I REBOOT WINAMP, IT EVEN GOES BACK TO A PRIOR SKIN I MAY HAVE HAD LOADED. I WISH I COULD GET VERSION 2.666 BACK, I HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH IT. IS THERE A WAY TO GET IT BACK UNTIL YOU FIX THIS MESS? ILONA.
Old 25th November 2000, 20:13   #2
GREEK_MP3

For some reason some plugins cause that Kernel error in Winamp 2.7... Hmm...
Old 26th November 2000, 02:02   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Please list any extra plugins you have that don't come with the default install.
Full sys specs wouldn't go amiss either.

All versions of Winamp available @ www.winampheaven.com
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2000, 05:13   #4
ARIEL

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DJEgg:
[B]Please list any extra plugins you have that don't come with the default install.

I have Piettro's Rock Steady. Nothing more, and this 2.7 version was crashing with kernel dll error BEFORE I installed rock steady.

Old 26th November 2000, 05:42   #5
ARIEL

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ARIEL:
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by DJEgg:
[B]Please list any extra plugins you have that don't come with the default install.

As far as system specs? I have 200 pentium, 128 megs of RAM, a 56K Modem, almost 2 full GB's of hard drive left, and I have had NO previous problem with ANY former WINAMP version. Through Winampheaven I downloaded installation file again for 2.666 U-2 version and will try that again if this keeps crashing, unless you can tell me why it keeps crashing. Like I said, I had NO PLUG ins other than the ones that came with 2.7 version of WINAMP, and it crashed and it still kept crashing when I put in Piettro's Rock Steady. So, what's the problem with 2.7? ILONA.
Old 27th November 2000, 04:28   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Weird indeed.
2.70 works wonderfully fine for me & many many others.
Your sys specs seem fine, although you didn't list your soundcard, videocard & Windows OS.
I haven't heard of anyone experiencing any problems with Rock Steady normalizer b4, so you're (probably) right when you say it can't be that.

Have you enabled any DSP/FX or vis plugins (to auto run on play) ?
Try without for now to see if these are to blame.

Does your playlist include MP3's only, or a mixture of filetypes ?
Do any of the MP3's have ID3v2 tags or are any VBR encoded ?
Do any of them have the "Read Only" attribute ?
If so, goto the containing folder and remove the RO tag.

Under what circumstances does the crash occur ?
Is it at random without you doing anything, or is it when you click a certain button or feature, or when you try editing an ID3 tag, or what ?

Also let us know how ya get on with the reinstall of 2.666

Another suggestion is to delete the "winamp.ini" file (in Winamp dir)
Make sure Winamp is fully closed first.
Next time you open Winamp, all the default settings will be restored.

Failing that, try uninstall (via Add/Rem Programs), then reinstall.
Be sure to backup any extra plugins & skins first.
Also backup any other files that may contain personal data: eg
Bookmark list (winamp.bm) | Saved EQ presets (winamp.q2)

The only other thing I can think of is that you should double check your pc for any viruses.

There's also an extensive report at http://support.microsoft.com regarding the dreaded kernel32.dll errors.
www.windowstrouble.com may also provide some help.

Best of luck.
Old 27th November 2000, 04:37   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

In fact, windowstrouble.com has got a hefty extensive kernel32.dll feature
There's a BIG link to it right there on the homepage.
Old 27th November 2000, 17:29   #8
ARIEL

I know of a few having same problems with this version crashing. I am using no DSP or any effects. Just the general program itself, and the Rock Steady I mentioned. I have no viruses on this puter, as I do a thorough scan twice a week, and just did one yesterday. I also have Norton Anti - Virus, which gives me weekly innoculations of all the newest viruses out there. I defrag the puter every other day, and I do a thorough scan disk once a week. Nothing was wrong til I downloaded 2.7 Winamp. If this problem keeps up, I downloaded 2.666 again, and will reinstall. That version had NO problems of any kind, and I saw the beta version of 2.7 at that winampheaven site, it had many crash problems. So for some people, this problem still exists. None of my other programs are giving me a kernel 32 dll error, and this error wasn't a kernel 32 dll error. It said a kernel dll error with 2.7 Winamp, but not 32 dll. It was a longer number. Again, I've downloaded all the newest versions of Winamp and until this one, no PROBLEMS of any kind. I did disable the second new ID3v2 tag this new 2.7 came with, so let's see if that helps, and I put in a new winamp ini file that I downloaded. I have ONLY MP3's in the playlist, no wavs, or other files. So I'm way ahead on this one, and isn't it strange that all other versions worked BUT this one? That tells me something right there. If this keeps up will go back, again, as I said, to version 2.666 which had no problems whatsoever. Ilona.

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-16-2000 at 08:31 PM]
Old 28th November 2000, 02:39   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Heavy shit dude !
Like I say, 2.70 works a treat for me, no probs whatsoever.
We could still do with knowing the exact error message.

btw, there's no need to keep using the "reply with quote" method.
Use the "Post a reply" button instead (@ top & bottom of page).

As suggested above, did you try deleting "winamp.ini" (winamp dir) ?
Make sure Winamp is closed first.
Old 28th November 2000, 03:28   #10
ARIEL

DJ, I reinstalled 2.666 U-2 version, from Winampheaven, but I don't remember 2.666 having the large ID3V1 and ID3V2 tag. I disabled the ID3V2 tags, but did 2.666 have that large ID3 box? I don't remember it having the double thing. I only remember it having one ID3V1. Am I right? Or did 2.666 have that double tag? Anyway, if this doesn't work, I will reinstall 2.7 and take out the winamp.ini, and restart winamp after that. I will follow all suggestions, but hoping this 2.666 works. Again, advise if ID3V1 and ID3V2 was in the 2.666 U-2 version. I don't remember it being in the original 2.666 U-2 version I had. ILONA.
Old 29th November 2000, 04:21   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I never downloaded the U2 version myself, but as far as I know, 2.666 was the first version to support ID3v2 tags, I think . . . or was that with one of the in_mp3.dll alpha/beta plugins . . . can't remember now.

If you want to go back to ID3v1 support only, then get v2.65

Though, if v2.70 works after deleting winamp.ini, ya may as well keep it.
Old 29th November 2000, 15:37   #12
ARIEL

If I delete the winamp.ini file in version 2.7, will a new one appear, when I restart
Winamp? Isn't it a vital part of the program? ILONA.

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-16-2000 at 08:32 PM]
Old 29th November 2000, 16:59   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yes, make sure Winamp is fully closed first.

Goto the Winamp dir & remove or delete winamp.ini
You can cut & paste it to a backup folder if you want.
This may prove useful later if you want to compare it with the new ini.

Next time you open Winamp, a new ini file will be created & Winamp will be restored to all the default settings.

When you upgrade, the config files (such as winamp.ini) are retained.
There may have been some conflict/s somewhere between your old & new version.

I've gotta say that it's weird though.
I've had to edit my winamp.ini a few times, but I've never deleted it b4.

Anyway, once your new ini is created, you can always go back into the Winamp Prefs to fine tweak Winamp some more.
Though there shouldn't be any real need to do this if Winamp works fine with all the default settings.

Give it a shot.
Old 29th November 2000, 23:02   #14
MiKershaw

I've got the same problem but have no additional plug-ins. The Kernel2.DLL error is cyclic and the error message keeps coming up over and over until you shut down the PC (by turning off the power because CTL-ALT-DEL doesn't work either).

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-16-2000 at 08:26 PM]
Old 30th November 2000, 00:18   #15
ARIEL

Winamp would just shut down on me while playing a song, and I could restart it. A kernel dll error, came up, but not a kernel 32 dll error. Another kind of kernel driver error. I think it's in the Winamp 2.7 version myself. I went back to 2.666 version. ILONA.

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-16-2000 at 08:27 PM]
Old 1st December 2000, 12:09   #16
Wolfgang

Hi,

I've downloaded 7.0 too and now I get a Kernel32 error:

WINAMP verursachte einen Fehler durch eine ungültige Seite
in Modul KERNEL32.DLL bei 0237:bff99dbd.
Register:
EAX=c0019374 CS=0237 EIP=bff99dbd EFLGS=00010206
EBX=00000000 SS=023f ESP=0061fdf0 EBP=0062008c
ECX=00000000 DS=023f ESI=00000000 FS=1257
EDX=c0000005 ES=023f EDI=00448540 GS=0000
Bytes bei CS:EIP:
53 8b 15 8c 19 fc bf 56 89 4d e4 57 89 4d dc 89
Stapelwerte:

I deinstalled this version and installed my
old version 2.5e, but there is now the same problem. I can't get winamp running any longer. (no version)
I use Windows 95B and did the following changes before I noted the problem:
- installed Access
- installed the DUN1.3 Update with
- the y2k update for DUN1.3

My kernel32.dll is 4.03.1212
Old 2nd December 2000, 05:22   #17
ARIEL

I went to www.winampheaven.com and downloaded version 2.666 again. But you have to do a COMPLETE uninstall of 2.7 FIRST, then download 2.666 and you shouldn't have a problem anymore. ILONA.

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-16-2000 at 08:25 PM]
Old 3rd December 2000, 03:29   #18
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, even after uninstalling, any user config files created after the initial install will not be removed. You'll need to manually remove these yourself, particularly the winamp.ini files in Winamp & Windows dir's.
The same applies to any extra plugins & skins you've downloaded, etc.

Wolfgang
I doubt if the DUN upgrade was the cause of the problem.
Not sure about Access though. MS Office components have a tendency to modify a lot of System files.

It's weird that your kernel32.dll is v4.03.1212
I'm running Win95 OSR2, and that was supposed to be the final release of Win95. My kernel version is 4.00.111, so it would seem that yours has been mysteriously updated somehow. I'm not sure if that's wise !

You can always extract the original from the relevant CAB file on the Win CD-ROM, but you won't be able to simply paste it over the current DLL. You'll get an error message stating "file currently in use". You'll have to paste it into another dir (eg. C:\Windows\System\Temp) and either : run the replacement via rebooting to the DOS prompt, or by creating\modifying the wininit.ini file (Windows dir). I'll look into how this is actually done if you want, but if anyone can tell Wolfgang b4, please feel free. ("please" being the operative word).

-------
DJ-Egg
Old 3rd December 2000, 18:05   #19
ARIEL

DJEgg: I have a new problem now. I went bck to version 2.666 and have no problems with kernel errors, or shutting down now. But NOW, I get like rhythmic clicking sounds sometimes. I've disabled all he ID3v2 tags, and only use ID3v1. What could be causing this periodic clicking sound every so often, and it's rhythmic, following a beat. ILONA.
Old 17th December 2000, 00:23   #20
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Try updating your soundcard drivers, maybe.
However, you might want to try temporarily disabling RockSteady, if you still use it.
Ya never know, it could be the normalization process that's causing this problem?
Does the problem persist regardless of whether you use WaveOut or DirectSound Output plugin?

Do mp3's play ok in other players, eg. WinMediaPlayer?

Also, please note that Winamp 2.71 is now available. Includes various bug fixes, as per usual!
The kernel errors are supposedly no more (although I never actually experienced them myself).

Please note:
I've had to edit most posts in this thread in order to remove the old erroneous ubb code.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support