Old 5th October 2000, 15:42   #1
VaMpYrE

how do i convert wma files to mp3? Prolly best to talk to me like an idiot so i know whats going on. Thanx.

Old 5th October 2000, 15:59   #2
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

VaMpYrE,

To start with, you have to know that WMA is a secure format. Which means that you shouldn't be able to convert it to anything else. But given that WMA was created by Microsoft, its "security" is more than questionable
Now, you can't do the conversion using Winamp's disk writer plug-in (because of copyright infringement, blah, blah, blah) but you can do it using other programs. First of all, get CoolDecode 2.0. This program allows you to convert WMA files into Wav. Then all you have to do is convert the new wav files into mp3 using, for instance, CDEX. That's it, hope it helps.

------------------
Twilightseer

Life is but a dream
covered by the sky...

[This message has been edited by Twilightseer (edited October 05, 2000).]

Old 5th October 2000, 16:16   #3
VaMpYrE

Thanx for that but I haven't been able to find the program CoolDecode anywhere inc your link, tucows, download.com or other places we wont mention *winks* any ideas where it can be found?

Old 5th October 2000, 17:00   #4
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Well, I first gave the link to the Website, but I checked and it's down. However, I've edited my previous post with another link, try clicking on it, it should work.

------------------
Twilightseer

Life is but a dream
covered by the sky...
Old 7th October 2000, 16:12   #5
That Myers Kid

When you convert files you lose quality, so unless you have a SERIOUS problem with microsoft ( I dont like them either ) you would probably be better off with the WMA files. But then again maybe the MP3's will be much smaller. Oh hell, do what you want.
Old 16th January 2001, 15:56   #6
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Well, you don't really lose any quality if you just convert to standard PCM WAV format with the same sample rate, stereo/mono mode, and bit depth of the WMA you're converting. But you won't regain any quality either. And if you convert WMA to another lossy format such as MP3, or if you reconvert to WMA (like the program Unfuck does), you'll then lose some more quality in addition to what was lost during the original encoding. So converting WMA files to WAV is really only worthwhile for burning the things to an audio CD. And converting WMA files to other formats is really only worthwhile if you need to play the songs on a player that doesn't support the WMA format. (The one other case where converting is worthwhile is if you have a WMA that expires after a certain amount of time, and you don't want it to expire.)

Anyway, read this if you want instructions on how to convert WMA files with Winamp: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=34388

[Edited by Winsane on 02-12-2001 at 11:39 AM]
Old 11th January 2008, 08:27   #7
milkyway

I think you need a third software to help you!
Here I found Daniusoft WMA MP3 Converter could convert many DRM video and audio: AAC, WAV, M4A, APE, AC3,MP3 and WMA in a high quality with fast conversion speed.
You can see detail and free download it here:
http://www.**************/wma-mp3-converter.html
Old 11th January 2008, 10:10   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp Team

Warning: Please don't revive 7 year old threads, especially with spam.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support