Old 21st June 2000, 12:48   #1
Venus224

Inside my MP3 folder I have another one where I saved my playlist. Everytime I open the playlist editor I have to drag it back in there. I saved it but when I reopen the editor the playlist is not there. What am I doing wrong?
Thanx
Venus224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2000, 16:37   #2
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

Venus -

Winamp is set up by default so that each time you close Winamp, it saves your existing playlist under the filename "WINAMP.m3u". Then, the next time you open Winamp, the initialization process SHOULD load the contents of "WINAMP.m3u" back into the Playlist Editor window.

One possibility is that the "WINAMP.m3u" file has been marked as a read-only file, which would prevent Winamp from saving the playlist contents when you close Winamp.

Make sure Winamp is closed, then go to your Winamp folder (usually "Program Files/Winamp"), select the file named "WINAMP.m3u", right-click that filename, and click on "Properties".

Check to see if the "Read-only" box is checked - if so, de-select it.

Next, open Winamp and load some songs or a playlist into the Playlist Editor. Close Winamp and then re-open it, and hopefully your songs or playlist will still be there.

If not, let us know and we'll try to think of another solution.

[This message has been edited by Reverend Ike (edited June 21, 2000).]
Reverend Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2000, 19:51   #3
Venus224

Reverand Ike,
Thank you so much for your reply and I did as you said. In properties in attributes, the archive box is checked, not the read only box. Would appreciate any other suggestions you may have.
Venus
Old 21st June 2000, 23:04   #4
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

Venus -

OK, a couple of questions to try to eliminate some possibilities:

(1) What version of Winamp are you using?
(If you don't know, open Winamp, hit the F1 key, click the "Winamp" tab, and the version number is at the bottom).

(2) I understand that when you load a playlist file (.m3u) into your Playlist Editor, close Winamp, and then open Winamp, your Playlist Editor is empty. Does the same thing happen if you just load a music file (.mp3) into your Playlist Editor, close Winamp, and then open Winamp again?

(3) Have you installed or are you using any plugins with Winamp?

If you could reply with the answers, either myself or another member will try to help you figure out your problem.

Old 22nd June 2000, 01:03   #5
Venus224

Thanks Reverand Ike for your quick replies. Ok here are the answers to your questions:
1. Winamp version is 2.63
2. Yes if I close the editor and reopen the MP3's are gone in the playlist, this usually happens if I restart my system.
3. Plugins, yes
avs folder
climax palettes, presets and text file
(its a skin)
IN_CDDA.cdb
vis_avs.dat
I hope this answers everything for you, again thanks so much for helping me out.
Venus
Old 22nd June 2000, 03:52   #6
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

Venus -

For starters, there are two things I would suggest:

(1) Upgrade to Winamp version 2.64

Version 2.63 admittedly had bugs, even though I don't remember anything that specifically mentioned your problem. But it would be a good idea to upgrade from 2.63 to 2.64 even if you weren't having any problems.

Plus, it's possible that your WINAMP.m3u file is wacked-out (technical term) and just erases its list somehow. Upgrading to version 2.64 would fix that kind of a weird glitch.

I'll assume you're comfortable with how to upgrade; if not, just post a reply and I'll give you some additional tips. To be on the safe side, make a copy of the folders containing your skins and plugins before you upgrade.

After you upgrade, load some mp3's into your Playlist Editor, then close and re-open Winamp and see what happens. If your problem still remains ...

(2) Check your plugins for "hidden" options

Many versions ago, Winamp actually had an option for "clearing" the Playlist Editor each time you closed Winamp. They have deleted that option from Winamp, but one of your plugins may have a similar option for some (unknown) reason.

Go to Winamp Preferences (Control-P) and then click on "Plug-ins / Visualization". One at a time, highlight each plugin and click the "Configure" button. Just browse through all of the tabs and settings and see if you find any options that mention clearing the playlist or something similar.

Then go to "Plug-ins / General Purpose" and check those plugins the same way you checked your Visualization plugins.

If you find an option referring to clearing the playlist, de-select it. Then exit the Preferences and do the old "load Mp3's, close Winamp, open Winamp" test and see what happens.

In the meantime, I'll think about if I've overlooked anything, and perhaps a moderator or someone smarter than me will drop by and give you some pearls of wisdom. Hopefully, upgrading to 2.64 will fix things all by itself.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support