Old 22nd September 2000, 04:56   #1
jim234

Hello,
I am new to using the winamp software v.2.65 which sofar is working pretty good but I need a better explaination showing the proper steps to take to the faq III trouble shooting question 12.

Also I have heard that there will be a new version coming out does anyone know when.
thanks
jim234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2000, 11:12   #2
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

jim234 -

I have Real Player G2, so the following steps may be slightly different for you if you have Real Player 7 or 8.

Open Real Player. In the menu, select View -> Preferences
First click on the General tab.
Under Start Center, click the Settings button.
Make sure Enable start center is UNCHECKED.
Ignore any RealPlayer warning messages and click Okay as necessary.
Next click on the Upgrade tab.
Under RealNetworks' media types, make sure that Reclaim RealNetworks' media types without asking is UNCHECKED.
Click on both the Re-associate and Auto Restore Settings buttons, and make sure all boxes for MP3 Audio, MP3 Playlists, etc. are UNCHECKED.
Then click on Okay as needed to exit the RealPlayer menu. Close Real Player.

Open Winamp, go to Winamp Preferences (Ctrl+P), select Setup -> File types and make sure all of the filetypes you want Winamp to use (such as MP3, M3U, PLS, MID, WAV) are highlighted. Also make sure that Register types on Winamp start is CHECKED.

Next, select Setup -> Agent and make sure that at least the 1st and 3rd boxes are CHECKED. Exit Winamp Preferences, close Winamp, and then re-open Winamp. Hopefully, your file associations are now reassociated with Winamp.

Note: The Winamp program named Agent runs in the background and helps keep Real Player from stealing back your file associations. Its filename is winampa.exe. While it's running, Agent writes to disk. Because of this, you will need to temporarily disable it whenever you plan to run ScanDisk or Disk Defragmenter.

Note: The reason Agent is needed is because every time you open Real Player, it will go and CHECK those boxes marked MP3 Audio, etc. automatically without asking you.

Note: You can reduce or eliminate your need to use Real Player by downloading and installing the Innover plugin, which you can find here:
http://myhome.shinbiro.com/~ddongper...eal/index.html

This plugin allows you to play most Real file formats (except RMX) through Winamp. You must leave Real Player installed (the Innover plugin requires the use of some Real Player files), but using the plugin may keep you from needing to actually open Real Player. (Opening Real Player may subject you to spyware (see below) and unnecessary upgrade prompts).

Final note: Real Player 7 and 8 are very invasive and contain spyware (software that reports information back to Real without your knowledge). If you have version 7 or 8, you can try uninstalling it, and reinstalling Real Player G2, which you can download from here:

http://proforma.real.com/real/player/blackjack.html

Real Player G2 will allow you to use the Innover plugin, although if you actually open Real Player G2, you may sometimes get a message that you need to upgrade to version 8.

None of this stuff is life-and-death, of course. Just pick the steps that you're comfortable with. However, now you know why most Winamp users refer to Real as evil and obnoxious.

Any further questions, post a reply and we will help you out.

Steve or Denzil or ??? -

You might want to look at the dead FAQ link that Jim encountered.

- - - - - - - - - -

(Another rambling mini-novel. Sorry, Sarge)

[Edited by DJEgg on 05-14-2001 at 11:12 PM]
Reverend Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2000, 03:33   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, they've not updated the link since they moved the archives section.

Here's what it should be:
http://www.winamp.com/community/aska...-01-2000.jhtml

Luckily, this link is included in my Links masterpiece from the "Read This First".

Rev
Seeing that you've expanded further on this particular subject in such an impeccable & delectable fashion [as always], I'm going to add this to the "masterpiece" thread aswell.

Cheers -> Egg.

[Edited by DJEgg on 12-20-2000 at 09:59 PM]
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2000, 12:00   #4
Daniel S

Hi Rev. Ike,
thanks for ramblimg. I had been looking for an explanation of winampa.exe and came here directly though a search engine. Winampa.exe has been bugging me and now I know.

Regards,
Daniel
Old 5th May 2001, 02:06   #5
RREICHMAN

FAQ III TROUBLESHOOTING 12

Dear Rev Ike,
Thank you for the excellant information. I had done everything except enable the Winamp agent, which I am reluctant to do, since I frequently run a defrag (2+ times a week). It's really a problem that Real Player should address, and in fact it sounds to me as if they have the equivalent of the Winamp agent, but that you can't leave it turned off, and that it is automatically turned on when you play a video file. Does that make sense?
Other than turning th Winam-p agent off and on all the time, do you have any other suggestions? (I'd rather keep Real Player for it's video formats).
Thanks again for your help,
RReichman
PS: You got my cherry -- first time I've been in a forum --hope I behaved appropriately!!
RREICHMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2001, 14:50   #6
globalvillageguy

Send a message via AIM to globalvillageguy Send a message via Yahoo to globalvillageguy
winamp default real invader

removed all real files and enabled agent but did nothing, still getting screen asking for real exec

windows explorer did not open with a "view" so no folder options to click on

still cant find a way to squash the evil, may reload windows 98, that should do it

gvg
globalvillageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2001, 03:02   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

No, not necessarily!

Jeez, we are having a few minor problems of late, eh ?!?!

I see you say somewhere else in another thread (here in AskSteves maybe?) that you've already tried ALL the suggestions in the links we provided . . . but I find this hard to believe, otherwise you would've fixed the problem.

When you say you deleted all Real files, did you properly uninstall it (via Add/Remove Programs), or did you just delete the directories?

Anyway . . .

Basically, you're going to the smoothjazz site : http://www.smoothjazz.com/onair/
What are you doing from there? Just clicking the "Listen Now" button?
Have you noticed that there's a drop down menu to the left of this:
Choose An Audio Format
Click the tab and select MP3/Winamp (either: 56k modem, or 128k DSL)
You don't have to click the Listen button at all.
If you do, it's obvious that it's set to play with RealPlayer by default.

We've already established that using the Play -> Location box in Winamp works
http://205.188.245.131:8054
So there's no question of this being a RealPlayer or incompatibilty related issue.

Hopefully, everything below here is irrelevant!
(except for the final paragraph!)

If you still have problems, try this:
Start -> Settings -> Folder Options -> File Types tab
Scroll down for:
1) MP3 File
2) MP3 Playlists (m3u, pls, xpl)

First of all, do these entries exist?
If so, does it say "Opens with : Realplay.exe" ????
If it does, simply delete both these entries (Remove button)

Close Folder Options

Open Winamp
Goto: Prefs -> FileTypes
Make sure: MP3, PLS & M3U are selected.
Close Prefs & exit Winamp.

Go back to Windows Folder Options -> FileTypes tab
Now scroll down for:
1) Winamp Media File
2) Winamp Playlist File

Confirm these both exist.

In turn, hi-lite & click "Edit"
Make sure for "Winamp Media File" that the Content Type (MIME) is one of:

audio/m3u
audio/mpeg
audio/mp3

Any of these should work. Mine's set to audio/m3u, but others have stated they've had to use audio/mpeg instead.

For "Winamp Playlist File", the MIME should be one of:

audio/mpegurl
audio/x-mpegurl
audio/scpls
audio/x-scpls

If they're both correct already, then cool!
If not, either change them via the drop down menu, or manually type it in yourself.
One of these will definitely work, though you might have to experiment a little (trial & error).
However, Winamp Prefs -> Filetypes should have automatically taken care of all this crap anyway!

To cut a long story short, I think you just need to use that drop down menu on the webpage. Simple as that! Not really worth reinstalling Windows for, eh?

[Edited by DJEgg on 06-02-2001 at 11:10 AM]
Old 14th May 2001, 18:27   #8
globalvillageguy

Send a message via AIM to globalvillageguy Send a message via Yahoo to globalvillageguy
the evil one

egg man

OK, got rid of real

first, found that real opened both mp3 file and playlist so deleted per your suggestion

second, reconfig winam to your suggestions

third, recongig windows mimes to your suggestions

then went to shoutcast to see if real was dead and it no longer asks for real exec when clicking on "listen"

however, instead of just pluggin into winamp and playing, like it did with real before i uninstalled it, it gave me a shoutcast playlist download to the desktop

the same thing occurs when i go to smoothjazz

whats up

gvg
Old 15th May 2001, 03:38   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

And if you then click on the Shoutcast Playlist on your desktop to open it, does it then open up & play in Winamp?
If it does, then we're getting there. We just need to make this an automatic process, the way it should be.

Are you using IE5.5 by any chance?
If so, this is a known bug, so check out this thread from TSGH:
PLS Association Problem Solved

If the initial suggestions don't work, follow the links from my post in there for more fixes. Though if it comes to the point where the only option you have left is to edit the registry, I think it could be wise for you to get someone more qualified to do this for you? Yes, no, maybe?

btw, before you uninstalled RP, did you follow the good Rev Ike's instructions above?
I've just edited those directions to include some more important info (re: disabling Start Center) and also changed one or two other things to relate directly to RP7 & RP8, instead of RP6 (G2).

[start_rant]
I can't believe that RealNetworks & Micro$oft are still getting away with this tyranny. It's about time that Nullsoft (or someone at least) actually took some action!
All people want to do is to download & install Winamp, and for it to work.
They shouldn't have to go thru all this crap just because the developers from the likes of RealNetworks, Micro$oft & MusicMatch, etc. can't code properly, or don't know how to remove year old bugs, or can get away with creating software that takes over your entire computer and doesn't restore the previous settings once uninstalled. It's absolutely outrageous! Grr!
[/end_rant]

Anyway gvg, let us know how ya get on!
Old 15th May 2001, 17:02   #10
globalvillageguy

winamp con

egg man

lets recap, first the most important thing has been taken care of, ie. the machine starts with smoothjazz tuned in and playing - excellent - much thanks, and as a matter of fact i passed on that info to sandy shore the pres of sj

however, when selecting a different station to listen to at shoutcast, ie. after choosing a particular station, rather than switching from sj to the new choice i get a download to desktop, and no, it doesnt play when clicking it, there is merely the appearance of "shoutcast playlist" on the winamp screen, and when clicking on that nothing happens, somewhere in the shuffle the actual station selected gets lost - and i cant get back to sj because i find the same circumstance at smoothjazz.com "listen"

when following the last ideas at the link given, it changed nothing - but did, unfortunately prevent the auto startup of sj, so i reinstalled winamp to make sure it was properly config without real, so am back where i started - something doesn't make sense here because previously winamp was switching stations perfectly

couldnt agree more with your rant, been writing a book on the computer for 7 years now, only the last 18 months on my own machine

literally have installed and used dozens of applications on 3 hard drives, cd rom, pc dvd, cd rw, zip 250 and floppy, pushing stuff around with 575 ram - and it seems wo fail after uninstalling there are residual bits interfering with other operations

for software to be most effective it must be pretty open, inviting the aggression of the bullies, and of course in this environment of monopolization, wherein someone else (ms) actually is in control of your personal computer and can invade it about any time youre ol - we have a very tyrannical and corrupt atmosphere of exploitation, graft and collusion - people cutting deals w people that manifest suffering for everyone else - the profiteering of dedadence

i couldnt begin to estimate the number of hours i have literally wasted cleaning up someone elses messes - like you are doing - the final frontier - and it definitely is war-like

anyway, if you have any more thoughts on station changing let me know - appreciate your assistance

gvg

Old 16th May 2001, 01:00   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Re: winamp con

Quote:
Originally posted by globalvillageguy
for software to be most effective it must be pretty open, inviting the aggression of the bullies, and of course in this environment of monopolization, wherein someone else (ms) actually is in control of your personal computer and can invade it about any time youre ol - we have a very tyrannical and corrupt atmosphere of exploitation, graft and collusion - people cutting deals w people that manifest suffering for everyone else - the profiteering of dedadence

i couldnt begin to estimate the number of hours i have literally wasted cleaning up someone elses messes - like you are doing - the final frontier - and it definitely is war-like

gvg
I just wanted to see that again, in bold type!
Excellently put my friend!

Anyway . . . back to the issue at hand . . .

If the guaranteed fix at mp3.com didn't work for you (can't remember if it's already been mentioned or not?), then it looks like the only way you're going to fix this problem is by editing the registry!

Here's all the links to all the relevant info:

mp3.com Guaranteed fix : http://help.mp3.com/help/installer/MP3Fix.exe
Further help : http://help.mp3.com/help/article/con...e_windows.html

Manual regfix: (refer to my posts towards the middle/end)
Mugged by RealPlayer
Help! - RealPlayer is still screwing me

Be sure to read these very carefully & follow the instructions to-a-tee !

All the best . . . and please come back to say "yes, it worked!"
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support