Old 6th February 2001, 22:27   #1
figster

I have "completely" removed real crappy player 8 off of my hard drive and it's still coming back at me from the grave. Every time I try to get some streaming audio, even from the winamp web site, it tells me that "Windows can not find realplay.exe - this program is needed to run .m3u .pls .xpl". Can somebody PLEASE tell me how to fix this. Thanks
figster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2001, 22:39   #2
Rswave2000

Send a message via AIM to Rswave2000
i told you what to do
but now you unistalled it

Rswave2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2001, 22:43   #3
Rswave2000

in case you haven't read your last thread here's what you do

if you still want realplayer do this and winamp will still be your default player:

open up realplayer go to view, preferences, upgrade, make sure "always play realnetworks media with realplayer" is checked, then go to auto restore settings uncheck everything, then go to re-associate and uncheck everything, then open up winamp, then preferences, go to file types then go to select all, then close restart winamp, the audio files should have the winamp logo and will open up with it. if not restart your computer, and all the audio files should have the winamp logo on it.

Old 7th February 2001, 22:18   #4
dbb

RealPlayer has flogged my defaults too.

Hi Mr RSwave2000
I too have the same problems with RealGeek stealing my defaultness. I've tried what you suggested, and many other things, and like that figster guy, I also tried uninstalling as a last resort. Doesn't work either.

It appears that IE itself is looking for RealPlayer.

Do you have any more bright ideas?

Cheers
Steve
dbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2001, 22:23   #5
fish
Pretty Cool Guy

Send a message via AIM to fish
Quote:
Originally posted by figster
"Windows can not find realplay.exe - this program is needed to run .m3u .pls .xpl
this means that the file is still associated with that program, even though it doesn't exist anymore.

eh, heh.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2001, 22:25   #6
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Dunno if this will help any, but hold the shift button down, and right click on a music file. You will see an extra option: "Open With". Select that and choose WinAmp, aslo select the box that says "Always use this program to open this type of file"

hope that helps some...

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2001, 22:33   #7
me109cito

ok
in winamp 2.72 control + P
then:setup,agent and check enable winamp agent
and maintain file associations

if you dont have this options
reinstall winamp

estos foros estan llenos de geeks!!!
no dejes que te atrapen
me109cito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2001, 23:01   #8
dbb

Okay, I think we've all been on the wrong track... I've nearly sussed it, but need some help with the details...

Go to My Computer, View, Folder Options, select the File Types tab, scroll down till you see "MP3 PlayLists (.m3u, .pls, .xpl).

You'll notice that RealFascist has got its lovely little icon beside these, instead of our beloved winamp. So go ahead and change it.

Now, when you're in your browser and clik on a file, it will launch Winamp instead of Real.

But, there's a but. It's not playing the file correctly. Seems to put in three seperate listings in the playlist on mine, one, called 'temporary' one called 'internet files' then the file name.

It's confusing itself... It should be downloading the audio to that 'temporary internet files' directory, but it's shacking itself in WinAmp, for some reason.

That's where I'm stuck now...

Any suggestions?
Old 8th February 2001, 00:03   #9
Rswave2000

ok since the easy way doesn't work do this:

win2000:start, then settings, then control panel, then folder options, then the file types tab, then go to the files you want to open with winamp when you find then go to change and choose the program you want to open

win98: start, settings, folder options and do the rest i said above

(i think WinME is the same as the win2000 way, if not, use the win98 way)

Old 8th February 2001, 00:40   #10
dbb

Yeah, that's essentially what I just said.

Done that.

Did you follow the last bit of my post...

>But, there's a but. It's not playing the file correctly.
>Seems to put in three seperate listings in the playlist on
>mine, one, called 'temporary' one called 'internet files'
>then the file name.

>It's confusing itself... It should be downloading the
>audio to that 'temporary internet files' directory, but
>it's shacking itself in WinAmp, for some reason.

>That's where I'm stuck now...

Cheers for your help...

Peace
Steve
Old 8th February 2001, 02:30   #11
Rswave2000

i know, i didn't see your post til i posted mine.

So, are you using winamp to play real files if so it's going to download those files there because realplayer doesn't only use temporary internet files where it saves files. It saves it files in three different directories if your using the plugin i guess it saves files in it's own directory.

if you are using winamp, i think you should just reinstall real player and let realplayer play real files and let winamp do all the other files it's easier and if you have a pentium 266 or higher with at least 64MB ram it shouldnt slow down your computer when play using it.

Old 8th February 2001, 02:41   #12
bonj
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to bonj
If you guys uninstalled realplayer, why not just go into winamp prefs, Setup > File types > Select all? If realplayer is gone, it can't keep stealing associations.. The file types option from explorer should also work, but this seems like the easier method.

heh?
bonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2001, 01:09   #13
dbb

Hey bonj - that was the first thing we all tried. Never mind. Thanks all the same.

Cheers, RsWave2000 - yeah, I'll go with your suggestion, and begrudgingly let it default to RealPlayer. But ain't that annoying!!

Next time I reinstall my system, I'll be leaving RealPlayer off altogether. Lesson learned. No easy answer. Thread closed?
Old 17th February 2001, 02:27   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yo!
Sorry I'm a bit late on this one, but I've noticed a fair few threads appearing with the same subject matter so I've just run a search for any threads containing .xpl & naturally this one came up in the results, blah blah . . . etc.

This sucks big time. RealSlayer8 is changing the associated extension for playlist files from pls/m3u to some shabby secure xpl format.
This kind of behaviour is scandalous and should be reported to the appropriate authorities.

I take it all you guys want Winamp to be your default player for streaming playlists?

Have you tried totally removing the entry for MP3 Playlists in Folder Options -> File Types?
Hi-lite the entry & click Remove!

This will unregister the xpl extension & should just leave "Winamp Playlist File" (m3u pls) listed as the default. Naturally you need to make sure that m3u & pls are selected in Winamp Prefs -> FileTypes. Also checkmark "Register Files on Winamp start"
First, you should also make sure you have removed all checkmarks in RealPlayer -> Prefs -> Upgrade tab -> Re-Associate & Auto Restore Settings.

With above settings intact, close then re-open Winamp for the changes to take effect.

If this doesn't work, then I'm afraid that the only other solution is to edit the Registry.
We'll only go into this if needs be so!
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2001, 03:02   #15
bonj
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by dbb
Hey bonj - that was the first thing we all tried. Never mind. Thanks all the same.

Cheers, RsWave2000 - yeah, I'll go with your suggestion, and begrudgingly let it default to RealPlayer. But ain't that annoying!!

Next time I reinstall my system, I'll be leaving RealPlayer off altogether. Lesson learned. No easy answer. Thread closed?
Woah since this thread got bumped I noticed my mistake Sorry about that guys.. I should've read the thread more carefully

heh?
Old 17th February 2001, 03:17   #16
xapec

try opening winamps preferences and go to file types, then hit select all and see if that helps (unless someone else suggested that, i didnt read throught the whole thread)
Old 17th February 2001, 04:16   #17
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yes xapec, that's already been mentioned, tried & failed!

Removing "MP3 Playlists" should do the trick (see above).
Basically, RP8 has changed the MIME type association for audio/scpls & audio/x-mpegurl (etc) from pls to xpl. I don't have RP8 myself, but I can post a manual Reg fix if it's needed.
This involves editing the relevant keys in:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type

etc etc etc

However, I only post Reg fixes as a last resort.
Users shouldn't have to go into Regedit to fix simple filetype associations.
That's what Folder Options -> File Types is meant to be for!
Or : Shift + Rt. click -> Open with . . .

I'm keeping an extra special eye on this matter . . . 10 related threads on the forums so far!

Search the forums for .xpl for further details!

We should all form an Anti RP8 League & go plague RealNetworks' support to demand a detailed explanation, and generally give them a major hard time in return! Karmic cycles dudes!
Old 17th February 2001, 04:25   #18
bonj
Major Dude

DJEgg, just post the exported registry key so people won't have to go into their registrys

heh?
Old 17th February 2001, 12:59   #19
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
HELP! - real player is still screwing me
Do you still love each other?
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2001, 14:55   #20
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by bonj
DJEgg, just post the exported registry key so people won't have to go into their registrys
Like I said, I don't have RP8 installed, and it's unlikely I'll ever upgrade from v7.
Therefore, I don't actually have any relevant keys that I can export to a .reg file.
I can make one up I suppose, but I could do with knowing a few things first.
Does removing RP8's entry for MP3 Playlists from Folder Options fix the problem?
(see above for details . . . again)
If not, I'll need someone with RP8 to search their Registry for all keys that include:
.xpl | MP3 Playlist | audio/scpls | audio/x-mpegurl
and to then post the results here (including all associated strings in the right pane).
Otherwise, I can realistically only make a fairly accurate guess, unless I've got some precise reference points to work with. Main things to check are that audio/scpls is associated with the .pls extension & audio/x-mpegurl with the .m3u extension, NOT .xpl

Other keys maybe worth checking:
(also in) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type
audio/mpegurl : extension = .m3u
audio/pls | audio/x-scpls : extension = .pls
Extension = mp3 (for all of the following)
audio/mp3 | audio/m3u | audio/mpeg | audio/mpg | audio/x-mp3 | audio/x-mpeg | audio/x-mpg
Any references to MP3 Playlists & .xpl should ideally be removed!
Like I say, I'm watching the progress of these threads very carefully, so let's just wait for peoples' responses first and take it from there.

Oh, btw . . .
Does this problem only exist when streaming a .pls playlist?
ie. is Winamp still your default pls & m3u player for local playlist files on your HDD ?
This will determine whether any other reg keys have been messed with, apart from MIME.
Naturally, first you'll need to make sure you've unassociated the extensions from RP8 (via : Prefs -> Upgrade tab -> "Re-associate" & "Auto-Restore settings" buttons), and then make sure that pls, m3u & mp3 are selected in Winamp Prefs -> FileTypes.
Old 18th February 2001, 04:40   #21
xapec

Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
Quote:
HELP! - real player is still screwing me
Do you still love each other?
yeah, if they are screwing you and you dont want them to maybee you can charge them with rape.

or you can format your HardDrive reinstall windows & winamp and other shit.
Old 19th February 2001, 02:05   #22
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Anyway, the Reg fix has worked!
Confirmation here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=42393

YESSSSS
Old 19th February 2001, 02:26   #23
dbb

DJEgg, you are the MAN!

Your suggestion:
>Have you tried totally removing the entry for MP3
>Playlists in Folder Options -> File Types?
>Hi-lite the entry & click Remove!

WORKED.

I didn't need to go into the regedit stuff, fortunately. So Winamp is now, again, my default player for streaming audio.

So, big ups to you! Sincere appreciation.

Talofa Mai,
Steve
Old 19th February 2001, 04:36   #24
Rswave2000

you should get RegCleaner you can delete:
programs from add/remove programs list
registry entries
programs in the startup
file-types
and it's all in one program
it's easy to use
and it has a recycling bin type thing in case you delete the wrong thing and you want to restore it

here's the link:
http://fileforum.efront.com/detail.php3?fid=963771680

Old 29th March 2001, 02:06   #25
danlee2

by SSJ4_Gogitta [/i]
[B]Dunno if this will help any, but hold the shift button down, and right click on a music file. You will see an extra option: "Open With". Select that and choose WinAmp, aslo select the box that says "Always use this program to open this type of file"

YES, thank you Gogitta. I had the same bloody problem dbb and figster had with RealPlayer actually being totally many days *gone* from my machine yet still grabbing all my MP3's, and it was this shamedly (for me) easy answer that saved my ass. SO easy, yet I coudn't think of it.

And yeah, for all you having trouble with Real%@!, either throw it away totally and remember this or never get it in this first place. IT gave me nothing but trouble, ever. If I ever need it again I'll grab it, use it, and throw it away again.

thanks again, Gogitta, big time.

dan

danlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2001, 11:26   #26
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
i see how it is just replace me, and with a crappy audio player too, thats ok i still have somebody...

s1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2001, 17:36   #27
edge1868

Shoutcast, RealPlayer8 and xpl files

Well, I finally managed to fix this little issue with RealPlayer constantly handling my shoutcast streams. I had to uninstall RealPlayer, then went into regedit, did a search for '.xpl' and deleted any instance I found. I think there were 3 or so.
This is crazy that RealNetworks would pull this crap on an end user. Especially if you choose to uninstall the program!
edge1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2001, 22:42   #28
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

New tutorial in TSGH:
How to Unassociate RP8 from Streaming Playlists & Make Winamp the Default Instead

Alas, no pretty pics, just a load of text

Includes manual fixes & links to auto reg fixes!
Yes, I've been busy!
Old 28th May 2001, 22:55   #29
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Here's another great example of how useful moderators can be other than policing/babysitting the forums

Way to go, Egg!
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2003, 15:24   #30
RougeNewbie

BAH @ Real Networks

Quote:
Other keys maybe worth checking:

(Also In) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type
audio/mpegurl extension = .m3u
audio/pls | audio/x-scpls extension = .pls
Extension = mp3 (for all of the following)
audio/mp3 | audio/m3u | audio/mpeg | audio/mpg | audio/x-mp3 | audio/x-mpeg | audio/x-mpg

Any references to MP3 Playlists & .xpl should ideally be removed!

Like I say, I'm watching the progress of these threads very carefully, so let's just wait for peoples' responses first and take it from there.
Two years later and someone is STILL finding this post useful! I want to thank you Egg for the work. You completed the puzzle! RealPlayer 8 didn’t support some of the SHOUTcast streams and I wanted to go back to Winamp. Ironically the reason I went to RealPlayer in the first place is that Winamp wouldn’t stream at all (garbled text, even when turning the name streaming off).

Since I couldn’t find much on the forums at first I decided to do some of my own detective work. I deleted the “MP3 Playlist” entry created by RealPlayer and that fixed the “specified path not found” error I was getting when trying to stream a file. But now I had the option of opening an .xpl. When it gave me the option of choosing a program to open the file I thought I had the problem licked: “all I need to do is associate the .xpl file with Winamp.”

When I proceeded to do that Winamp would not play the .xpl file; it would just sit there doing nothing. Since RealPlayer was the one that created the “Mp3 Playlist” association I uninstalled both RP and Winamp and went searching through the registry for every Real and Winamp entry I could find. I was utterly surprised by the amount of stuff left behind by Real. Some stuff was also left behind by Winamp, but no where near as much.

Anyway, after doing that, restarting, trying to re-associate and play around with the .xpl file and almost pulling my hair out I decided to do a search on this file extension, especially since I found it VERY strange that the redirected URL is in .pls and IE tries to open it in .xpl. Sure enough your post solved the puzzle. The mime settings for IE automatically convert the file into the .xpl format, rendering Winamp near useless to play streams.

In fact Real Networks does that a lot in many formats! The kicker is that it does NOT change them back when the program in uninstalled. This leads to a slew of problems and headaches, which, unless you do a lot of digging, will not be easily fixed (not even by the ever-poplar (and user friendly) MP3 Fix program). Obviously Real Networks doesn’t expect the regular end-user to dig this deep to fix the problem. They (correctly) assume that the typical end-user will simply go back to using RealPlayer.

BAH, that’s just plain wrong in my book! Anyway, thanks so much Egg for the solution and I really appreciate the fact you’ve worked to create a friendlier way of fixing this problem. Hopefully those that have this problem in the future won’t have to go through what a lot of us went through.

BTW: Yes, yes I just NOW realized I spelled "Rogue" incorrectly. IT'S THE STRESS!
RougeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2003, 16:10   #31
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
RISEN FROM TEH DEAD!

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions