Old 13th May 2001, 07:08   #1
Darkchoco

Send a message via ICQ to Darkchoco Send a message via AIM to Darkchoco
I just recently installed Winamp 2.74 but there is a bug that I found with my Main Window. After I open up Winamp, everything is fine, but if I minimize it and then try to maximize it, about 3/4 of the window has disappeared! I have 2.74 on two computers, and the other computer works fine with it. The only complication I could think of is my Soundblaster 5.1... It also has nothing to do with my skin, because it happens with other skins too. I have a picture of what the Winamp looks like.

http://darkchoco.hypermart.net/winamp.jpg

Hope you can tell me what to do or fix the problem.
Thanks.
Old 13th May 2001, 08:09   #2
Vintage_!

Maybe you should try to download the new 2.75.I dont think your SB Live!DE 5.1 is causing the problem cos Im using that sound card currently and it work fine.However if you think that likely causes is your sound card, then uninstall/reinstall DE 5.1 again or..another way is to uninstall 2.74 from your computer and if the Winamp folder is still in your C:, delete it manually before you install 2.75.

The other reason I can think of is maybe your skin.Try to change to another one then switch back to the old one again.I hope its work..

Im not trying to discourage you from using Winamp but if the above still fails,then consult DJEgg or change it to another Mp3 program..Sonique is another good catch
Old 13th May 2001, 19:31   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Argghhh, no, don't get Sonique, whatever you do!

Try this:
Close Winamp
Goto C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins
(or the equiv if you installed to another dir)
Remove the file : gen_nomad.dll

Basically, gen_nomad.dll is a General Purpose plugin which is placed in the Winamp\Plugins dir by the SBLive/Audigy PlayCenter installation.
This is a known issue, and I can't believe that Creative Labs are still getting away with it!

btw, there are no General Purpose plugins included in the default Winamp setup.
If there are any other files named gen_*.dll, temporarily disable them by renaming them with the .off extension, eg. gen_mircex.dll.off
[important update, see below]*

Hope this helps.

ps.
If you can't see any DLL files in the Winamp\Plugins dir,
goto: Windows Folder Options -> View tab
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known filetypes"
Checkmark: Show hidden files/Show all files (NOT: Do not show hidden files)
DLL's are classed as hidden/system files under Window's default setup.
All of Winamp's plugins (default or extra) are DLL files.
It is recommended that inexperienced users change these settings back afterwards.

pps. You can also also delete CtnPluginRes.crl which is associated/installed with gen_nomad.dll

[Edited by DJ Egg on 06-17-2001 at 08:33 PM]

[Update: Dec 2003]

Note that in Winamp 5.0 there are now some gen_*.dll files included in the default setup. The following are Nullsoft 1st-party plugins and certified as safe:

gen_ml.dll (Winamp Media Library)
gen_ff.dll (Modern/Freeform Skin Support)
gen_hotkeys.dll (Global Hotkeys)
gen_tray.dll (System Tray Controls)
gen_jumpex.dll (Jump To File Extra)

Also note that in Winamp 2.9x and 5.x
you can now delete gen plugins via the Winamp interface
(Prefs -> Plugins -> General Purpose -> plugin -> uninstall)
Though I'm not 100% sure if gen_nomad.dll even shows up in this menu...
Old 13th May 2001, 20:07   #4
Darkchoco

Send a message via ICQ to Darkchoco Send a message via AIM to Darkchoco
Yep, that was the problem :P
You the man!
Those evil bastards at Creative!
Thanks again.
Old 14th May 2001, 01:05   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Old 14th May 2001, 20:13   #6
Muldoon

Send a message via ICQ to Muldoon Send a message via AIM to Muldoon Send a message via Yahoo to Muldoon
Thanks

I was having the same problem, but I deleted the gen_nomad.dll and now all is well, thanks DJEgg
Old 15th May 2001, 00:09   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I've just submitted a formal complaint at the soundblaster.com feedback site & have demanded an explanation of some sort. Whether they'll respond remains to be seen. I'll let you all know how it goes.
In the meantime, if anyone else would like to do likewise, the url is:
http://www.soundblaster.com/feedback....asp?t=cu&a=ps

Basically, this is getting way out of hand & has to stop!
There has now been just too many known cases reported, on these forums alone.
Imagine how many people (who haven't bothered to check the forums) might've trashed Winamp by now, by thinking it's a Winamp bug & not a 3rd party plugin to blame . . . especially when it's a plugin that the average person won't even know has been installed.
Totally outrageous, totally evil!
Yes, Creative certainly have some explaining to do!
Old 15th May 2001, 01:34   #8
NeoRenegade
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NeoRenegade Send a message via AIM to NeoRenegade
Keep a gun in your computer-desk drawer. If you feel the sudden compulsion to try out Sonique, you know what to do
Old 16th May 2001, 01:19   #9
epdp

Thank you! That fixed my problem too. Geez and to think I was starting to loose faith in Winamp... Anyway, that's been driving me nuts for quite some time now.

Just FYI, I was having another related problem which is now fixed. I have Winamp in my Systray only and when I minimized it would not restore. I had to restart Winamp every time. Anyway, that was the problem!

Thanks again!
Old 24th May 2001, 22:07   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hey!

An entirely new issue with CreativeLabs/SBLive has just been unearthed here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=50447
Shock, horror . . . It's been revealed that now they've decided to also install a replacement MP3 Codec on your system which overrides the default Fraunhofer codec. Typically, this codec (CTMP3.ACM) doesn't work with Shoutcast and produces the dreaded ACM Stream Error message instead

The plot thickens!

btw, I've received a reply from a CreativeLabs technician regarding the gen_nomad.dll issue (4 seperate e-mails so far), and I'll be posting the final results here within the next few days. I'll probably include the entire session, word for word, no edits!

No folks, you've not mistakedly entered the Random Rumor Mill forum . . . believe it or not, you're still in Bug Reports, and this kinda shit is really going down!
Old 25th May 2001, 21:35   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

OK, here's the lowdown:

Too big to include here (11kb), full text version here:
http://www.btinternet.com/~meggamusi...p/Creative.txt
Old 30th May 2001, 00:30   #12
John M
Puts the Cuss in General Discussions
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to John M
wow.. you got an email form a real live person!!!

missyob made me post this.
Old 31st May 2001, 08:56   #13
dassbooty

Thanks for that fix! You are my hero for today. I NEW the SB software was to blame! *en nomad. >:{

I sent them a quick email with that link you posted:

There is a known problem with your SB live Entertainment card. I had the same problem as listed below.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=49692
Please do not modify/destroy other programs in the future. You should warn users before modifying some thing you don't own. I nearly returned the card thinking the software was faulty. I am lucky others have fixed this problem that should never have occured.

I have removed any thing related to nomad from my system and i will be avoiding any hardware/software with the nomad name in the future.
Old 1st June 2001, 00:58   #14
Imfineru

Thanks for the fix...

Yea man, Winamp is my musical life every friday and saturday night. Mixing and grooving and jammin. Uh- oh all of a sudden my time doesn't work, and I can't see me cool little lights flashing. BASTARDS at SB. I sent em a "I'm on Strike" letter. They better not try to take MY Winamp away!

Late
Old 8th June 2001, 01:37   #15
1717FX

Send a message via AIM to 1717FX
THANKS!

I was seeing the problem of my time and and Scope not working, and my seek slider bar wasn't moving. Disabling these gen_*.dlls did the trick (I've got a SBLive Platinum). I was lost..thanks for posting the fix. All is right with my WinAmp again. I couldn't even fathom the thought of going to another player.

1717FX
http://www.mp3.com/1717FX

Old 5th October 2001, 21:52   #16
LittleBuddy88

Send a message via AIM to LittleBuddy88
cool... he's got the same last name as me
maybe a swedish guy?

Linus
Old 15th November 2001, 03:35   #17
NoBS

Thanxs DJEgg and crew.
Didn't even need to scan far to find a solution to my problem.
Too cool, take care.
Old 5th December 2001, 21:23   #18
Socom 303

Thanks Winamp team....I was getting so mad...freaking Playcenter...dang...I would like minomize winamp and then it would mess up and after a certain period of time I could not see the time of the song or the song bar...it was ticking me off and the only way to fix it was to reinstall winamp..freaking Playcenter I only use it everynow and then cause of the purplish skin they got on the thing..personaly Winamp is the easiest to use and the cooliest music player that I have ever seen...can't wait till the final version of Winamp 3 comes out...maybe when it does come out maybe someone will make that playcenter skin that I am talking about who knows lol laterss.

Socom 303
Old 5th December 2001, 22:44   #19
peter
ist death

probably the biggest not-our-bug thread ever.
(not gonna lock/move it)
Old 17th December 2001, 06:36   #20
Qualis

Guess what!!

I just recently bought a SB Audigy and after software instillation, Winamp stopped working correctly. I had also installed a service pack (long story with lots-o driver issues), so I wasn't sure what broke my blessed Winamp. I have been putting up with a broken Winamp for about a month now... Your solution has fixed it for me! It would seem that the morons over at Creative Labs would have figured it out, but obviously not. It is pitiful when your customer base becomes your QA department. I am sadly disappointed in Creative Labs. I have been a fan and supporter for years now, but my recent issues with drivers and such have put a bad taste in my mouth. I will be much more cautious in selecting Creative products now...
Old 11th January 2002, 01:46   #21
Shinyu

Just something I'd like to point out
I had the same problem but it was by somethng completely different

If anyone uses Windows Fx and you try to make winamp.exe transparent then the same problem will occur
Old 1st February 2002, 17:22   #22
Jim Bob

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Bob
I have a sound blaster and there is no file called gen_nomad.dll on my whole PC and Winamp 2.78 and Winamp 3 beta 2 give me no sound when playing mp3s but it is fine when playing a CD.

Does anyone know of a solution to this?
Old 1st February 2002, 17:34   #23
peter
ist death

unmute stuff in windows' volume control (and post on the correct forum next time)
Old 15th February 2002, 16:57   #24
RealmMaster

Send a message via ICQ to RealmMaster Send a message via AIM to RealmMaster Send a message via Yahoo to RealmMaster
Thank god

I came here looking for the answer to this problem, and just happen to spot this sticky thread to Sound Blaster users and it linked me to this topic. I read it and it was just like my problem. So i closed winamp, deleted the gen_nomad.dll and POOF, the problem i was having with winamp was gone instantly. Thanks for pointing me out to this terrilbe plug-in. Creative Labs really should either fix the plugin or stop sneaking it into my winamp directory.
Old 15th February 2002, 19:01   #25
peter
ist death

offtopic: i think i know what gen_nomad.dll does - looks like it replaces winamp's windowproc (puts a hook) and doesn't call regular windowproc with messages (and makes everything puke); in other words - the person who wrote it had absolutely no clue about windows programming.
Old 23rd March 2002, 09:31   #26
Pasan

Nomad control plugin for Winamp

I was racking my brains out trying to figure out *why* my Winamp's time, progress, and song name scroller were all stationery while a song was playing. And sometimes...It wouldn't maximise after I'd minimised it into the systray. Creative ought to be sued for that crappy plugin and installing it onto our machines without our knowledge.
Old 28th March 2002, 13:34   #27
rknauer

Quote:
Originally posted by DJEgg
I've just submitted a formal complaint at the soundblaster.com feedback site & have demanded an explanation of some sort. Whether they'll respond remains to be seen. I'll let you all know how it goes.
In the meantime, if anyone else would like to do likewise, the url is:
http://www.soundblaster.com/feedback....asp?t=cu&a=ps

Basically, this is getting way out of hand & has to stop!
There has now been just too many known cases reported, on these forums alone.
Imagine how many people (who haven't bothered to check the forums) might've trashed Winamp by now, by thinking it's a Winamp bug & not a 3rd party plugin to blame . . . especially when it's a plugin that the average person won't even know has been installed.
Totally outrageous, totally evil!
Yes, Creative certainly have some explaining to do!
Have Winamp check for the presence of rogue plugins and neutralize them.
Old 28th March 2002, 13:48   #28
peter
ist death

Quote:
Originally posted by rknauer

Have Winamp check for the presence of rogue plugins and neutralize them.
go convince Justin to do that and you will be my personal hero.
Old 7th May 2002, 04:17   #29
dmrfresh

Send a message via AIM to dmrfresh
I was searching for the solution, and finally found this....thank god. The funny part about it, is that I have the Nomad Jukebox, and when I try to use that plugin, it just says its not connected, even though the playcenter(which is used to manipulate the files on the jukebox) can see the jukebox as connected. In other words, it looks like the plugin doesn't even do anything. Creative makes some crap software, no doubt.
Old 18th May 2002, 13:46   #30
contraf

Send a message via ICQ to contraf
Sound Blaster problems Solved.

I bought a sound blaster audigy and i found a way to solve all the problems, I had my ears cauterized. It works out just great, I am even on welfare now. You all should try it. Thank you creative labs for changing my life.
Old 4th June 2002, 06:00   #31
drick

can this be the answer

i think this may fix my problem as well.

i was getting BSOD (not easy to do with XP) EVERTY TIME i played mp3's through Winamp 2.80

The error i got was "bad pool caller" then some ugly string of stop codes.

Creative (US) has blown me off about 20 times so far, i sent them the entire string and link, i'll let everyone know what happens.

I also will be VERY grateful to have Winamp back in full force if this fixes it.

Thnx
Old 10th June 2002, 06:27   #32
padde

*lol*

that's cool...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zwischenablage.jpg (19.9 KB, 1501 views)
Old 11th July 2002, 21:22   #33
skamp

Denny's improved gen_nomad.dll plugin

Denny had made an improved version of the Nomad plug-in (gen_nomad.dll) that worked perfectly fine and didn't have those bugs. I had downloaded it, but unfortunately I've accidentaly formated my hard drive.

I know Denny doesn't work at Nullsoft anymore, and he has removed the file to download from his website at winamp (http://genghis.winamp.com/~denny/nomad/).

Does someone still have it ?
Old 11th July 2002, 23:44   #34
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I don't think it was Denny who coded it, he just hosted it on his site.
From what I remember, it was after I brought this thread to his attention that he contacted Creative and it was them who sent him these so called fixed versions of gen_nomad.dll (9-Oct-2001 - 96k) and CtnPluginRes.crl (9-Oct-2001 - 64k). So, all I can suggest is that you contact Creative the same way he did, because I very much doubt if anyone here's got a copy...
Old 12th July 2002, 05:15   #35
drick

i am still getting the BSOD, just not as often. here is what creative said:

Response from Creative: 6/13/2002 12:40:53 PM

Derek,

First of all, most of the configurations you have and applications we do not support. For example:

1) We do not support systems with multi-processors.

2) The applications that are reporting the error are third-party, which means that we do not manufacture them, which also results in the fact that we do not have any in-depth information regarding the software and it's compatibilities/incompatibilities.

3) We do not support multi-tasking while performing a task such as writing CD's. This causes many problems, for the system should not be in use while writing a CD.

These are just a few of the situations that are probably causing this problem. Also, we are not aware of Winamp having a problem associated with any of our files. If this was the case, we would hear about this problem in great quantities. Since the Winamp application is crashing, maybe you should try repairing the Winamp situation with the help of the Winamp manufacturers, as with EZ CD Creator also. Their manufacturer is Roxio.

Jeremiah
Creative Labs Technical Support
Old 13th July 2002, 22:35   #36
skamp

Norton's GHOST rules : I found it back. You may download it here :
ftp://skamp.net/pub/windows/apps/mul...amp_plugin.zip
Old 14th July 2002, 00:08   #37
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by drick
Response from Creative: 6/13/2002 12:40:53 PM

Derek,

...we are not aware of Winamp having a problem associated with any of our files. If this was the case, we would hear about this problem in great quantities. Since the Winamp application is crashing, maybe you should try repairing the Winamp situation with the help of the Winamp manufacturers...
Jeremiah
Creative Labs Technical Support
drick
Could you please PM me with the direct e-mail address for this Jeremiah person from CreativeLabs.
I honestly cannot believe the arrogance/ignorance...

Could you also post your full sys specs (mobo/chipset, cpu, ram, videocard)
Is it WinXP Home or Pro Ed? And is it retail or pirated?
Is all your hardware on WinXP's compatibility list?

Is it an SBLive or Audigy card?

There's not much in the google search results for bad pool caller, but it's definitely a hardware/driver issue.
Old 14th July 2002, 00:57   #38
peter
ist death

Quote:
Originally posted by drick
1) We do not support systems with multi-processors.
note to self: when someone complains about problems with audigy on multiprocessor systems again, put this quote.
Old 19th July 2002, 17:39   #39
wang0

ati

if anyone is interested, there are also a number of compatibility issues with Creative and ATI. Somehow creative screwed up the Mixer control and the only way to get the ATI Player's volume control is to plug it into the mic input. Pretty ghay if you ask me!

Christian
Old 19th July 2002, 22:42   #40
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yes, the main compatibility issue is with devcon32.dll (System dir).
Creative's SB Live/Audigy cards use this file as one of the main drivers, but if you install an ATI videocard, this file gets replaced by ATI's version (and vice-versa), thus causing all kinds of nightmare problems...
In your case, you probably installed the Creative card after the ATI, so ATI's devcon32.dll got replaced with Creative's version.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support