Old 26th June 2001, 12:29   #1
ducc

Send a message via ICQ to ducc Send a message via AIM to ducc
Hey,

I'm using Windows 2000 Pro sp2, and Winamp 2.76.

When I play any MP3, the player will skip; much like how a record skips. Except with Winamp, the skip is always forward. The skip doesn't always happen at the same point in a song (although it seems some places are more likely to skip than others, it doesn't always skip in thoes places when I rewind and try to recreate the skip). I thought it was a bad MP3 that was causing the skip, but then I found that all my (several hundered) MP3's were doing it. I don't think CD's have skipped on me. I usually use 192 bit files, but the skip is not limited to them.

Got any ideas?
ducc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2001, 22:27   #2
gtown330

Me Too

I have noticed the same behavior on my machine. I have also noticed that Windows Meda Player 7 behaves exactly the same way. Both of them seem to also have the same trouble with CDs as well. I have tried both reinstalling Winamp and my audio drivers was well. It seems to me like it may be a problem with the audio codecs. Do Media player and winamp share codec?
gtown330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2001, 06:27   #3
Mr. Ice
Captain Moderator

first off, no. winamp does not share codecs with windows media player.

here's a a previous thread that answers the skipping question. the two thing not mentioned there are that "smooth scrolling" in internet explorer can cause skipping on older systems and having dma turned off on ide harddrives can cause it depending on your configuration.

if you're having problems playing back an audio cd, try switching output plugins. (between wave out and directsound). if you're having the same sound problems in all programs, update to the latest directx (8.0a), update all your drivers (not just sound), and make sure all your cables are connected properly.

/dev/null
Mr. Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2001, 15:21   #4
gtown330

A Little More Info

The machine that I am referencing is actually a laptop. I have two different hard drives that I use (seperately not together) with this laptop. The other hard drive is a Win98 install on which I have no problems with Winamp. I have noticed that when I run the DirectX Diag tool that there some deffinate differences between the 98 and 2k hard drives. On the 2k hard drive the diag tool says that my sound card does not support hardware buffering, but the 98 diag tool does. Also, i have noticed that when test music through direct x I get the same sort of skipping. I am begining to lean towards some IRQ conflict. It does not seem to matter where I set the priority or buffer size for any of the processes. it also does not seem to matter whether I use wave or Direct X as the output device. To let you know I have also opened a case with Microsoft, put any additionaly insight that you have would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 28th June 2001, 00:23   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Well, some proper sys specs wouldn't go amiss, especially soundcard details!

Are you sure you're using the correct drivers?
Are they WDM or VXD drivers? (Win2k drive)

If you really want more input, then check out this thread:
TSGH -> Useful Links : "Problems with skipping" section

btw, Mr. Ice . . . everything is mentioned in there, including dma & smooth scrolling, and much much more! (plenty links)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2001, 14:45   #6
gtown330

sys specs

Win2k SP2
256 Mb of Ram
PIII 650
ESS Maestro-3i Onboard PCI sound card
WDM Sound drivers
IRQ 9 for the sound card

I am going to check out those other forums that you referenced
Old 29th June 2001, 17:15   #7
gtown330

It's fixed

I tried several of the things listed on the last thread that you linked me to. However, none of them worked. Ultimately, I went to Dell and got an updated version of the IDE controller for my laptop. I replaced the intel version that win2k installs by default with that driver. Now neither winamp or media play skip. thanks for the help.
Old 1st July 2001, 03:12   #8
Mr. Ice
Captain Moderator

from my first post:
>update all your drivers (not just sound)

see... i'm not on crack...

/dev/null
Mr. Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2003, 04:55   #9
mesue

Another solution to audio distortion on Windows 2000 w/ IDE controller

After having gone through this twice, having forgotten the fix from the first time, I am posting it here in case I forget once again. Oh, and hopefully it will help others, too.

Applies to systems running Windows 2000 SP3 with a Maxtor UltraATA IDE Controller card. (maybe Promise cards too; I think they use the same driver as Maxtor cards.)

The audio distortion started after installing SP3 and updating the controller card to Ultra.sys Build 36. Maxtor has instructions for reverting to a pre-SP3 version of scsiport.sys that fixed the problem for me the first time. Those instructions are here: http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/m...=&p_faqid=1236

However, I recently reinstalled my system, and that fix didn't work this time. I had to revert to an earlier version of the controller card driver. Ultra.sys Build 20 doesn't seem to cause any sound distortion for me.

So I guess this is one of those exceptions to the rule of always using the latest driver...
mesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports