Old 9th July 2001, 01:27   #1
rojazz

I recently reformatted my hard drive, and after reinstalling winamp, I found that after closing it, a process would stay open and eat up 100% of my cpu (causing programs to open extremely slowly, and overall laggyness). this wasn't an issue before i reinstalled windows 2000, and i have tried with both the default install, and service pack 2.

i've seen topics like this on this forum, and my suspicion is that winamp 2.76 may be the issue. however, i'm unable to come across a copy of 2.6x to verify it.

and yes...i'm sure it's winamp that's eating up the processes. when i go to the task manager, i check the process tab, and as soon as winamp is exited (i'm guessing that for some reason, winamp isn't closing properly), the number in the cpu column skyrockets, as does my cpu utilization. please note that i don't even have to play an mp3 for the cpu processes to be eaten up...all i have to do is open winamp, close it, and it immediately starts churning away.

has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did they rememedy it? i've got tons of mp3s here that i always listen to, and it just becomes a real inconvenience that when i really do need those processes, i have to go to the task manager and manually turn quit winamp.

and yes...i've already tried a clean installation of winamp 2.76, and that didn't do the trick

any help?
rojazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2001, 20:05   #2
rojazz

bah, since no one helped me, and i've noticed that other people have had this problem, i'll respond to my own thread

looks like i had a copy of the gen_mircex plugin installed...it's the "alternative" mirc plugin that feeds ID3 info to your irc window.

removing the plugin seems to have solved my problem

there's seems to be an update to the version on the website, and it's available at
http://binaryc.teamreaction.com/bin/gen_mircex.zip

this should fix the problem if anyone else has it
Old 9th July 2001, 22:06   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Problems with mIRC Ex plugin:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=45626

btw, sometimes you've gotta be patient round here to get an answer.
We can't always be guaranteed to answer your questions straight away, we can't be on-line 24/7 . . . some of us have lives to live

However, you can always be guaranteed to get an answer within 24 hours of posting, which ain't bad for free tech support, eh?

Anyway, glad to see you sorted it out by yourself.
We're all for promoting self-help round here y'know.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2001, 02:59   #4
rojazz

yeah, i understand. i do a lot of tech support myself (and i mean, a lot). actually, the newer version of mirc_ex didn't seem to help. whatever though, at least there are alternatives
Old 10th July 2001, 22:42   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yup, you're not wrong there!
Here's a small list of alternative plugins:
Justin's mIRC Plugin
IRC Control Ex by Brian Harris
mIRCPlug by Jonathan Cloots

There's probably more,
but there's just too many General Purpose plugins to search through.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support