Old 13th August 2001, 21:35   #1
skintigh

Send a message via Yahoo to skintigh
CDDB and proxy (yes I read all the threads)

Okay, I read all the threads about this and I was basically convinced that Winamp will never be able to access cddb info because my corporate firewall blocks the cddb protcol.

Why then is FreeRIP able to access cddb info through my firewall?

FreeRIP uses the server www.freedb.org, does that server use a different protocol?

skintigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2001, 21:42   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

How to Configure Winamp to access FreeDB
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2001, 22:43   #3
skintigh

That doesn't work for me, I'm assuming port 8880 is blocked. Or maybe its because my network is so weird.

Here's my setup:
I have a proxy/firewall but I don't need to configure web browsers on my NT box (or UNIX) to tell them about it, they are all able to access the web. I don't know if they automatically know about the proxy or are avoiding it entirely. If someone could explain that one to me it would be nice.

I also know the address of the proxy. I can set the browsers to use the proxy, but then all my traffic goes through a censor box that doesn't like any web site that has to do with computer security...

FreeRIP runs auto detect for a proxy and detected none. It uses port 80 and is able to connect to freedb.

I set Winamp with and without a proxy entry but I cannont connect to any cddb server on port 8880 with either of the cd plugins. I changed the port to port 80, as I thought was allowed with the CD Reader 1.91 plugin, but still it doesn't work.

Then I gave up because I though the protocol was blocked, but if FreeRIP can do it, shouldn't Winamp be able to to?

Old 14th August 2001, 00:51   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hmmm . . . it should work with CDReader, but you need to enter the correct address in order to use http port 80. Simple typing freedb.freedb.org:80 won't work, it needs the extra /~cddb/cddb.cgi at the end.
Click the link to freedb servers for more info, and a list of more servers to try.

I would've linked you to the relevant thread from TSGH -> Useful Links -> Problems with CDDB & proxy / firewalls [further tips] section, but apparently it's been deleted (I can't even find it in the hidden archives) . . . something I'm not too pleased about
This thread had a list of alternative cddb servers, plus the correct method to use for configuring port 80 addresses.
I remember putting a lot of research into that particular post at the time, but now it's gone. Grrrrrrr
Seeing I've personally never had any need to use a port 80 address before, I can't remember the exact method now. I'm not sure if you type it with the full freedb.freedb.org:80 http://www.freedb.org/~cddb/cddb.cgi or what.
Maybe it's just freedb.freedb.org:80 /~cddb/cddb.cgi
Sorry, but it's been so long, I can't remember now.

That's supposed to be the beauty of having those links in TSGH, so we can refer to them if needs be, rather than having to remember every precise detail.
I'll have to bring this matter up backstage, though I'm sure no-one will admit to it. Things like this make me want to just pack my bags & leave.

Maybe there's some more info on the freedb.org site, or GraceNote's cddb.com
There's definitely a tech support/help section at both, and a forum @ freedb.org

If this info doesn't help, I'll have to research the whole thing all over again.
I'll post the results here, and link to this thread in TSGH instead of the awol one.

What a carry on, eh?

btw, is there a configure option in FreeRIP, and if so, what's the exact address it uses?
Can't you just use the same one with CDReader?
If so, please post the address here. It might save me a lot of extra work
Old 22nd August 2001, 00:35   #5
skintigh

FreeRip uses www.freedb.org as the complete address. There is no configure button, just a combo list of different server names at freedb.org.

I've tried a number of address combinations with Winamp and so far no luck. It's hard to tell when I'm actually testing a new addr or just wasting time since there is no "refresh cddb info" button or the like, and it's pretty random when WinAmp queries for names, if ever.

I really really really confused myself for a while, when it would randomly get the names. Then I realized I had discovered a work-around of sorts - open every disc in FreeRip first (telling it to use cdplayer.ini) and then open it in WinAmp (telling cdreader to do the same).
Old 22nd August 2001, 20:03   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Well yes, that's certainly one pretty cool workaround
However, I'm sure everyone must agree that it's about time the Winamp CDDB feature worked for everyone using a proxy connection, whether with the default plugin or CDReader. This is crazy!
I'm adding this to The Official Winamp 2x Bug List, although it's not a bug as such, more of a missing feature.
Old 22nd August 2001, 20:34   #7
skintigh

As an addendum to my work-around, if you've already played the cd in Winamp, you need to run FreeRip and close it, then swap in a different CD and run Winamp again, then swap CDs back before WinAmp checks cdplayer.ini for names again. Opening and closeing the CD drive isn't enough. Playing an mp3 would probably work, too.

A refresh option would be nice...

So I've preety much given up trying to make cddb work, but did you say someone once got it to work? If so I'll toy with it now and then.

Thanks for the help
Old 23rd August 2001, 11:32   #8
Jim Bob

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Bob
CDDB does not work for me either and I have a proxy that does not need to programs to be configured to use it. They can just go straight thoguh it. But winamp has this same program
Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support