Old 26th September 2001, 01:21   #1
JQuick

Multiple Winamp instances upon computer boot

I haven't seen this one in the forums at all. I realize that this is not a bug or problem with winamp, but with my computer. I was just hoping that maybe someone had experienced the same thing. When my computer boots up, three instances of Winamp start up. I am using Winamp 2.76 with Windows 98. I do not have the agent turned on, and I do not have winamp in my startup directory (or in my autoexec for that matter). Plus, I do not have "Allow Multiple Instances" checked off, so I don't see why it brings up three of them. Has anyone seen anything like this?
Old 26th September 2001, 01:53   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, it's been reported maybe once or twice before, though I don't think we ever established the actual cause. I seem to remember something about a certain program being uninstalled and then Winamp somehow got mysteriously associated with some leftover filetypes that used to belong to this other program. Like I say, it's all a bit vague.
Is there anything listed in the playlists?
If I recall correctly, it was C:\Program or just Program in the other case/s.

Yeah, I had this person opening msconfig -> startup tab, and removing checkmarks next to this uninstalled program (whatever it was); opening windows.ini and system.ini and checking for any erroneous entries; we even went deep into the registry too

I think unchecking "register files on start" in Prefs -> Filetypes also helped,
though I remember one person saying he had maybe 12 or more winamps opening @ bootup, and unchecking this setting reduced it down to 3 or 4.
Maybe the "select none" button played a major role too?

I also recall me thinking at the time that it could be some kind of virus to blame, though this was never proved or confirmed either.

I know how we fixed it in the end though, by using the Basic Uninstall -> Reinstall method: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=50818

Maybe try rebooting once before you reinstall.
Just remember to backup the relevant files first (as explained in the link)
Old 27th September 2001, 21:12   #3
JQuick

Thanks. I'll take a look at that. Yes, you're correct, Program shows up in the playlist. I'll have to see if there's any files in the root directory named that. I don't believe it is a virus. I think I recall fully scanning my system since this has started, but I guess I should try it to be sure. If I discover anything from your suggestions, I'll try to remember to put it up. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 27th September 2001, 21:14   #4
JQuick

Oh, one thing I forgot. I believe files with no extension may be associated with winamp for whatever reason. I would have to look (I'm not home right now).
Old 27th September 2001, 21:17   #5
Sawg

Quote:
Originally posted by JQuick
Oh, one thing I forgot. I believe files with no extension may be associated with winamp for whatever reason. I would have to look (I'm not home right now).
Known bug Should be fixed in Winamp 2.77

Old 27th September 2001, 22:16   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Infact, that could well be the cause of the problem.
I don't remember the other two previous cases mentioning anything about this, but I'm certainly glad that you have!
There'll be a few extensionless system files loading @ startup and it looks like they're being intercepted by Winamp, eg. ShellIconCache, ttfCache, REGBACKA (all in Windows dir). These files all have the system+hidden attributes (File -> properties).

Easiest suggested fix:
Winamp -> Prefs -> Filetypes
Click "select none" button
Close Prefs -> exit Winamp
Reopen Winamp
Prefs -> Filetypes: Uncheck "register files on Winamp start"
Reselect the extensions you want to be associated with Winamp
Close Prefs, exit Winamp, wait a few minutes, reboot.

If the problem persists, then (apart from the uninstall -> reinstall method as suggested above) the only option you have left is to edit the Registry.

start -> run -> regedit
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
Delete all reference to Winamp under the fullstop (period) key [.] (usually about 1 to 4 entries down the list)
ie. in the right pane, hi-lite the [default] string -> Edit menu -> modify.
remove the text where it says "Winamp.File"

This will fix it permanently.
Old 28th September 2001, 04:16   #7
JQuick

Hey hey! Whaddya know. That was exactly it. I did the last one there (I didn't try the first few suggestions). I opened Winamp, Preferences, File Types, hit the Select None button, closed preferences, closed Winamp, re-opened Winamp, Preferences, File Types, made sure the check box for re-associating at startup was un-checked, selected a few file types, closed preferences, closed Winamp, and when I rebooted (I rebooted a couple times to make sure it wasn't a fluke), Winamp did not come up. (Sorry about that last sentence; it was poorly written.) It must have been the association to the "extension-less" files. Thank you very much.
Old 28th September 2001, 22:33   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Cool beans!

Hey, well now we know. Thank you too
Old 29th September 2001, 22:44   #9
JQuick

I did also see a .pls file in my Windows directory. Those were also associated with winamp. I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Just thought I'd let ya know...something to check out if ya get time. Thanks again.
Old 29th September 2001, 22:59   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Unlikely!

.pls files are simply playlist files (ascii text format)
It's a good thing to have these associated with Winamp
(eg. for Shoutcast Radio Stations)

Open it in Notepad to see what actual links (playlist entries) are in it.

As long as there was no reference to this .pls file anywhere in your config files (system.ini, windows.ini) or in the Run key in the Registry (also very unlikely) then this file will not load @ bootup regardless of whether it's in the Windows dir or not.

I think we can safely be assured that it was the erroneous association with extensionless files which caused the problem
Old 2nd October 2001, 15:02   #11
JQuick

Well, it isn't a playlist. When I open it in a text editor, it's just garbage, so it must be some other format. Plus, I've tried dragging it into winamp, and nothing happens. I haven't looked in my ini files or the registry for it, yet. If I think of it, when I'm home, I will. It was just a thought, anyway. Like you said, it probably was the files with no extension.
Old 3rd October 2001, 06:32   #12
JQuick

Well, I checked it out, and no, the pls file is not in my run key in the registry, or in any of my system files (ini's, autoexec, config, etc.). Therefore, it must have been the non-extension files. I wonder what this pls file is, though. Brought up in a text editor, it begins with MZ (I know GIF files will begin with GIF or GIF89, and JPEG files will begin with JPEG or JFIF). Plus, there is the usual "This program cannot be run in DOS" or whatever the exact phrase is along with other errors in there. The file name is rr1st.pls. It really doesn't matter. It's just a side thought. Well, I guess my problem is taken care of, and we've found the problem, so thank you again for your time and help.
Old 3rd October 2001, 18:58   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmm . . . weird. This suggests that it's a renamed .DLL file, probably belonging to some installed program (no idea which, got any programs installed with the initials R.R. ?) . . . but why the programmer chose .pls as the extension is beyond me.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about it though, the (ex) problem was DEFINITELY caused by the association with extensionless files.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support