Here is my guide to getting greek (or for that matter any other language!) fonts enabled in Winamp's Playlist if you are having problems (i.e text is being displayed as gibberish!) and changing your regional settings to that locale is not working
I know it does not solve the problem about opening files but at least it's a cludge that can work for some people hopefully
1) Download the Tixoft Font Plug II plugin for winamp from
and install it.
2) Download an appropriate font for your language and install it. If you are using greek download the fonts from
I personally use the Times New Roman Greek font from there but you can use anyone you want to
If you do not know how to install fonts in your system look at the following website for windows systems
or macintosh systems
3) Right-Click in the main window and from the button of the menu choose
Configure Tixoft Font Plug II
4) In the new window that appears click on Setup and then make sure the check box that says
"Enable Font Plug for playlist text(win 9x Only)"
5) Click on Setup->Fonts
and choose the font you want to display the text in
6) If all is well everything should appear as you want
If you would like to convert the ID3 tags from the Greek Codepage (CP-1253 for example) to unicode you can use the following utility "Character Set Converter 1.01". Download it from
At the moment it only supports western layouts but it can also be programmed to use other character sets/codepages.
Hopefully this will help people out there. In case of any queries do not hesitate to e-mail me at:
As I am not greek please e-mail me in English if you need any assistance. Bye for now