Old 23rd November 2001, 20:50   #1
Nigel Pull

Scrolling in IE causes distortion

When I scroll in IE while running Winamp the sound becomes distorted and slows down. Does anyone have a fix for this?
Nigel Pull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2001, 05:23   #2
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

Could be just your computer's too slow. Specs?
flatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2001, 13:52   #3
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

It's not neccesarily if the computer is too slow...

I used to get this problem on a P300 when I was running at 1.024x768, but not at 800x600. When I got an off-board video card the problem was gone.
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2001, 13:54   #4
NeoRenegade
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NeoRenegade Send a message via AIM to NeoRenegade
Ouch

Well then, I just learned today that onboard video has as many problems as onboard sound
NeoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2001, 15:21   #5
Nigel Pull

Specs

Specs:
Pentium Pro 200
64meg Ram
SoundBlaster AWE 32 PnP
Matrox Millenium w/4meg
800x600
Windows 95 4.00.950b
IE 5.00.2314.1003

Incidently, I have burned some mp3s on a CD and when I play them off there the skipping does not occur. It only seems to happen when I play them from C or E(which is a partition of C).
I use a small harddrive, 200meg, I found in the garbage at school to hold my mp3s and when I play off it no problem. But as you can imagine I run out of room there so I spill over on to my E drive, which is where I run into the problem.
Old 24th November 2001, 21:59   #6
Budgie
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Budgie
Hmmm, sounds pretty much like your videocard and soundcard steal bus bandwidth from each other, i.e. like when your videocard heavily accesses the bus, it stalls the entire bus while accessing, meaning that your soundcard is stalled as well. That happens especially while scrolling, moving windows and so on.

Try installing newer drivers for both your video- and your soundcard. There are Windows standard drivers for the Matrox videocards, that are a tad slower, but work flawlessly. Your soundcard might be an issue as well.

Update your drivers. It's pretty much a driver incompatibility.

What confuses me is that it plays fine from CD (I just stumbled over it in your last post ) ...

What about your 200 MB harddrive ( )? I am seriously thinking that that's the reason. It's very unlikely that it supports CPU overhead - reducing DMA modes, besides it must be really slow. Maybe too slow to provide a constant stream so the MP3 will play without pops and gaps.

Well, you can try increasing the buffer, which gives your harddrive time to catch up . In order to do this, try the following: Open up Winamp first, then press both CTRL+P to make the preferences window to appear. Then you should go to Plug-ins -> Output -> doubleclick on the item named Nullsoft waveOut plug-in v2.3. A new configuration window should appear. Now increase the slider for Buffer length to 4000ms, or 8000ms. Just go higher until the gaps disappear.

Peace.

Please consider the Forum Rules before posting utter crap. Thank you!
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2001, 23:21   #7
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoRenegade
Well then, I just learned today that onboard video has as many problems as onboard sound
Yeah, I would never buy anything with onboard video or sound ever again - it's just at the time I didn't have enough money for new everything (my previous PC had VESA local bus, so I'd have had to have bought new Video card but bought one of those combo-boards instead).

Luckily I've just bought a new gigabyte one, with offboard graphics (TNT2) and sound (creative pci128) and it all works fine again.
Old 24th November 2001, 23:48   #8
NeoRenegade
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NeoRenegade Send a message via AIM to NeoRenegade
The good thing is, the most affordable way to get a computer around where I live is from a store called Microbytes. There are a few horror stores about the place, but generally all their systems are the good sort - no cheap crap, no onboard sound or video. They just pack a crappy soundcard in some packages, for instance a C-Media soundcard was what was originally on this computer. Turns out that C-Media card is cheaper than USD$10.

But the older computer we got had a Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI, all in all not too bad. But it fried a few months ago.

Anyways, maybe we should move this thread into GD or Bitchlist now?
NeoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2001, 00:50   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Although you were undoubtedly just kiddin', and I'm sorry to butt in on your wonderful conversation guys, but why would we wanna move this thread when it's obvious by the specs above that Nigel doesn't have an onboard sound or video card . . . although Matrox cards are renowned to be pretty poor.

Like Budgie says, check to make sure nothing's sharing the IRQ with your soundcard, especially the videocard! If so, the fix is to try assign a new irq in Device Manager
Soundcard/Display adapter -> properties -> resources
Uncheck "use automatic settings", double click Interrupt Request setting in config box above and change IRQ to a free/unused one instead.
If Windows won't let you do this, you'll have to do it in the BIOS settings @ bootup instead

If not, then the videocard could still be stealing bus bandwidth from the s/c.
The fix is to either update all the drivers,
or to configure system.ini as follows:

[display]
busthrottle=1

Loads more info/tips in the relevant section of:
TSGH -> Useful Links
(RE: Skipping / freezing / clicking & popping during playback)

eg.
Disabling smooth scrolling (in both IE & Windows Explorer)
Making sure DMA is enabled for the hard drive/s
Using DirectSound Output and tweaking the settings (create/play primary buffer)
Using PP's experimental DirectSound Output

etc etc etc

As you can see, it could be a number of things which cause skipping/distortion. However, none of them are directly Winamp's fault.

Usually, it's the soundcard drivers to blame, but I doubt if you're gonna find any new drivers for the SBAWE32. The last ones were released in 1998 & are still available @ www.soundblaster.com/drivers/

It's definitely worth looking up the latest available matrox drivers though.

It would also be wise to upgrade DirectX, if you haven't already done so.

Thus ends another mini novel, hehe
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2001, 17:24   #10
Nigel Pull

The fixes are in.

I have made a whole bunch of changes to my old computer and have ended up with no distortion while I scroll in IE.
I added the [display] busthrottle=1 to the system.ini, checked the DMA boxes for my hardrives (what is that anyway?) and downloaded/installed the latest drivers for my SB. No distortion!
I still get some snap, crackle and pop while I drag a window around the screen but who cares. I just wanted to scroll and surf without the noise.
Thanks to those who contributed their wisdom.

Old 25th November 2001, 17:50   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Weyhey! Knew it would work

As I said, it's very rarely the actual app to blame, it's invariably always the hardware/config/drivers/etc.

btw, DMA = Direct Memory Access

Did you also goto: Folder Options -> View tab
and uncheck "show window content while dragging" ?

Also, mouse control panel -> motion tab -> uncheck "show pointer trails"

aye, the tweaks are endless . . .
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2001, 20:39   #12
Budgie
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Budgie
Quote:
Originally posted by DJEgg
btw, DMA = Direct Memory Access
[teacher-like voice]Yes, DMA is actually being used to bypass majority of CPU power to read and write data from and to the (hard-)drive. Enabling DMA mode should really decrease CPU overhead as well as increasing speed . Apply to CD drives as well.[/teacher-like voice].

By the way, great to hear you could fix it .

Peace.

Please consider the Forum Rules before posting utter crap. Thank you!
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2001, 02:01   #13
Nigel Pull

Update

Actually, I just discovered that the problem is not entirely gone.
I still get some distortion. It seems that it still happens on some web pages. Not as many as it did though, which was all of them.
I also had a bit of a scare. I enabled DMA for all the drives on my system including the "garbage drive" I use to store Mp3s. When I rebooted, my primary IDE controller had a little yellow circle with a ! in it (Not Working). My floppy drive was sluggish and to top it off, my little garbage drive did not show up in the Device Manager, so I could not turn off the DMA.
I tried a bunch of things including opening the case up, removing the HD and shaking it around a bit.
Finally I crawled through the registry and found a value that did not look right and made the appropriate changes. "Whew", I said and went to Hooters for some wings.
I tried a Matrox video driver update but that screwed a bunch of stuff up too.
I am back to the original changes I made before:
[display]
busthrottle=1
DMA on all drives except the little one.
New SB drivers
I will check more of the "Useful Links"
Old 26th November 2001, 18:05   #14
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

Yeah, we forgot to say - its not a good idea to use DMA transfers on older drives, it wont work (which is why the default setting is off )

IIRC reinstalling the IDE drivers sets it back to off, for anyone else who's done it and doesn't fancy trawling the registry!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support