Old 25th November 2001, 00:52   #1
WinAmpMan

Can't open other ".exe" programs

I download winamp not too long ago, and it work great. I liked it a lot better than media player witch I was using before. But now it seems that winamp has attached itself to all the ".exe" files on my computer. All the files and programs on my desktop including AOL, MSWord, Excel, and almost every other program I have. When I click on the icon on my desktop to open the program, it doesn't open but winamp opens with the name of the program or file in the play list of winamp. I also noticed that the icons to all the programs and files have a little arrow in the lower left corner. I tried uninstalling winamp but than when I try to open the programs an error box comes up saying "can't find winamp." If anyone can tell me what I can do to get my computer working like normal, can you please tell me. I would appreciate it.
WinAmpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2001, 01:02   #2
Sawg

Sounds like a virus, run a virus scanner
delete any third party plug-ins
Old 25th November 2001, 01:14   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

System specs? What is your Windows OS ?????

I might be able to provide a regfix if it's Win9x/ME,
otherwise you might have to reinstall Win2k/XP

Though like sawg says, it definitely sounds like a virus,
especially if all your EXE files have turned into shortcuts
(the little arrow icon is usually for shortcut .LNK files)

However, most icons on the desktop are just shortcuts anyway.
Try to open the source files in the the actual directories, not the shortcuts.
eg. My Computer -> C:\ Drive -> Program Files -> . . . . .

Also check to see if all the original files aren't hidden (some viruses can give certain filetypes the "hidden" attribute, eg. MP3, JPG, DOC, EXE, etc)

Folder Options -> View tab:
Checkmark "show hidden files" ("show all files" under Win9x)
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known filetypes"

Sad to say, I fear the worst, but what's confusing me is . . . how did you manage to open the browser (IEXPLORE.EXE) and get online?

As for Winamp itself, before you uninstall it, it's always wise to go into:
Prefs (Ctrl+P) -> Filetypes and click the "select none" button.

From TSGH -> Useful Links

Troubleshooter Guides:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....827#post275827
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....166#post308166

RE: How do I remove 3rd-party plug-ins
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=26872
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=26610

Basic Uninstall -> Reinstall procedure:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=50818

How to thoroughly uninstall Winamp:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=49641
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=51699
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2001, 02:36   #4
WinAmpMan

I need help

I am using windows 98, and I did run a virus scan on my computer but no viruses were found. I also tried to open the programs from "my computer> C:\" but that didn't work either winamp still opened up. The only way I can get online or open any program is by going to "my computer" "scheduled tasks" and than any program I want to open I click on "add task" and once the program is in the folder I right click on it and select "run" its really annoying but its the only way to open it right now.
Old 25th November 2001, 02:41   #5
NuLoser

Make sure you have the LATEST signatures for your virus scanner, an out of date scanner is worthless.
Old 25th November 2001, 10:36   #6
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

Re: I need help

Quote:
Originally posted by WinAmpMan
The only way I can get online or open any program is by going to "my computer" "scheduled tasks" and than any program I want to open I click on "add task" and once the program is in the folder I right click on it and select "run"
That's a very imaginitive way of doing it

Can you choose run from the start menu, and type "command".

You should then get a dos box up. From here you can browse the hard disk, and run applications.

e.g. type cd\"Program Files\Internet Explorer" to change to the IE directory, then iexplore to run it.

dir gives a directory listing.

I'm not sure exactly what's caused the problem; I had a similar thing once where exe files had got dis-associated with anything.

I found that the entry in the Registry had been removed by something.

If you type regedit from the command prompt, the registry editor will open. Then choose HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and scroll down to .exe. Make sure the data value of (Default) is "exefile".

Next, scroll down to exefile and expand that. There should be three things under it, DefaultIcon, shell, and shellex. Expand shell, and open, and click command. The data value of (Default) here should be "%1" %*.

Warning that any changes you make to the registry happen immediately, so if you don't know what you're doing, don't touch anything else!
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2001, 14:10   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Or better still, use the attached regfix

Unzip the file exefile.reg and run it.

This should fix everything.

But if you have a virus . . . you still need to get rid of it.

btw, did you try anything from the above posts?

ps. If you have problems opening the zip file, I'll upload it again as a txt file instead, so you'll just have to rename it from exefile.txt to exefile.reg then run it as normal.

(Note, the reg file is for Win9x/ME only, not Win 2k/XP)
Attached Files
File Type: zip exefile.zip (390 Bytes, 789 views)
Old 25th November 2001, 14:24   #8
WinAmpMan

c2r

I tried to open the files using "run" from the start menu but when I tried to open Internet Explore or any other program winamp pops up and in the play list the name of the program still shows up and I still can't open it. Im going to try the "regedit" and if that doesn't work ill try the "regfix" zip file, but I don't think I can open Winzip.
Old 25th November 2001, 14:55   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

What Anti-Virus software do you have?
Have you been to their site to download the latest DAT signature files?

Did you goto Winamp Prefs -> Filetypes and click the "select none" button?

Anyway, I'll attach the text version of the regfix.
This is guaranteed to fix the EXE file association. Trust me.

Simply rename it from exefile.txt to exefile.reg and open it
(File Menu -> merge)
(or just double click to run it, as long as merge is the default action)
Attached Files
File Type: txt exefile.txt (672 Bytes, 590 views)
Old 25th November 2001, 16:26   #10
WinAmpMan

i kind of fix the problem

I kind of fix the problem. I went to the "regedit" and changed the (default) to "exefile" and now I can click on any program to open it like before, whether its on my desktop or start menu it works both ways. But I still have two problems. The first problem is that the programs on my desktop still have the little arrow in the lower left corner (the shortcut arrow) it doesn't do anything, the program opens the right way but it wasn't there before I downloaded winamp. And the second problem is that my downloaded pictures, zip files, games, and movie clips, all have the same icon (a blank white page with a windows flag in the middle) and when I try to open them, winamp opens with the name of the file in the playlist. I was wondering if I could fix that problem in the "regedit" by changing the data value of .jgp and .zip files and what ever else has to do with pictures, movies, games, and zips. If anyone could tell me what the data values to them are I would appreciate it. My downloaded music is fine thought it went back to normal once I fix the .exe data value. It plays back in media player like before.
Old 25th November 2001, 17:23   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Is there any particular reason why you won't answer any of our questions?

Again . . .

Did you goto Winamp Prefs (Ctrl+P) -> Filetypes
and click the "select none" button?

FYI, virtually all icons on the desktop and in the start menu are just shortcuts to programs/files/folders. They are NOT the actual EXE files, they are .LNK files.

Proof of this is if you rt click one of these shortcut icons and select "properties", you'll then see the path of the file to which the shortcut leads to.

To get rid of the little arrow, goto:
Control Panel -> tweakUI -> Explorer tab
Under "icon overlay" -> select "none"

If you don't have tweakUI, get it here

To install it, open the file you download and extract the files within to the same (temp) folder. Rt click the tweakui.inf file and select "install". This will install tweakUI properly and you can safely delete these temp files afterwards.

To reassociate all other extensions to their respective programs:

For zip files: open your zip program and reassociate it with zip files in the options.

For movies (avi, mpeg, etc), goto:
Windows Media Player -> View -> Options -> Formats tab
Reselect these extensions/formats.

For JPG files, open your image editor and reassociate it with JPG in the options.
btw, what program was the default for jpg before?
If it doesn't have any internal options to associate filetypes (which means it must be pretty poor) then you can make associations via:
Start -> Settings -> Folder Options -> File Types tab (no need to use regedit)
Scroll down for JPEG Image (JPG) -> click "Edit"
If the action for your old default program is still present, simply hi-lite it and click "set default".
If it isn't, then either edit the current "Open" action ("Edit" button) or create a new action ("New" button) and make sure the command line in the "app used" field points to the program of your choice.
If you need further assistance, let me know the name of the program.

As for "games" . . . errmm . . . please explain ?!?!

I would also like to know which 3rd-party winamp plugin you installed which caused all these problems in the first place.
Winamp in its default installation does NOT associate itself with EXE, JPG, ZIP, etc. You must've installed some extra (dodgy) plugin from somewhere to make this happen, possibly NiceMC.
Old 25th November 2001, 21:25   #12
WinAmpMan

First of all im sorry for not answering your questions. I did go to Winamp Prefs -> Filetypes and clicked the "select none" button but that didn't work. The only thing that did was now my music opens in media player instead of winamp.

Now I just installed tweakui and that worked great for getting rid of the shortcut arrows.

And I just opened my zip program and the first thing it asked me was to reassociate it with my zip files, so that should solve that because all my zip files changed their icons back to normal. And I did the same for media player.

For the jpeg files I use internet explorer(not by choice but thats what the default was originally and i don't think i have anything else), I couldn't find anything under its options tag that said set as default,
Than i went into Start -> Settings -> Folder Options -> File Types tab than Scrolled down for JPEG Image and the under the file type details (on the same page) the "extension" is JFIF, the "content type" is image/pipeg, and the "Opens With" is IEXPLORE, im not sure if thats what its suppose to be. When I click edit the "actions" has open. I didn't click anything, but i wanted to try first to see if the pictures would open but they still won't, winamp comes up with the picture name in the play list. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

And for the games that I was talking about were downloaded games which are zip files, but I already fix that.

As for the 3rd party plugin it was either "music city's morpheus" or "kazaa", I think it was morpheus because that was the newest one I downloaded and a week later is when all this started to happen.
Old 25th November 2001, 21:57   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Okaaaaaaay . . . we're getting somewhere now . . . yay!

Folder Options -> File Types -> JPEG Image -> Edit

Content Type (MIME) should be: image/jpeg
(you can type this in manually if it's not available via the drop-down menu)

Action: Open -> Edit
command line = "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"

(you can type: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\IEXPLORE.EXE instead if you wish)

Click "Okay"

Back in the original Edit box, hi-lite "Open" + click "set default"

You should now be able to go to "Change icon" and select one of the image icons from within iexplore.exe

If you want to reassociate any music files to Winamp, simply goto:
Winamp Prefs -> Filetypes
and select any of the extensions (eg. MP3, PLS, M3U, etc)

I didn't know there was a Morpheus plugin for Winamp, I thought it was a separate file sharing program . . . but in future, choose your software carefully . . . and if uninstalling anything, always goto the program's prefs first and unassociate it from filetypes, then use Add/Remove Control Panel to uninstall . . . and also be wary with 3rd-party non-Nullsoft plugins. Always check the forums first to see if there are any known issues. Some are excellent and work flawlessly, whereas others are buggy or don't work at all.

Anyway, I think that's everything.
Old 25th November 2001, 22:23   #14
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

I don't think it's Morpheus causes the problem (as far as I know it's not available in plugin form, just a separate standalone application ) - and I've just recently started using it, and it seems ok to me (apart from the whole built using IE components crap...)

As I said, I did have this problem once, but I've really got no idea what caused it - I would have thought it would be something malicious, I mean programs don't just accidently change the (Default) value of exe files to something else!

Oh well, glad to hear you got it fixed!
Old 25th November 2001, 23:01   #15
WinAmpMan

I went to Folder Options -> File Types -> JPEG Image -> Edit
and changed the Content Type (MIME) to image/jpeg
and then went to Action: Open -> Edit
And typed at the command line = "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" and Click "Okay"
And went back in the original Edit box, hi-lited "Open" + click "set default" and also changed the icon
But after all that the "extension" is still JFIF
I tried it a couple of times and also restarted my computer but it still won't change.
Old 26th November 2001, 01:08   #16
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Huh? Ya mean the default extension for MIME: image/jpeg is JFIF ?
This isn't really important, because JFIF, JPEG, JPG are all part of the same image family (Joint Photographic Expert Group)

If it really means that much to ya,
click in the drop-down menu and change it to JPG

Like I say, it doesn't really matter, as long as the files open in IE by default.
So . . . errmm . . . is IE now the default again?
And did you get the correct icon back?
Old 26th November 2001, 23:55   #17
WinAmpMan

The pictures still don't open with internet explorer, they open in winamp still, and for the icons they don't change ether, no matter which icon I pick on the list, they still stay the same, (the a blank white page with the windows flag on it).
Old 27th November 2001, 00:21   #18
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmmm . . . weird

Okay, try this simple fix:

1) Goto a folder with any JPG files in.

2) Hold Shift and right click any JPG file

3) From the menu, select: Open with

4) In the box that appears, select: iexplore

5) Checkmark "always use this program..."

6) Click "okay"

Let me know if this works.

You should then be able to go into Folder Options and change the icon from the default IE (html file) icon to one of the image icons within iexplore.exe

You did look under extension JPG, not JPEG or JFIF, yes?
Old 28th November 2001, 00:32   #19
WinAmpMan

OK I right clicked while holding down the shift key and that worked. Now all my pictures open in iexplore, and thats good, and then I went into folder options to change the icons but no matter which icon I pick it doesn't change. It really doesn't matter to me what icon it is as long as it opened correctly, which it does. As for the extension I did click JPG, not JPEG or JFIF but it still doesn't change. But thanks for helping me with all my problems.
Old 28th November 2001, 00:59   #20
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Aah . . . good news

So, we're 99% of the way there.

It's weird how the icon won't change though . . . very weird!

Are you sure your picture files definitely have the .JPG extension?

Is the file extension actually visible in Windows Explorer?
If not, goto: Folder Options -> View tab
Uncheck "hide extensions for known filetypes"
(you can always recheck this option later)

I'm starting to think they might be some other format/extension.
Old 2nd December 2001, 23:29   #21
WinAmpMan

Sorry i haven't wrote back in a while but i have been away.

Now the files definitely have the .JPG extension.
And the file extension is visible in Windows Explorer.
And i went to Folder Options -> View tab
and Unchecked "hide extensions for known filetypes"
but that still didn't work.

By the way, every once in a while(like every 10 days or more) i noticed the default for .exe file "in the registry editor, hkey_classes_root .exe folder" changes from exefile to rnifile, i don't know why but it does.

And i was just wondering what the default should be for the " .jpg .jpeg, .jpe .zip .avi .mp2 .mp3 .mpeg " files in the, registry editor, hkey_classes_root, because all of their defaults are "rnifile".

Last edited by WinAmpMan; 3rd December 2001 at 00:18.
Old 3rd December 2001, 00:55   #22
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Woosh! You've stumped me a bit here

RNIFILE

Sorry, but I've never heard of it.

I've got no such entry in my registry, and I've run searches on a few search engines for RNIFILE . . . nothing, and no results for RNI extension anywhere . . . nada, nicht, nothing.

At first I thought it was something to do with RealPlayer (RealNetworks Interface/Interleave/?) but I'm not rightly sure.

Can you please post the info here for everything listed under:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rnifile

Hi-lite this entry, and from the Registry menu, select "Export Registry File"
Save the "selected branch" to a .reg file (give it a name, eg. rnifile.reg), then in Explorer goto wherever you saved the .reg file, rename it with the .txt extension (eg. rnifile.txt) and post it here as an attachment.
This will hopefully help us get to the bottom of all this.

To be honest with you, it still sounds like a virus to me. I know you said none were found, but NO programs modify the EXE registry entry. It should always be default=exefile.

As for the others you mentioned, well it all depends on what the default program for these filetypes is.

If Winamp is the default player (eg. for MP3, WAV, MOD, MID, WMA, etc)
then the registry entry will be: default=Winamp.File

If Winamp is the default playlist player (PLS, M3U files):
default=Winamp.PlayList

When Windows Media Player is the default player:
MP3: default=mp3file
WAV: default=wavfile
MID/MIDI: default=midfile
MPEG, MPG, MP2: default=mpegfile
AVI: default=avifile

If InternetExplorer is the default program for JPEG, JPG, JPE:
Default=jpegfile
Old 3rd December 2001, 17:22   #23
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

Do you mean RMI - which is another sort of midi file?

Would it not be easier to do a reinstall?

(that's always the solution our IT Support people give to any non-techies... we'll just take it away and do a re-imaging of the hard disk!)
Old 3rd December 2001, 18:04   #24
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Well, yeah . . . if he'd said RMIFILE . . . but he said RNIFILE

WinAmpMan: Was it a typo?
Old 5th December 2001, 00:09   #25
WinAmpMan

To answer your question it wasn't a typo its "rnifile", and it could be something to do with realplayer, because I have realplayer but that came with the computer when I bought it. But I've had realplayer for a long time (like 3 years) so I don't think that it started the problem.
I tried to export registry file and I saved it to a .reg file and gave it the name rnifile.reg, that worked good but then I tried to open it in Explorer and I found the name where I saved it but it wouldn't open for me to rename it with the .txt extension. I also tried to open it in MS Word but it showed up weird, it has the location of where the file is located and in between it has boxes (when i copied and pasted it into this entry the boxes didn't show up, instead it just showed spaces) I'll show you at the bottom, If you know something else I can do please tell me.

G ÆJ
5 ôÏQ F ® <
s À @ C : \ W I N D O W S \ r n i f i l e . r e g
C : \ W I N D O W S 0 Ñ
Old 5th December 2001, 00:38   #26
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Umm, that looks like a shortcut file to me (.LNK)
What did you do, try to send it to a program (word/explorer) via the Recent Documents menu? Doh ?!?!

No, export it to a .reg file, then via "My Computer", goto the actual folder where you saved it (somewhere like C:\TEMP would be more appropriate than C:\WINDOWS), right click the file and select "rename" from the menu.
Simply change the extension from .reg to .txt, eg.
rename from rnifile.reg to rnifile.txt

Don't try to open the .reg file! You can look at it in Notepad if you want, after it's been renamed to a .txt file.

Then post it as an attachment in your next reply.
Old 5th December 2001, 18:26   #27
WinAmpMan

Ok I think I got it now. If his isn't right than tell me.
Old 5th December 2001, 19:07   #28
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

ummm . . . where is it then?
Old 5th December 2001, 20:25   #29
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

Dude... this is heavy! Still, there's always one late, great solution.
Be careful: If you don't recognise any of these terms, then for your own sake don't do this!!!
This requires a CD writer, among other things...

-Merlin's Guide to Windows Happiness (Yes, it CAN happen)-
Preface: Using an up-to-date virus scanner, scan your entire HD for viruses, then check it for errors using Scandisk. If clean, proceed to:

Step One: Locate your original Windows CD, OEM setup disk(where applicable), and serial number. If you haven't got one, locate a friend who has
Step Two: Locate the CD's for as many of your important programs as possible, such as Microsoft Office, CorelDRAW, Unreal Tournament etc.
Also find your hardware driver discs.
Step Three: Using your CD writer, copy any important documents and videos, music, and downloaded program install files, such as "winamp278_full.exe" onto some CDR's.
Step Four: If you are SURE that EVERYTHING YOU NEED is SAFE, erase the contents of your local disk/hard disk/hard drive or whatever you want to call it. To be doubly safe, use the FDISK utility to remove your master boot record and disk partitions (FDISK/mbr is the command). At this stage, your PC is toast, and good for nothing.
Step Five: Insert Windows setup disk, and follow instructions to insert CD. Watch as Windows installs itself (ooh, pretty).
Step Six: Install all drivers for your hardware. Configure devices and set Windows up nicely, put your Harry Potter desktop back on (!)and change the colours to suit.
Step Seven: Install your important programs, such as Winamp and Office, and not third-party trash such as Napster and Morpheus (sorry). Then copy back all those documents and mp3's. The end.

Hopefully, this nice clean version of Windows that hasn't been meddled with, and fresh versions of everything else, should run smoothly. See? Windows and happiness CAN mix.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2001, 20:48   #30
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quick note: reformatting is only recommended for advanced users.
But ultimately should be the perfect cure . . . although I'm convinced we can get this fixed without going to such extremes.

The most important thing you mentioned there was scanning the entire HD for viruses, using an up-to-date scanner. Though equally importantly, the scanner needs to be configured to scan for ALL files, not just the usual default extensions (EXE, COM, BAT, PIF, DLL, etc)

Many viruses disguise themselves as eg. INF, SCR, VBS, HTA, OCX, etc files
and won't be detected unless "Scan ALL files" is selected in the A-V config.

WinAmpMan
What happened to the attachment?
It's mysteriously vanished!
Anything to do with you Merlin? J/K LOL

Anyway, cheers for the valuable input Merlin
btw, how's King Arthur doing these days? Any news on his return?
Old 5th December 2001, 20:54   #31
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by DJEgg
Quick note: reformatting is only recommended for advanced users.

Many viruses disguise themselves as INI, INF, HTML, VBS, HTA, OCX, etc files

What happened to the attachment?
It's mysteriously vanished!
Anything to do with you Merlin? J/K LOL

btw, how's King Arthur doing these days? Any news on his return?
True - OCX files, activeX, are Nasty with a capital N. Thankfully McAfee(version 4.3 or later) or Norton can hunt them down!

lol! My man King Arthur - only I know where he is! The sword is still in the stone, if you know what i mean. As for the attachment - it's still there, just higher up than you might think. I downloaded that thing, and intend to install it soon.

[edit]
Finally, yes, i forgot to emphasise that enough, so here it is again:
reformatting is only recommended for advanced users. [/edit]
Old 6th December 2001, 00:18   #32
WinAmpMan

I don't know why it didn't attach the first time so now im trying again.
Old 6th December 2001, 00:24   #33
WinAmpMan

I don't know why it isn't attaching the file, I tried it twice. I click on browse next to attach, and I located the file, I clicked open, but nothing happens, it shows the location of the file next to browse. I know its trying to attach because it takes a long time to send a reply, but it doesn't work. If you give me a e-mail address ill send it that way, it should work.
Old 6th December 2001, 01:53   #34
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

You've definitely renamed it with the .TXT extension?
You've still got "hide extensions for known filetypes" UNCHECKED in Windows Folder Options -> View tab?
Does the file now have the typical Notepad .TXT icon, or does it still have the regedit/reg icon?

You can't attach reg files here
(only the specified extensions, of which one is TXT)

Anyway, I'll PM an e-mail address to you. But I ain't opening the attachment unless it's a plain .TXT file . . . . then again, even TXT files can get infected with viruses

On second thoughts, maybe zip it up first.
Old 6th December 2001, 12:39   #35
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

I must just add that the TweakUI utility is what I've been looking for since about 2 weeks after I first got windows 95. WinME has even more things that need tweaking!
Old 6th December 2001, 19:45   #36
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Oh aye, tweakUI rocks!

btw WinAmpMan, any news on this rnifile.txt yet? What's happening dude?
Old 7th December 2001, 07:20   #37
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Okay, for anyone who's following this special case, here's the lowdown:

I'v just spent the past 3 hours examining the contents of a 750KB zip file which WinAmpMan sent me via e-mail.
The zip contained a 3.7MB file called "rnifile.txt.reg"
Doh!

And he wonders why he couldn't include it as an attachment here, LOL

What it was in the end, was the whole of: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
Yes, WAM exported the whole H_C_R key . . . oooh . . . lovely

Lo and behold, right at the very end of this HUGE file, I found this:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rnjfile]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rnjfile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rnjfile\shell\open]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rnjfile\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\PROGRA~1\\INTERN~1\\iexplore.exe\" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rnjfile\DefaultIcon]
@="%1"

Go figure!

RNJFILE NOT RNIFILE.

The default entry for a whole bunch of file extensions was @="rnjfile"
GIF, JPG, JPEG, DOC, ZIP, RAR, WMA, MPEG, WMF, MP2, MP3, and then some

Anyway, I've replied to the e-mail . . . and we'll see how it goes from there.

/me needs sleep
Zzzzzzzzzzz
Old 7th December 2001, 17:46   #38
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

http://www.google.com/search?q=HKEY_...=Google+Search

Now tell me you don't have a virus

There's the living proof that you've got the BleBla/bebla.b worm
<aka: Romeo 'N Juliet>

So much for Norton and Mcafee, eh?

Follow the instructions on this page to manually fix it.

Case closed
Old 8th December 2001, 16:48   #39
deathazre
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to deathazre Send a message via AIM to deathazre
I have never trusted Norton. It is INCREDIBLY slow at getting viruses in its definitions.
deathazre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2001, 17:43   #40
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

So his file extensions were hidden?

3.7Mb of .reg file to look through: . Well done, DJ.

That virus should be picked up by any decent virus scanner - so much for norton and mcafee but I doubt they would be able to actually fix it. If they tried, the average user would probably be left with a load of useless .wma, .mp3 and .jpg files. Thankfully, if that virus ever got onto my PC, I can sort out the registry myself
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support