Old 7th December 2001, 04:55   #1
hillerm1

Send a message via AIM to hillerm1
30,798 Songs and slowing down

This is the situation. With almost 31,000 songs, winamp has become a slow application to deal with. I have what I consider to be "enough" computing power and memory, but when I try to use the "jump" feature, I can often type an entire song before the dialog box opens up. Winamp also takes forever to open, not to mention it takes a long time to calculate a playlist time. I am looking for ideas, or 3rd party software that could speed up any one of these processes. and by the way, winamp 3 beta crashes like crazy upon loading even a portion of this many songs. Everthying else works crazy fast.

Computer specs (so i wont have to answer that part of the problem)

Dual AMD MP 1800
1.5 GB of DDR Ram
Running Win XP Home
Old 7th December 2001, 05:03   #2
NuLoser

Load up the playlist once and save it as a M3U file, therefore it will never have to calculate the times again and will only change the title when the song is played.

Winamp3 crashes a lot period.

What you really want to do is maybe make a collection of smaller playlists, then have a list of playlists. AlbumList for Winamp can do just that.

Also, while you are at it, check the Winamp plug-ins directory for any dodgy third party plug-ins like the ones listed in Offical 3rd-party Plugin Buglist.

Other plug-ins that might interest is Full Playlist which is used to dynamically update your playlist and EZ-Playlist which is a playlist replacement thingy.

Old 7th December 2001, 11:23   #3
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
31000 songs at an average of 4Mb each gives 124Gb of music. You sure about that???

If it is true, then you are searching through a list of 31000 for a single song - of course it's going to take time.

As NuLoser said, save your playlist and all you have to do is reload this list each time you start winamp, instead of searching through the entire directory and listing each file, as you are doing now.

The Full Playlist plugin is seriously worth considering as it automatically updates your playlist if you download a new song into your directory.

Like my photography? Buy some here....
Old 7th December 2001, 14:20   #4
hillerm1

Send a message via AIM to hillerm1
i am sure, it is actually closer to 140 gb of music, two full hard drives, a 60gb and an 80gb. I can use the technique of saving my playlist, but when trying to use the plugins mentioned, when winamp hiccups, the plug ins freeze, and make the entire app unuasable. I have found a third party stand alone playlist gen, and it seems to work pretty well, although the name is escaping me now. Thanks for the help
Old 7th December 2001, 14:28   #5
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
Glad to hear it

How about posting your playlist somewhere - it would be interesting to see whats on it ????

Like my photography? Buy some here....
Old 8th December 2001, 04:02   #6
Android

Song list

You might need to be careful. At 31,000 songs your issue is merely one of burden on the system. Chop it into smaller chunks. Windows HATES applications that snag alot of memory. It has to do with the notion of relocatable and discardable memory, how you ask for it and what you do with it.

I don't know how WinAmp does it, but if they are reading the directory for the songs, what's killing you might be Win API constructing the File List Object, or somefink like that. Without research I cannot state this positively, but WinAPI may be reading the dir, seeing 31000 files and trying to allocate a contiguous hunk of memory to store 31000 (damn, I havent coded Win API for years now) file structures (name, size, modified, etc, etc).

Allocations that large cramp the Windows design, and poor performance and lock-ups are not unexpected.

Don't know about you, but my brain doesn't think in terms of 31000 objects. People naturally categorize. Just watch someone playing cards sometime, they always sort their hand. Do the same with your files.
Old 24th June 2002, 18:39   #7
ilikeoranges

try wincue!

im a little confused by the 31,000 mp3 files, too, but whatever. i have a 60gb disk a little over half filled with a single directory of carefully named (artist - album - trackno - name) mp3s. its over 6000 mp3s. i started using wincue about half a year ago and havent looked back. what i had always been looking for is a "windows explorer" plugin for winamp. this is very much like that. its winamp skinned. you specify the file extensions and directories and it lists them all by filename or by path/filename. it has features for making MD recordings, autocueing and other stuff. i have them all turned off, but one might even be of interest to you. the latest version even works with scroll wheels, which is handy for large lists like say 6,000 to 31,000 mp3s. it even works better than windows explorer because you can select a group of mp3s, say a whole album, and it adds or replaces the playlist with them in ORDER (as opposed to windows which doesnt seem to be able to work properly). you can add file(s) to the playlist, replace your playlist and start playing, or clear the playlist with the current file still playing and have a new playlist ready to go when it's done. a lot of the programs i tried to use for this did a lot of the organizing for you. i didnt like this. my files are already organized alphabetically. wincue doesnt need much time to load because it doesnt do much. not much more than explorer anyway, and certainly less than the winamp playlist. it doesnt load file sizes or types, it can be set to not search for id3 tags (though it can also USE id3), and it doesnt load mp3 playing times. its quick and easy and works tightly with winamp.
Old 10th September 2008, 19:32   #8
operandx

31k songs? Winamp Library is your best friend!

I just love Winamp! I find the Winamp Library so fast and useful with its sorting and filtering capabilities.
I recently discovered the Auto-Tag feature and I'm just loving it!

It's quite amazing the OP had 31k files 7 years ago.
I've been collecting and organizing songs for quite a while and also reached a similar number.

31554 items, ~93 days of music, organized in 2462 directories according to Artist, Album, Song name, Unsorted etc.

Total Files Listed:
30924 File(s) 161,131,869,101 bytes
Old 10th September 2008, 20:55   #9
cubanresourcefu

Way to bump a six year old topic.... :/
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support