I have an Epox-8kha+ w/ 256 mb of PC-2400 DDR RAM
1.33 ghz T-Bird @ 1.5
Geforce 2 GTS
ATA/100 7200 rpm HD
Shouldnt i be able to pull it off?
Shagorino3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2002, 01:47   #2
aaron595

Yes, you should be able to pull it off, but it depends on which AVS you are trying to load.

Some AVS have such graphical complexity that even a very fast computer cannot run it at lightning speed.

Try resizing your window to a smaller size, so that it is comfortable enough for your speeds, and the computers speeds. It is a compromising situation.

Hope this helps.

aaron595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2002, 16:35   #3
geozop

Send a message via ICQ to geozop Send a message via AIM to geozop Send a message via Yahoo to geozop
optimizing

That is why optimizing comes in handy. For example, I saw a pack that had four water bumps effects in a row in it (very slow). The same effect could be generated by using just one scatter effect.

I also find that some packs have more than one movement in them. All custom movements can be combined into one movement, except when using a preset movement, where you do not know the math.

A tool to help a person with optimizing is the windowed performance slider in the display options. Slide it down a bit, and see if you can change your vis to get the framerate you had before adjusting the slider (and keep it looking about the same).

I usually leave the slider at the halfway mark, so that I can make good AVSs for both slower computers (compared to this p3 933) and to allow good framerates on high fullscreen resolutions.
geozop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2002, 19:58   #4
solamon

Send a message via AIM to solamon
I said this a while ago, but I will bring it up again because it's relevent. If you can do it (ie have WinXP), turn alpha blending on and put the slider a hair away from "none". You will get about a 25-35% increase in windowed frame rate.

I think working with the constant overhead of frame rate really adds something to design. It's like your working with a very limited resourse or fuel. At the same time though, if you create a masterpiece and it brings your computer down to 11-12 fps fullscreen, I say do it. Even if a computer slower than yours isn't going to be able to handle it. They will eventually upgrade and have a nice treat waiting for them when they do.
solamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > AVS