Old 26th January 2002, 01:42   #1
RANGERROB67

Wma Music Files To Mp3 Or Wav? Help

I BOUGHT A CD RE WRITER THAT CAME WITH NERO 5 CD BURNING SOFT WARE..I HAVE SAVED OVER A HUNDRED SONGS ON MY WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER BUT THE NERO SOFTWARE DOES NOT RECOGNISE THE WMA FORMAT... I NEED TO FIND OUT HOW TO CONVERT MY WMA MUSIC FILES TO MP3 OR WAV FORMATS TO BE READ...PLEASE HELP ME
RANGERROB67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2002, 01:54   #2
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Curi0us_George Send a message via Yahoo to Curi0us_George
1. Please don't type in all caps like that. It's equivalent to yelling, and it's hard to read.

2. You don't want to convert them to MP3s. Conversion between lossy file types is bad. You'd lose a good bit of quality. The same would happen if you turned an MP3 into a WMA.

3. To convert a WMA file to a WAV, open Winamp. Then, open the preferences (right click -> options -> preferences), go to "output plugins", and choose "Nullsoft Diskwriter Plugin". Set up the plugin (It's simple. It'll probably work as it is, but just check to make sure it is going to write to a real directory). Close the preferences. Play. Winamp should write the WAV equivalents of all the WMA files into the directory you specified in the Diskwriter options.

This works with MP3s. I assume it works with WMA as well, but I don't have any WMA files to test it with.

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.

47 65 6C 61 65 64 2E 63 6F 6D 00
Curi0us_George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2002, 02:48   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Nope, won't work with WMA files.
Current in_wm.dll is coded/licensed by Micro$oft and is hard-linked to out_wave.dll, therefore (regardless of what output plugin is selected) wma's will always use Nullsoft WaveOut.

Workaround:

RE: How to convert WMA to WAV or MP3 with Winamp
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=31340
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=34549
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=35001
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=34388

Basically, you need to replace the current in_wm.dll with the old one from 2.60

You can now use the DiskWriter Output in Winamp to convert to WAV, or one of the MP3-Output plugins referenced in this thread (PP's out_enc is recommended).

Or...

dbPowerAmp apparently does WMA conversions (linked to in above threads)
(and probably also refer to a fair few other WMA converter programs)

However, Nero5 DOES support WMA & conversions.
I think there's a WMA plugin available @ the Nero site

Other software (all shareware) includes:
Audio Conversion Wizard | Advanced WMA Workshop (both $30)
Easy CD Creator (search google for link)

btw, if you enabled Digital Rights Mangement in WMP (DRM protected)
then you might be screwed!
In which case, learn from your tragic mistake, and use a dedicated CD-Ripper in future, eg. CDex or EAC (both freeware) and rip straight to top quality Lame_Enc --alt-preset standard MP3 instead of st00pid WMA

Update:

You can solve the DRM issue by following the instructions in this thread:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=74696

This involves downloading a small program called Unfuck which decodes the DRM protected WMA into WAV in realtime, removes the DRM, then re-encodes back to normal WMA.
You can then follow the instructions above to convert to WAV/MP3 with Winamp.
(Hey, if only Unfuck gave the option of decoding to WAV - fullstop, eh?)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2004, 18:49   #4
erniemink

WMA is a better sounding and more clean output

I have tried all formats and even though I do nto like Microsoft on everything and always depend on Windows XP, I will have to admit that their WMA recording/encoding is the best sounding and cleanest for all music if you are not using WMA or lossless encoding which takes up more space in the first place. So it is not stupid. And I have been encoding to WMA for a very long time.

Ernie Mink
erniemink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2005, 19:12   #5
leolu

a recent update ?

Hi there, .. I'm interrested in any kind of operational answer, knowing that my main pb is I'm unable to burn.

I'm running Win2K, Winamp 5.09, WMP 9.
I'have the WMP roxio and nero plugnins.
I have a 5.5 OEM Nero.

And I don't intend to buy anything else .. I already bought like 100 WMAs (DRM protected of course), and I can't get them out of my PC, either on CD or on mp3. Because of the MS/Roxio applet (wmburn) that crashes all the time.

Any kind of solution would be appreciated ..
leolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2005, 19:13   #6
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

Yeah, your hosed in that case, sounds like. Really, shouldn't buy cripled things.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2005, 00:49   #7
erniemink

Response about conversion of WMA files

Basically the .WMA format is far superior in the encoding process, even at 128 kbps than ANY other format INCLUDING but not limited to all forms of the MP3, AAC and .RA 9Real Audio) and ATRAC3 (Sony). So to downgrade is foolish. I use "Napster to Go" with my Creative Zen Micro and the ONLY encoding formats I care about are .WAV, which although the highest quality with no compression whatsoever, takes up a LOT of space. I tend to not use it because I also get unlimited downloading to my Zen Micrso with Napster to Go for only $14.95 a month that includes full streaming of most songs and I don't have to pay the regular 99 cents per song. Even OGG Vorbis being open source cannot simplify and take the place of the .WMA format due to the facts of Microsoft always inesting and re-investing in their .WMA and video formats which populate most of the internet even in streaming and the fact that most music downloading systems love it due to security protection and the Digital Rights Management. OGG Vorbis is fine for the gaming industry. Anyways, there is no reason to go from a .WMA to a .WAV because you will take up more space for a song that only has been encoded at 128 kbps or so and the .WAV fornat is 1411 kbps. If you want to save space and still get excellent sound that sounds almost the same as the original CD recording, just stick with 128 kbps or better on the .WMA format. I hoep that helps you.
Old 7th May 2005, 01:18   #8
gaekwad2
Foorum King

You are wrong!
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2005, 03:13   #9
biggman15

Your just wanting to back up your WMA's with NERO...Make a Data Disk.... And throw the WMA's on the Disk... Nero can burn nearly anything... Just don't specify a format... But I Use Nero 6 so I assuming 5 works the same...

biggman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2005, 12:36   #10
erniemink

"You are wrong". Geez, it takes a whole lot of intelligence to give an ignorant opinion. If you hate something, it does not make it less superior. Your opinions do not outweigh facts. AND NO, I am NOT wrong. My cousin also works for Microsoft
Old 7th May 2005, 12:39   #11
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Oh yes, of course a Microsoft employee's opinion is far less biased than the results of a blind listening test.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2005, 08:31   #12
somelee

a software called power mp3 wma convertor
this tool can help you to convert wmas to mp3s
somelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 07:56   #13
Indir

Hi! Yeah I am using that too.. It serves its purpose really. I use that software a lot with my music. I also use it whenever I edit videos and edit the music I would want to include in that video. Thanks for posting that information too.

indir
Indir is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support