Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist

Old 1st February 2002, 05:16   #1
Ikonomi

I'll say this again: Wild Tangent = Spyware

In case no one has brought this to the public attention around here, EVERYTHING FROM WILD TANGENT INSTALLS DEEP SPYWARE ON YOUR COMPUTER.

Hear me?

WILD TANGENT = SPYWARE

Sorry for the caps, but this stuff is very annoying. There is no way to uninstall the spyware -- you have to clear it out by scanning your hard drive and registry for files and values named "wild" and "wt". If you have a folder named "wt" in your Windows directory, you've been infected.

Let me say this one more time.

Do not download anything from Wild Tangent as it ALL contains spyware, though not every program has a disclaimer saying so.

If this has been posted recently, sorry. But seeing all the downloads of their hot chick plugins is disturbing. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS STUFF.

Thanks for your time and good luck.

I hate spyware. ><
Ikonomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2002, 10:07   #2
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
do you have any proof?
like whats the name of the spyware programs?

s1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2002, 10:18   #3
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

s1138

WildTangent products includes an auto-updating feature which many people consider as dubious.
On top of that, WildTangent products are a pain in the ass to uninstall.
This is nothing new, do a little search in the forums
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2002, 15:20   #4
NRen2k5
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NRen2k5 Send a message via AIM to NRen2k5 Send a message via Yahoo to NRen2k5
I just love newbies when they're angry
NRen2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2002, 19:43   #5
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
seer, im aware of the feature.

however, i was just curious.

(edit) i never had a problem uninstalling it

s1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2002, 21:22   #6
MarchaDeOdio

Send a message via AIM to MarchaDeOdio
how do i get this shit off my computer do i just delete the wt folder
MarchaDeOdio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2002, 23:01   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

RE: Problems with Wild Tangent plug-in [games]
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=33273
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=33267
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=33427

RE: How do I remove 3rd-party plug-ins
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=26872
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=26610
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=35601

Check Add/Remove Programs Control Panel first.
Read all the above.

I can't offer any personal advice, 'cos I've never installed any WT stuff.
Winamp is a multimedia player for me, not a games console
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2002, 23:32   #8
Ikonomi

Haha, I'm not angry. I just noticed the insane number of downloads of their plugins and it's obvious that a lot of people don't know about it.

If you like spyware on your box, fine with me. It's basically on par with having a bug on your phone line, but if that doesn't bother you, hey.
Ikonomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2002, 01:00   #9
Huehuetenango
Forum King

dude, it cna be deactivated
i did so from teh control panel
not all that hard
Huehuetenango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2002, 01:05   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Huh? Me? Wha'?

FYI, I've said it 100's of times before that there should be a warning on the plugins pages stating: "Download 3rd-party plugins at your own risk . . . they are not made by Nullsoft . . . report all bugs/problems to the author of said plugin . . . it's got nothing to do with us . . . thankyou"

Hey, you're lookin' here at the author of threads such as:
The Official 3rd-party Plugin Buglist

I could probably fill that thread with another couple of pages worth.
But the ones mentioned are the most common ones, including WT.

About 50% of all problems reported on these forums are 3rd-party plugin related.
The rest either have nothing to do with Winamp (eg. hardware/windows/driver problems), or they just boil down to sheer user stupidity (n00bs).

So, did you read those links I posted?
Did you get rid of WT yet?

[edit]
Sorry Hue, your reply wasn't here when I first started typing this.
This is a direct reply to Ikonomi's last post.
btw, I already mentioned Control Panel above . . . but, hey, wtf eh?
[/edit]
Old 2nd February 2002, 06:42   #11
old and quite mad
Major Dude

Wild Tangent was known for this issue when I roamed these darkened passage ways.

But... Some folks persist in finding out the hard way. Live and learn, crash and burn.

DJ, how are you doing?
old and quite mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2002, 17:00   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

heyhey

Always a pleasure to hear from ya OAQM.
I'm doin' just fine
Yourself?

Yeah, all these WT issues were discussed between 12 and 18 months ago,
as proved by those links I provided above. Though it would seem like the last two links no longer exist Booh! Those were the ones relating to the spyware issues as well!
Oh well, I'll replace them with a link to this thread instead

Note to admin: please stop mass pruning the forums!
Note to self: remember to move this thread to Tech Forums at a later date for preservation's sake
Old 2nd February 2002, 19:10   #13
Huehuetenango
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by DJEgg

btw, I already mentioned Control Panel above . . . but, hey, wtf eh?
sorry, didn't notice that wehn i read through the thread originally
Huehuetenango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2002, 20:00   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

No probs Hue,
It wasn't really directed at you, it was intended more for MarchaDeOdio and Ikonomi

This link from above kinda covers the whole WT uninstallation procedure:

RE: Problems with Wild Tangent plug-in [games]
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=33267

Sorry for getting a bit stressed out people . . . lol
Old 4th February 2002, 08:05   #15
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Hey OAQM !

Long time no see
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2002, 01:17   #16
theaftershock

Send a message via AIM to theaftershock Send a message via Yahoo to theaftershock
I hate WT!!! And you know that WT uses G3D Technoglogy, right? Not to long ago, WT was litterally attacking G3d business, damn fu@king pricks, there evil! attack what made them what they are today, ba$$tards

[color=silver]
God Put Me On Earth To Accomplish A Certain Number Of Things...
RIGHT NOW I'M SO FAR BEHIND I'LL NEVER DIE!!!

Last edited by theaftershock; 6th February 2002 at 01:52.
theaftershock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2002, 00:36   #17
Orf

Well since DJEgg's planning on preserving this thread, I thought I'd pop in and say hello. I'm going to answer people in reverse order... start with "theaftershock" and work backwards through time.

theaftershock:
I'm Orf and I work for WT. I used to be a large contribuitor to Genesis3D, creating one of the first gameshells ever for it in ProjectX and helping to cultivate the creation of Seven's Project-Z and Scarab's RealityFactory. I also ran the dojo... being The World Of Genesis for over a year, which is the main support site for Genesis3D. Please remember my contributions to G3D before you start slamming me personally. (cause I know you *really* want to, solely because I work for WT)

I'm not sure if you know this or not, but WildTangent actually owns Genesis3D. This being said, I'm not sure how we could steal our own business. In fact, most of the guys who created G3D, work for WT, the original company "Eclipse Entertainment" is bankrupt and ceases to exist. It was WildTangent who offered to purchase the assets from Eclipse and give all these people jobs. Hardly the work of ba$$tards, at the end of the day, it's nice to have a job.

Now, to head on back to Ikonomi:
We are not and never were spyware, however we formed this reputation a long time ago because our un-installation procedures really sucked and our automatic updater is installed as "automatically enabled". You know it, I know it. We have made strides to improve the installation and uninstallation process since then.

Install/uninstall:
--------------------------------------------------
1: The updater is mentioned in the installation (although it still is automatically enabled) and you have to agree to the terms of the eula before continuing the install.

2: We exist on the Windows Add/Remove Programs under "WildTangent Updater" and "WildTangent Web Driver" as well as "WildTangent XXX" where XXX would be the product name of any of our digitally distributed games. I do not believe that our winamp games have an uninstall, for that I'm sorry... but the plugin, which is what we're talking about, does in fact have that uninstall option. This was not the case a year ago.

Automatic updater:
1: This provides anonymous user data to WildTangent on your system information. To locate what is being sent, please refer to C:\WINNT\wt\wtupdates\wtupdater\appinfo.dat (substitute C:\WINDOWS if you're running a 9X series). It's a text file, open it in notepad. The data inside should look like this:

Quote:
[appinfo.dat]
os=Windows2000
os_version=5.0.2195(Service Pack 2)
cpu=x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6
mhz=1000
ram=256
resolution=1600x1200
colormode=16
videocard_name=NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro
videocard_driver=Unknown
videocard_manufacturer=NVIDIA
videocard_chip=Unknown
soundcard_name=Creative SB Live! Basic (WDM)
soundcard_driver=Unknown
soundcard_version=Creative Technology Ltd.
dsound_dll=5.1.2600.881 built by: DShow_Build
d3d_dll=5.00.2180.1
ddraw_dll=5.1.2600.881 built by: Lab06_N(mmbuild)
dplay_dll=5.00.2134.1
dinput_dll=5.1.2600.881 built by: Lab06_N(mmbuild)
jvm_ie=5,0,3802,0
jvm_netscape=4.76.0.11
jvm_other=Unknown
ie_ver=5.51.4807.2300
netscape_ver=4.76.0.11
other_browser_ver=Unknown
videocard_mem=24
Nothing about who you are or where you're connected is reported. Other popular programs such as the very one you use to listen to audio with.... being Winamp also send anonymous user data. Winamp's is clearly toggle-able in their installer. ICQ is another app that does this. You'll see information like this appearing in store bought games as well. I know of a few game companies who are creating their own solutions for this. I could go on, but essentially, when you want to cater your product to the hardware your users have, you need data on what they have. In the future, everyone's going to have their own solution.

2: You can turn it off. Much like Winamp's data reporting mechanism, you can turn ours off as well. Go to your control panel, WildTangent Control Panel, then uncheck "Automatic Updater Service Enabled" Click OK and you're done. Our updater exists in your processes as "wcmdmgr.exe" if you were wondering what that is. It sends back the appinfo.dat and asks our server if there is a new Web Driver version available to download. The Web Driver is our 3D plugin component. In your latent connect time, if there is a new version, the app will download it automatically to upgrade you to the lastest version. It will not download if you are using bandwidth. ICQ does a similar thing with their's, it auto upgrades itself as well.

Manually uninstalling:
If you still don't trust anything we do, hey that's fine, I'm not going to debate with you, just trying to inform... here's how to manually uninstall:

1: Hit the key combination CTRL-SHIFT-ESC to bring up the Windows Task Manager. Click the Processes tab and search for "wcmdmgr.exe" If it's there, select it and click the "End Process" button. If it's not running, then go to step 2.

2: Open C:\Windows or C:\WINNT depending on your OS. Find the folder named "WT" and delete it.

3: Reboot. You're done.

Yes, you'll probably have some registry keys left over when doing this manually, but that's not anything to worry about.

Anyway, that's about all I have to say. I hope I have taught you somethings about WildTangent products today that hasn't been said before.

Thx,

-Orf
WildTangent Developer Relations
WildTangent Inc.
http://www.wildtangent.com
Orf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2003, 17:45   #18
Paultx

I downloaded and installed five games from WT. I play them once in a while. They're not heavy and they're fun. As for spyware, what do they do? Send my personal info to someone? Steal my credit cards numbers? Monitors my surfing?
I know some autoupdate features slow down connection at times, but for me it's unnoticeable. My credit cards reports show no operations other than mine. I surf the web ok with my antipopup software. My antispam app kick off the shit a lot of guys send to me. My antivirus keep me safe from these plagues. And my firewall blocks the attempts of invasion, AFAIK. I run AD-Aware to remove spyware. There'is no WT folder on my system. What else should I be afraid of?

Always the latest free standard Winamp version | @ home: Windows 7 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 6 GB RAM
@ work: Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-bit • Intel Pentium D • 2 GB RAM | @ large 1 (me): Windows 7 Home Premium - 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
@ large 2 (wife): Windows 7 Home Premium - 32-bit • Intel Core Duo • 2 GB RAM | @ large 3 (daughter): Windows 7 Home Premium - 64-bit • Intel Dual Core • 3 GB RAM
Paultx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2003, 23:15   #19
Picaune
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Picaune Send a message via AIM to Picaune Send a message via Yahoo to Picaune
I have an old, ancient Dell Dimension x233. I swear, I must have removed "Wild Tangent Web Updater Driver" at least five times, without me downloading or installing any new Wild Tangent games. And yet, I still have that entry in my uninstall, still have wcmdmgr.exe running (and crashing) everytime I boot, and there's no WT folder in sight in either Windows or Windows\System.

Bum steer.

Orf? I thought Genesis3D was freeware. I got it bundled with the DirectX 6 SDK and it was labeled as such, and also referenced a SourceForge project. Have things changed since then?
Picaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2003, 14:22   #20
the_Flames

Like every "good" spyware package, it has a mind of it's own, and your wrong :P

now hasnt everyone been a noob at sometime???? no ... ok then
the_Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2003, 23:34   #21
pvt.ryan

Send a message via ICQ to pvt.ryan Send a message via AIM to pvt.ryan Send a message via Yahoo to pvt.ryan
after installing a wild tangent product on my computer (plugin for wamp 2), i noticed all of a sudden my computer was running more sluggish then before (multiple processes i have never seen before in task manager) and suspicious activity going on through my internet connection, worried i searched this forum for "wild tangent", sure enough, dozens of threads relating wildtangent to spyware.

I am so pissed off right now, heres why- I CANNOT completely uninstall all the wt shit off my computer, I have the latest Ad-aware and Spybot updates, None of them get rid of that wild tangent control panel thing. I also searched Wild Tangents website and found the basic uninstallation procedure manuals. Duh, of course i looked in ad/remove programs list, that was the first thing i did moments after installing ur crappy plugin, But I still have WT on my computer!! Emailing wild tangent does no good because they have hidden their email adress on their website

So any1 have any ideas on how to remove this trojan horse from my computer? Just a recap, So far I have;

Scanned reg for wt and wildtangent yup

Scanned entire computer for wt and wildtangent yup Used basic uninstaller in ad/remove programs from control panel yup

Ran ad-aware and spybot with latest spyware definitions installed yup!

Next up -Reformat harddrive, Yay!!
pvt.ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2003, 00:33   #22
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

WinXP instructions
(paths may be different in other OS'es)

1) start -> run -> msconfig
StartUp tab:
Uncheck: wcmdmgr.exe -or- wcmdmgrl.exe
(This is the Wild Tangent Automatic Updater Service)

and uncheck anything else relating to Wild Tangent (if any).

Click "OK"

2) Reboot (or end task for above items in Task Manager)

3) Go to: C:\Windows\System32
Locate and delete the wtcpl.cpl file (this is the WT Control Panel)

Note: Requires "show hidden files" to be checkmarked and "Hide protected operating system files" to be unchecked in:
Folder Options -> View.
(Unless you're an advanced user, I recommend you undo this afterwards).

4) Delete the C:\Windows\WT and C:\Program Files\WildTangent folders
(at least one, if not both, will exist)

5) Start -> Run -> Regedit

Delete the following keys/strings (if they exist):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run >> WildTangent CDA

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Wild Tangent

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Cpls >> wtControlPanel

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\WildTangent

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WildTangent

(note: the keys may contain a few extra words, eg. Wild Tangent Updater / Web Driver / etc)

6) Reboot

(naturally, you also need to make sure all WildTangent dll's are removed from the Winamp\Plugins folder).

See here for full removal instructions:
http://www.pchell.com/support/wildtangent.shtml
Old 7th October 2003, 22:08   #23
pvt.ryan

Send a message via ICQ to pvt.ryan Send a message via AIM to pvt.ryan Send a message via Yahoo to pvt.ryan
It was that wtcpl file that i missed, thnx djegg.

Its crap like this that causes your system to slowly degrade in performance over time.
pvt.ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2004, 22:10   #24
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
sorry to bring up an acient thread but i have a question. Is WildTangent in any way related to the winamp visualizations? I'm not sure exactly what it does. one day it just mysteriously showed up on my computer.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2004, 20:49   #25
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

There are (still!) some WildTangent visualizations and games plugins available for download at winamp.com/plugins.

Unless you manually download & install them, then they will never be secretly/automatically installed by Winamp. I repeat "NEVER!"

However, other spyware-riddled software and some 'drive-by' web sites are known to maliciously install spyware without the user's knowledge/consent, and the WT Updater is amongst one of these many spyware items.

Whether or not the WT plugins/games still work if you remove the Updater is something I don't know, and is also something I don't care to experiment with to find out.

Best solution is to install both Spybot Search & Destroy and Spywareblaster, keep them both updated and run them on a regular basis.
Old 20th February 2004, 23:36   #26
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

but WT isn't needed for AVS? right. i think my brother might have downloaded something at one point that needed it. but i've never actually used it i don't think. i'm just trying to make sure i don't mess up anything by getting rid of it.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 21st February 2004, 18:09   #27
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

WT isn't needed for anything except for WT games/visualizers.
None of which come with the default Winamp setup.
WT is 3rd-party and not affiliated with Nullsoft/Winamp in any way whatsoever.

So basically, the answer to your question is "No!"
WT is not needed for AVS.
Just delete the p.o.s.
(uninstall it from add/remove programs, use Spybot S&D to get rid of any remnants, and if it's still there, follow my instructions above to get rid of the WT Control Panel).
Old 23rd February 2004, 02:53   #28
Zeppelin2002

Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin2002
Wild tangent is spyware as said in the first post and subsequent ones. Wild tangent is just a crappy app trying to be good to your comp, but it burrows deep into your computer and you have to do some tweaking of your comp to remove all the crap it leaves on the comp. I know i repeated all the things that djegg said but I just want to vent my displeasure with WT. Later.
Zeppelin2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2004, 06:31   #29
marcus0263

Spybot 1.2

I've used spybot for a over a year and it's excellent and free. They do take donations, which I've actually sent them $$$. I highly recommend using it if you use WinBlows.
marcus0263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2004, 19:55   #30
wakingrufus

i know people whose computers barely run, and i take a looke and remove 100s, nay 1,000s of spyware, adware, extraneous processes, and say "no, you computer is fine, you just dont know how to use it!"
seriously. ive got a PIII 733 w/ 128 MB of RDRAM, and i run a webserver, with a phpbb message board, in addition to using it to do my everyday things i.e. surf the web, use winamp, run a shoutcast stream, type papers, d/l "things". i can do it b/c i keep stuff like WT off of my computer.
wakingrufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2004, 04:44   #31
SpeedFighter

Send a message via AIM to SpeedFighter Send a message via Yahoo to SpeedFighter
Hello I Would Just Like to Thank DJ Egg for helping me with removing wild tangent off my comp i am a newb to all this stuff ;/ .....but now i fou d another problem that when i load my windows it says selective startup is loading for windowns trouble shooting or something.... i dont know how to get rid of that......but wild tangent is gone thank u dj egg

KEEP PUMPIN THAT DANCE MUSIAC DJ SPEED FIGHTER
SpeedFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2004, 05:13   #32
Zeppelin2002

Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin2002
Speedfighter,

To get rid of that message, when it appears again, click on the box "don't remind me again or something like that"
Hope this helps. If not post again and I or somebody else will help you if you don't understand our directions.
Zeppelin2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2004, 06:52   #33
SpeedFighter

Send a message via AIM to SpeedFighter Send a message via Yahoo to SpeedFighter
yes thank u i saw that the nest time i started my comp up and i clicked it now it doesnt apper anymore thank u zepplin

KEEP PUMPIN THAT DANCE MUSIAC DJ SPEED FIGHTER
SpeedFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2004, 05:26   #34
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
awww....this is old. I even found a captian obvious picture for it :9

http://www.p0stwh0res.com/images/captainobvious.jpg
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2004, 16:42   #35
jkurrle

Wild Tangent Madness

Whether spyware or not, Wild Tangent has been an ongoing pain of mine at work. I am constantly cleaning it off of people's PCs. One product that will clean it is SpyBot Search and Destroy, but the new WT varients actually detect SpyBot S&D and will attempt to disable it by deleting SpyBot's DLL files!

If SpyBot detects it, look at what startup file (executeable) it detects. Then do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete to pop up the task manager. Find the program and kill it. Next, you probably need to reinstall SpyBot S&D to effectively clean it. If you have a virus software installed, turn off "active scanning" or "on access scanning" or whatever they call it, or you probably will lock up the scanner. Next scan your system once again and clean off the spyware once and for all. As an option, SpyBot S&D allows you to "immunize" your system, making it harder for spyware to install. This has cut down on my headaches alot.

If SpyBot S&D blows up before starting, the PC may be too infected with spyware for it to run. I've noticed this from time to time. If this is the case, install AdAware from www.lavasoft.de and have it clean out the problems first. This will get your system stable enough to run SpyBot S&D. Of the two, AdAware is more stable, but SpyBot S&D is more thorough.

Incidently, AOL's instant messenger wanted me to update my AIM. I did, but it asked me if I wanted to install some "extra apps", among them AIM games, powered by Wild Tangent. I unchecked the boxes, but sure enough, when I tried to run SpyBot S&D again, it was missing files. Somehow, I'm not surprised...
jkurrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2004, 21:56   #36
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
Crap, the spyware has gotten so bad that I now use at least three spyware/adware programs to keep the crap off my computer - AdAware, SpyBot and SpywareBlaster. The first two detect and remove the programs and the third prevent them even being downloaded.

In addition, I also use McAfee Personal Firewall which keeps these programs from talking to the outside world until I allow it to happen.

With that said I haven't installed any new programs in months but there are websites out there so desperate for ad income that they use ad agencies which do business with these spyware companies. Unless you have adequate protection these will download without your knowledge and in turn download others.

The other day I hit a website and was hit with three popups. Within a minute my firewall detected odd new programs attepmting to talk to the internet - most notably the well known ShopAtHome spyware program. I have both AdAware and SpyBot installed and update them weekly, yet neither stopped the infection thus the reason for SpywareBlaster which keeps ActiveX programs from ever executing and programs like this from ever downloading.

Sadly, the morons who run these companies keep refining their methods and working on finding ways around the blocking programs therefore a good properly configured firewall is your best line of defense even though it still means rempving their bullshit programs.

Fuck spyware.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2004, 23:21   #37
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

if spyblaster stops them from being downloaded, do you even need spybot and adaware?

Old 24th June 2004, 00:21   #38
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
I keep them installed for the rare cases where something still gets in because unfortunately at times you need to allow ActiveX to operate and ... well, sometimes I forget to turn it back on.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2004, 00:29   #39
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yes, every pc should have SpybotSD, Adaware, and Spywareblaster installed.
To complete the big 5, add these two essentials:
SpywareGuard
CWShredder

Die spyware, die!

yes, and of course, a firewall is also essential!
Old 26th June 2004, 00:39   #40
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Links to those big 5:
Spybot Search & Destroy
Ad-aware
SpywareBlaster
SpywareGuard
CWShredder

And the essential #6:
Winamp 5.03