Old 25th March 2002, 01:42   #1
Dariusx

Skipping ON Winamp

System: Gateway P III 500 mhz/Win 98se/25 gig hd/320 ram/Soundblaster 128

Problem One:

I am having trouble playing MP3's on Winamp. I am having skipping problems. I did notice that problem increased the longer I was on the pc. I have accepted it over the years (3) that it was inevitable until I took an MP3 disc to work and played it on Winamp and it did not skip as I surfed the web and opened new pages and worked over the network. I have visted your forums and orthers and have tried (with no success) to correct the problem for about a year now. I did notice posts that said the video card was drawing memory so that set me on a different path. I ran a system diagnostic and the following results were returned:

IRQ 9 U.S. Robotics 56K Voice Win
IRQ 9 Win9x-ME Promise Ultra66 (tm) IDE Controller
IRQ 9 Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128D (WDM)
IRQ 9 3dfx Voodoo3
IRQ 9 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering

As you see the video card is sharing an IRQ with the soundcard. I tried to change the IRQ settig for the sound card when I went into the device manager I got a message that stated "you cannot change the setting." So I looked at the bios and tried to change it through there. I was not able to do that either. FOr each IRQ I could only a-reserve the slot b-change how many devices were on it (I think) one two or three.

1-Could changing the IRQ setting help? If so how do I do it?

Problem 2:

I recently used a registry cleaner and it messed up my audio drivers, so I had to reload them. When I use Winamp now, I also can hear audio from webpages (ex. someone sending a message on AOL). Before this did not happen. How do I disable this?
Dariusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2002, 02:15   #2
Dariusx

A Solution

I finally have found a solution to my skipping MP3 problem. Unfortunately I am not 100% sure what did the trick since I did several things, all I know is I stutter no more.

I notice that this is a common problem on these forums. As I suspected, it had to do with my video card and my audio card sharing the same IRQ. I had tried to change my IRQ using the device manager and BIOS and got nowhere. I kept getting a "cannot change" message. I then read in another forum that if you changed the slot your sound card is in, that the IRQ assignemnt would change. So I changed the slot and as I hoped, the IRQ was changed to a free one. My joy was short lived when I found out that I had to reload my drivers. Once I did this (and it took a while to get it right)I went on line and the problem still persisted and it was even worse than before. The next thing I did was delete all the drivers in the add/remove box and reload them. Still no help. Then I tired the same thing in the "safe mode" and that did the trick. I went on line and surfed with no problem. I detected a slight hesitation when I logged on to this forum but that is nothing like what I had to deal with before. So for all of u who are brave enough to do what I did it may work. I have Win 98Second Edition (I don't know if this will work with other operating systems)
Try these steps:

1-Check to see what IRQ your sound card is assigned and if there is any other major devices assinged there as well. Do this by clicking
start/programs/ascessories/system tools/sytem information/hardware resouces/IRQ's. This will display alist of your IRQ's and what is assinged to them. If your sound card is sharing an IRQ with another device this might be the problem. If it shares with PCI steering that is okay.
**********Do the following if you know what you are doing only*******
2-Go into "safe mode" when you boot up hit the function key F8 when you hear the first beep from the pc. When you are up go into add/remove and remove the drivers for your soundcrad. Reboot and see what happpens.
3-If you still have no success, then you might want to try moving the sound card to another slot. After you do that, and reboot do step 2 again.

After years of trying to figure out how to stop this, I rejoice. Victory is mine!!!!
Dariusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2002, 12:39   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Congratulations!

6 different hardware devices sharing the same IRQ is definitely not healthy.
Especially seeing 4 of them were sound card, video card, modem, and USB.
You can blame Gateway technology for that little mishap.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2002, 02:46   #4
seemore

I am having similar problems with skipping and freezing whenever I do anything like open a page or a program. I have read pages of stuff for hours and can't find anything that helps me. System upgraded to PC MOT-AV18ET Shuttle Socket-370 SDRAM with Intel Celeron 1100MHz 256k, 576MB PC133 SDRAM, Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A , Winamp 2.80.
On board Sound Via'97. Video NVidia GeoForce 2MX/MX-400.
0 System timer
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2 Programmable interrupt controller
3 Communications Port (COM2)
4 Communications Port (COM1)
5 (free)
6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7 Printer Port (LPT1)
8 System CMOS/real time clock
9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
9 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
9 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
10 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
11 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
11 Avance AC'97 Audio for VIA686/8231 Audio Controller
11 Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
11 Lucent Win Modem
12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
13 Numeric data processor
14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

To the best of my limited knowledge I don't see gross conflicts. Have set buffer in Winamp2waveOut plug-in v1.03 to 4000 with no appreciable effect.
Would love to listen to Winamp while I work but it is impossible to deal with.
Same problem on my Toshiba Satellite Pro P3, 256MB Ram
Disabling Anti-Virus (McAfee) just solved the problem but I have always on cable connection and don't want to have to keep disabling this program. Am I being paranoid about wanting it running in the background in case mail comes in or some other bad thing wants to bite me?
seemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 03:49   #5
sobebongholio

so how do you exactly change irq setting? i have a nvidia 6600gt video card and nforce pci express sound card on the same icq, which must be causing my skipping when im browsing and its real annoying. BTW...ever persistent problem for me...how do i make ITMS music work on winamp? i hear hymn is no longer fuctioning and that was the only previous program i heard worked
sobebongholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support