Yeah, those links are for VIA mobos, not Intel.
To enter BIOS, it varies on different systems.
It's usually one of:
Delete | Esc | F2
But it should say what it is for your comp at the bottom of the first screen
(whilst memory test is running)
Not sure if I asked this already or not...
Have you tried the very latest DirectSound Output?
(copy to Winamp\Plugins dir, overwriting old dll)
Open Winamp, goto:
Prefs -> Output -> Crossfading DS Out -> config
Checkmark: Create primary buffer
Set buffer to Max Skipping Protection setting (c/o drop down menu)
If the problem persists, then it's definitely got nothing to do with Winamp.
(I think we've already established this fact)
I'm sure we've already been thu all this, but it's either:
1) DMA / UDMA isn't enabled for the HD
2) The videocard is stealing bus bandwidth from the soundchip.
3) The SoundMax/driver/codec sucks.
4) A combination of all 3, or something else entirely (not sure what though)... look at those links from WinampRocker's first post again.
5) The PCI Latency Timer thing ?!
See if there's any 845 mobo/BIOS/soundmax upgrade patches available @ www.intel.com
ps. out123 / shapeshifterxs
You'll find many different systems used Award Modular BIOS
(Both VIA and Intel mobos, etc, but mainly Intel...)