Old 27th April 2002, 04:19   #1
Adrock

Music and Voice

How does one have his listeners hearing the song in the background yet hear the person talking?

Specs:
Creative Ensoniq
800 mhz PII
256MEG
DSL
Old 27th April 2002, 04:36   #2
Tom

One puts his DSP in advance mode and properly configures their mixers.

If you are running <1.8.2 of the SHOUTcast DSP
Open Winamp > Ctrl + P > DSP/Effect > SHOUTcast Source for Winamp 1.x.x > Configure (in the same box as you selected SHOUTcast Source for Winamp 1.x.x) > Enable Advance Mode

If you are running 1.8.2a or 1.8.2b
With the DSP open > Input tab > Input Device > Soundcard Input > Mic Input > Microphone

Now for the mixers (all versions of DSP):
Click the Mixer or Open Mixer button and this should open both the Recording Mixer and the Playback Mixer (you will most likely need to move one of them to see the other).
In the Recording Mixer select "What U Hear" / "System Mixer" / "Stereo Mixer" (the name on this varies, it may be one or none of those)
In the Playback Mixer make sure the Microphone is NOT muted.
When you press the "Talk" button in the DSP the Microphone volume in the Playback Mixer should increase and the Wave volume should decrease. When you let go of the button the volumes should return to their previous settings.

One thing to note about Advanced Mode. Any sounds that you hear WILL be broadcast. This includes AIM notifications, Email Notification and any other sounds you may have going on.

Tom

Old 27th April 2002, 22:13   #3
Adrock

Thanks a bunch. I recently heard a DJ useing something that sounded like what crossfader would do over shoutcast!!! is this possible? What program should i use and where should i get it?
Old 27th April 2002, 23:59   #4
Tom

If you're in advanced mode then all you need is an output crossfading plugin for Winamp. If you are in normal mode you will need SqrSoft crossfader and then run the SHOUTcast DSP from there or a DSP stacker (not MuchFX though) and a DSP crossfader.

Tom
Old 30th April 2002, 02:07   #5
Adrock

One other question, why does when i use the Stereo Mix, the music is really loud and really bad quality..
Old 4th May 2002, 20:07   #6
CampersDeath

I have a little Problem: When I'm pressing Configure for the Shoutcast Source DSP v1.8.2b nothing happens. What can I do?
I want to change in Advanced Mode
Old 4th May 2002, 21:24   #7
Tom

CampersDeath,
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom

With the DSP open > Input tab > Input Device > Soundcard Input > Mic Input > Microphone

Adrock,
I'm not sure exactly what the issue is here, however try adjusting your mixers (whatever you have selected in your recording mixer turn down). In advanced mode you broadcast at the levels set by your mixers not the internal level of the mp3 + preamp/EQ which is used in regular mode. You might have some clipping going on which would mess up the quality but should be taken care of by adjusting the levels of the mixers.

Tom
Old 27th May 2002, 17:13   #8
Equenox

Send a message via ICQ to Equenox
Quote:
Originally posted by Adrock
One other question, why does when i use the Stereo Mix, the music is really loud and really bad quality..
yes i have the same problem :/

when i switch to "what you hear" in the mixer, my liseners have often VERY bad sound (very much bass) and they cant hear my voice even if i press the "push to talk" button

and this happens in mono mode too...
Old 8th June 2002, 03:08   #9
Akiboshi

I'm having trouble mixing the music with the voice on my computer.

I have a USB Microphone and it's listed as "USB Audio Device" in my Audio Properties > Audio Tab > Recording Devices. Since my microphone isn't connected to my sound card in any way I can't select "SB Live! Wave Device" under the recording devices and use the microphone at the same time. The problem is that the Mixer device for the "USB Audio Device" only has 1 voluem setting, Wave In.

I've checked the Options > Properties to see if there were some unchecked settings but found nothing.

Without the other settings all people hear when I use my microphone is my voice and no music at all. Any suggestions? or perhaps there is a way to mix your voice with the music within Winamp using a plugin? Thanks.
Old 13th July 2002, 02:23   #10
marcjv1

Send a message via AIM to marcjv1
Havin trouble still

Well, originally i was told that i needed to use the crossfader to do this, but i just want the simple old way like in dsp <1.8.2 , but i use > 1.8.2 and i had tried what was above but what it did was show -46db nomatter what i did..so i mean i cant figure this out and now i cant get it to stop crossfading at the end of each song, but thats okay, i just really want to talk to my listeners..so if there is anyay i can do this, or if someone has an older DSP version they could send me, greatly appriciated

~Someday DJ Marc
Old 13th July 2002, 02:56   #11
Tom

Re: Havin trouble still

Quote:
Originally posted by marcjv1
Well, originally i was told that i needed to use the crossfader to do this, but i just want the simple old way like in dsp <1.8.2 , but i use > 1.8.2 and i had tried what was above but what it did was show -46db nomatter what i did..so i mean i cant figure this out and now i cant get it to stop crossfading at the end of each song, but thats okay, i just really want to talk to my listeners..so if there is anyay i can do this, or if someone has an older DSP version they could send me, greatly appriciated

~Someday DJ Marc
Go through the mixer part again... it sounds like the proper thing is not selected. Also if you want an old version of the DSP use the search and look for 1.8.0, I've posted the link several times and at the moment I'm too lazy to go find it.

Tom
Old 15th July 2002, 13:55   #12
VeGeTo2k

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
One puts his DSP in advance mode and properly configures their mixers.

If you are running <1.8.2 of the SHOUTcast DSP
Open Winamp > Ctrl + P > DSP/Effect > SHOUTcast Source for Winamp 1.x.x > Configure (in the same box as you selected SHOUTcast Source for Winamp 1.x.x) > Enable Advance Mode

Now for the mixers (all versions of DSP):
Click the Mixer or Open Mixer button and this should open both the Recording Mixer and the Playback Mixer (you will most likely need to move one of them to see the other).
In the Recording Mixer select "What U Hear" / "System Mixer" / "Stereo Mixer" (the name on this varies, it may be one or none of those)
In the Playback Mixer make sure the Microphone is NOT muted.
When you press the "Talk" button in the DSP the Microphone volume in the Playback Mixer should increase and the Wave volume should decrease. When you let go of the button the volumes should return to their previous settings.

One thing to note about Advanced Mode. Any sounds that you hear WILL be broadcast. This includes AIM notifications, Email Notification and any other sounds you may have going on.

Tom

But when I push the Talk Button nothing happens it doesnt increase the Playback Mixer and doesnt decrease the Wave volume but days before its worked pefectly PLZ HELP ME
Old 19th August 2002, 03:06   #13
WingZRadio

Quote:
Originally posted by VeGeTo2k

But when I push the Talk Button nothing happens it doesnt increase the Playback Mixer and doesnt decrease the Wave volume but days before its worked pefectly PLZ HELP ME
Same here.
Old 3rd September 2002, 06:30   #14
Necroist

Quote:
Originally posted by Akiboshi
I'm having trouble mixing the music with the voice on my computer.

I have a USB Microphone and it's listed as "USB Audio Device" in my Audio Properties > Audio Tab > Recording Devices. Since my microphone isn't connected to my sound card in any way I can't select "SB Live! Wave Device" under the recording devices and use the microphone at the same time. The problem is that the Mixer device for the "USB Audio Device" only has 1 voluem setting, Wave In.

I've checked the Options > Properties to see if there were some unchecked settings but found nothing.

Without the other settings all people hear when I use my microphone is my voice and no music at all. Any suggestions? or perhaps there is a way to mix your voice with the music within Winamp using a plugin? Thanks.
I have the same problem, my Mic Input is set at "Microphone", everything seems perfect, I can't hear my mic until I press the "push to talk" BUT, my listeners, are only hearing what's coming from my mic. They don't get to listen to the music.

I did a test, and tried to try talking on my shoutcast without perssing the Push to Talk, and I can only hear my mic input (ie. my keyboard typing blah blah) and, I can hear myself too.

Can anyone help?
Old 18th September 2002, 01:50   #15
Oriox

Send a message via AIM to Oriox
I too have this problem. The difference is that mine worked the very first time i did a live show. The show was 7 hours long(i made a party of it) and it worked the whole time. Since then it hasn't worked at all, all the listeners hear is the mic, no bg music. I've been looking for an answer for over a month now and i can't find anything.
Old 18th September 2002, 12:17   #16
Necroist

Sorry I didn't reply to this eariler.

After some help from my friends, I managed to solve the problem. First, go into your volume control (Play Control - Doubleclick your speakers icon).

Then, go to the Options Menu and select Properties. Then check the radio "Recording" and then check the "What You Hear" in the bottom.

After that, you should see the Recording Panel popup. Then make sure the "What You Here" option is checked in there.

Wa-lah

Just make sure you off your PC sounds. Its annoying when my ICQ sounds get broadcasted to my audiences.

P/S: Anyone here knows how to save my own shoutcast? I want to record my show.
Old 19th September 2002, 18:49   #17
Oriox

ok, but there is no 'what you hear' button in my properties
i've tried doing it with every different option(stereo mix, mono mix, line in, microphon) and none of them give me bg music with voice.with mic i get pure voice and with the rest i get no voice. help. The wave volume decreases when i press teh talk button and that's it. the music on the other end just cuts out.
Old 19th September 2002, 22:06   #18
Necroist

You must make sure u check
"What You Hear" in the option>properties>recording tab.
Old 19th September 2002, 22:59   #19
Oriox

it's not there.
Old 22nd September 2002, 19:35   #20
rgreenpc

Help.....

OK my setup -

Winamp 2.8
Shoutcast 1.8.2

XP
and a hurc fortisimo card....

I have tried everything that has been suggested.... problem is -

if i switch to my soundcard in the input for shoutcast...

all people hear is me typing and REAL LOW MUSIC - like i have a locked open hot mike ( but i dont )

any ideas?
Old 22nd September 2002, 22:37   #21
Tom

Re: Help.....

Post screen shots of both your recording and playback mixer. It sounds like the mic is selected in the recording mixer though.

Tom

Quote:
Originally posted by rgreenpc
OK my setup -

Winamp 2.8
Shoutcast 1.8.2

XP
and a hurc fortisimo card....

I have tried everything that has been suggested.... problem is -

if i switch to my soundcard in the input for shoutcast...

all people hear is me typing and REAL LOW MUSIC - like i have a locked open hot mike ( but i dont )

any ideas?
Old 22nd September 2002, 23:07   #22
rgreenpc

here ya go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg record.jpg (37.1 KB, 5321 views)
Old 22nd September 2002, 23:08   #23
rgreenpc

and playback

oops picture didnt attach sorry
Old 22nd September 2002, 23:22   #24
rgreenpc

playback

here is playback
Attached Images
File Type: jpg playback.jpg (47.6 KB, 4752 views)
Old 23rd September 2002, 00:21   #25
Tom

Select "Stereo Mix" in the Recording Control.

Tom
Old 23rd September 2002, 01:40   #26
rgreenpc

That did it Tom....

Thanks - you saved me from buying an $$$ program to do what shoutcast&winamp do for free....

Now if only I can find enough friends with Broadband to let me relay - I only have 512 upload and i had that maxxed on my 1st show...

Thoughts?
Old 5th October 2002, 20:00   #27
Sxradio

same prob

I dont have a sterio mix tab or anything... I use xp please help lol they can hear me typing ect no music....

I have sound blaster
Old 11th October 2002, 00:43   #28
GODxOFxEMPTINES

""In the Recording Mixer select "What U Hear" / "System Mixer" / "Stereo Mixer" (the name on this varies, it may be one or none of those) ""

i also dont have these options. Im running XP withg the latest sound blaster drivers. Help would be much appreciated.
Old 11th October 2002, 02:51   #29
Tom

Post screen shots of your recording mixers. Also be sure that the option is hiding under Options > Properties > Show the following volume controls in the recording mixer.

Tom
Old 11th October 2002, 04:16   #30
GODxOFxEMPTINES

http://www.nomadsoft.net/~caduceus/ss.JPG

theres a pic, i appreciate the help
Old 11th October 2002, 04:29   #31
Tom

In the "Record Control" select "Record Master".
In the "Play Control" un-mute "Microphone".
Push the "Talk" button once in the DSP and that should set the mic level and music level and then you should be all set.

Tom
Old 12th October 2002, 00:10   #32
crazzel

i can't have music and my voice together when i use soundcard input.
i mean: you can only hear my voice without the music
i use the newest drivers for my sb pci 128 (ct4700) but there is no stereo mix or something else (like seen in the picture)

(aufnahme means record)
thx in advance *wave*
www.gamers-center.net/files/crazy/shoutcast.jpg
Old 13th October 2002, 15:10   #33
crazzel

could you atleast say no clue or something?
thx
Old 15th October 2002, 05:03   #34
SgtNeo

I too have the loud music, extremely soft mic input problem.

I only hear my mic when i push to talk (good) but the music decreases volume normally, but when i talk it BARELY even comes across, like i have to strain my ears to hear it... Any possible fixes? SS's coming in a minute...

I'm usin Windows XP btw.
> 1.8.2 DSP
Attached Images
File Type: gif mixer.gif (50.7 KB, 2763 views)
Old 18th October 2002, 03:36   #35
Fadge

I'm having a problem with my mic setup. I'm pretty sure the problem is that I have two soundcards in my machine and the DSP is not recognizing one of them. Why two soundcards? My good soundcard (Maudio Audiophile 2496) doesn't have a mic input so I left my old card (SB AudioPCI 64V) in so I could still use my mic.

I have been able to get this setup working with all other software I've tried it with. When I try to open the mixer in the DSP I get the message "There is a problem with your sound hardware. You may install or activate mixer devices from the Control Panel". See the screenshot below for the error message and my mixer settings.

When I hit the "Push to Talk" button, the volume lowers on the background music, but my mic will not work. My comp is set up so that all audio is outputted through my maudio card. The only thing I use my Sound Blaster for is the mic input.

Anyone have any thoughts? Am I doing something really stupid or missing something incredibly obvious? Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winamperror.jpg (95.4 KB, 1959 views)
Old 27th October 2002, 08:51   #36
DJNavy

hiii

Hello I tried going to the configuration nothing happens when I press the button...Do I have the version of shoutcast to use voice?
Old 27th October 2002, 22:44   #37
lasagna

Send a message via ICQ to lasagna
Probably DSP bug

I've making some experiments here. Since yesterday when I was interviewing live and it was all crappy, because the music was too loud for the voice and stuff...
I opened my soundforge and started to record and was using DSP to pretend it was live.
When u hit the Push to talk button, it puts the Mic volume high and wave down, but not the necessary. And it should put the mic volume in the recording mode down too when u release the button, if you know what I mean.
So I guess the only way to make it work is to control it manually, but U always forget to turn it on and off when u r playing etc...
perhaps it will work on the next version of the DSP
Does anybody knows another software for radio? u can also use winamp to transmit, but play from another source...
Old 1st November 2002, 17:20   #38
Zaya

I've had a similar problem as some others.

If I try to use the mic, the music cuts out entirely and it seems to stay on a "lock" position and I'm unable to get the music up and no one can hear it if I use the "Soundcard Input" and then press talk.

Below is the screenshot. I don't have many options nor any that seem to have solved others' problems

http://www.fear.net/zay/help.jpg
http://www.fear.net/zay/help2.jpg <- sorry, I put the wrong 2 boxes together in the first picture, here's the volume control box instead of two recording boxes.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Addied in the second URL as well for the Volume Controls.
Old 2nd November 2002, 19:55   #39
SupaBoy

Send a message via AIM to SupaBoy Send a message via Yahoo to SupaBoy
Somone plz help me with the music/ mic volume thing

Well heres and ss of my settings and stuff.. i dunno wat else to do... tom u seem to be the person that knows most plz help me kthx
Old 2nd November 2002, 20:36   #40
SupaBoy

Send a message via AIM to SupaBoy Send a message via Yahoo to SupaBoy
i dotn tthin i linked the picture of the ss here it is now.. thought.. take a look at it.. can somen plz help me with it

hm.. i dunno how to freakin put a link in.. im retarded.. i thoguht u could just attach it
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions