Old 26th May 2002, 06:20   #1
Xeno

Yet another thread about skips in playback...

Okay, first let me assure you that I do not waste your time with the same tired old question lightly; I've tried every pertinent suggestion here as well as every other thing I can think of but had no luck. Let me give you my specs:
  • Winamp 2.8
  • Windows XP Professional
  • AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1200@1352 (completely stable)
  • Maxi Sound Muse audio card
  • Crucial 256 MB PC133 SDRAM
  • Abit KT7-RAID mobo
  • ATI Radeon 7200
  • Western Digital 30 GB ATA 100 HD
  • Teac 24/10/40 CD-RW
  • (Don't remember brand - something generic) ATAPI 52X CDROM
  • 300 Watt AMD certified power supply
  • Linksys LNE100TX NIC
  • Scientific Atlanta cable modem
  • Internet Explorer 6.0
  • Latest drivers, BIOS's, firmware, etc. for everything
I'm sure you don't need all that, but better too much info than not enough. Anyway, my problem is identical to the problem that people before me have had. Winamp (and Media Player, Music Match, Real Jukebox, and ATI Multimedia Center for that matter) intermittently skips during playback. The problem is less pronounced during periods of inactivity (i.e. listening to music and nothing else) and increasingly worse in proportion to CPU activity.

My MP3 woes only began ocurring after I "upgraded" to XP Pro. I never experienced anything of this sort in 98SE. In fact, I used to marvel at how many programs I could run simultaneously and still have completely uninterrupted playback.
**Xeno takes a nostalgic moment**
In XP, however, I can't seem to get smooth playback no matter what I try.

Yesterday, I thought that I had the problem figured out. You see, I found out to my horror that my USB controller, NIC, video card, sound card, and RAID controller were all sharing the same IRQ. It turned out that ACPI had wreaked havoc on yet another victim's computer. After significant tribulations, I finally got the IRQ issue worked out. Here is my current configuration:
  • IRQ 0 System timer
  • IRQ 1 PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)
  • IRQ 3 RADEON 7200
  • IRQ 4 Communications Port
  • IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller
  • IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock
  • IRQ 9 Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4)
  • IRQ 10 HPT370 UDMA/ATA100 RAID Controller
  • IRQ 11 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
  • IRQ 11 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
  • IRQ 11 CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
  • IRQ 13 Numeric data processor
  • IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel
  • IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel
Note: The USB controller being listed twice on IRQ 11 is NOT a typo. I don't know what's going on there...

To my relief, Quicktime 5.0 finally worked correctly after this. Before, it had been giving me BSOD's whenever I tried to play a video clip. Unfortunately, the mp3 situation remained unchanged.

Potentially helpful info:
Inability to correctly play mp3s is not the only quirk I'm having with XP that I didn't have with 98.
  • Whenever my CD Drives spin up, they become excessively loud. Apart from that (and the quirk mentioned below), they seem to function correctly though.
  • Occasionally, my CD burner will not respond when I press the eject button on the drive. The tray refuses to open. Sometimes I can circumvent this through Windows and sometimes I have to use a paper clip to manually pop the tray out.
  • When I boot my machine (cold and warm) windows loads pretty fast. It usually takes under 30 seconds for the desktop to appear. However, for approximately another 20 seconds after the desktop appears, I cannot access any of the buttons on the taskbar. When I position the cursor over it, I get an hourglass and all mouse clicks are seemingly disregarded. This is strange because when I have the cursor positioned over the desktop during this time, I get an arrow and can open files, etc. Wierd, no?
A friend of mine thinks that the CD-ROM problems indicate an insufficient or malfunctioning power supply. He says that 300 Watts is the bare minimum for an Athlon machine. I'm not sure I believe that. And in any event, could such a PS cause the aforementioned mp3 troubles?

You also may have noticed that my sound card is...marginal. It uses the crappy C-media stuff. Also, driver support from Guillemot has been crappy at best. This leads me to believe that there might be a driver problem. I'll write this again, however: everything was cool in 98.

It's rather obvious that this problem goes far deeper than Winamp. I built this computer myself and know it like the back of my hand...and yet I'm stumped with this. I'm at my wit's end here. Any help is appreciated.
Old 26th May 2002, 12:59   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I've a feeling it's because you're using unsupported hardware with WinXP.

http://us.guillemot.com/products/muse/index.php3

Are the drivers WinXP certified, and is the card on Micro$oft's compatibility list? There's no mention of XP here:
http://us.guillemot.com/products/muse/techspecs.php3

It's the first time I've actually heard of this particular sound card. Guillemot's better quality sound cards come under the Hercules range (Game Theater XP, Muse XL, Fortissimo II)
http://us.hercules.com/products/index.php3

I'm almost certain that this is a driver-related issue.
If it's not soundcard, then I'd take a look at motherboard and ATI Radeon drivers.

Another thing I noticed is the overclocking.
Is there really any need to overclock a 1.2GHz CPU ?
(regardless of whether it was ok under Win98)

As for the IRQ's . . . hmmm

USB Ctrl, NIC, video card, sound card, and RAID all sharing the same IRQ
Well, I'm certainly glad to hear you managed to sort out that problem. Phew.

ps. Hey, I wish everyone would give such detailed reports as you,
it makes our lives here so much easier (although I must admit that your particular case is a tough one).

btw, I hope you've also sent a copy of this report to Microsoft Support
Old 26th May 2002, 20:40   #3
Xeno

Quote:
I'm almost certain that this is a driver-related issue.
Hmm...I'm inclined to agree. But which drivers? Both the sound card driver and the video card drivers say that they're XP-compliant, but there could be a bug. Who knows?

Here are the links to the drivers I have installed:
sound card (6.30)
video card (6.13.10.6071)

They claim that they support XP. Further, when I installed them, I didn't get any error messages whatsoever (unsigned drivers, etc).
Quote:
Another thing I noticed is the overclocking.
Is there really any need to overclock a 1.2GHz CPU ?
(regardless of whether it was ok under Win98)
Yeah, I already considered the possibility that the problem was related to overclocking 2 days ago. So, I reinstalled the latest BIOS for my mobo (kt77n.exe), thus restoring all settings to default and un-overclocking my processor. Even running at 1200 mhz with all the CPU and RAM tweaks turned off (maximum stability), I had no luck.

Quote:
Is USB Controller listed twice in Device Manager?
Indeed it is! Take a look:
Quote:
Universal Serial Bus Controllers
--USB Root Hub
--USB Root Hub
--VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
--VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
Also:
Quote:
Computer
--Standard PC
--Standard PC
Before I fixed the IRQs, "ACPI" was listed under "Computer", not "Standard PC". However, "ACPI" was not listed twice. Hmmm...

Those are all the redundancies I can find, but I definitely think there might be something to them.

Quote:
btw, I hope you've also sent a copy of this report to Microsoft Support
Heh, they have enough trouble getting their own software to work for them.

http://www.enemy.org/gallery/mov/gates.30.240-BSOD.mov Classic clip.
Old 27th May 2002, 08:26   #4
cubabit

Me too!

Hi,

I'm having virtually exactly the same problem! I have Windows XP, a nVidia TNT2 card on a pentium 3 600mhz machine. I have Guillemot's Hercules Game Theater XP card and rack. I've had it replaced, but I still get stutters and skips in MP3 playback.

I've managed to resolve any IRQ conflicts (but I have the USB controller on the same IRQ as the sound card...).

My sound also worked fine when I used the on board sound under windows XP. But when I installed the sound card, the sound glitches appeared! I have the latest sound drivers from hercules.com.

Stranger though, is that when I removed the card to get it replaced, my on board sound (which worked fine before) now had the same problems.

I have also reinstalled Windows XP. Before then, I had a dual boot system, and I experienced the same problems with the GT XP under windows 98.

I am beginning to think it is something else. The only thing I have upgraded is my hard disk. Surely it cannot be that - its a good quality IBM one.

Basically, Xeno, if you get the problem rectified - please let me know!!

Cheers.
Old 27th May 2002, 12:08   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Has anyone worked out how to make sure DMA is enabled for the hard drive yet under WinXP ?
In all previous OS's it was c/o
System CP -> (Hardware) -> Device Manager -> Disk Drives -> Hard Drive -> properties -> settings tab: checkmark "DMA"
But apparently this option no longer exists in WinXP.

Enabling DirectMemoryAccess for the hard drive fixed all my skipping problems a few years back.

Another thing you might want to look at is the PCI Latency Timer setting in BIOS
Apparently WinXP sets it to 64.
Resetting it back to 32 might fix the problem.

Further info:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=85420
Old 27th May 2002, 13:34   #6
cubabit

>Has anyone worked out how to make sure DMA is enabled for the hard
>drive yet under WinXP ?

To check, run 'msinfo32.exe', Go to Hardware Resources->DMA. Mine doesn't list the hard disk. But as to set it... anyone's idea!

Pete
Old 27th May 2002, 13:41   #7
cubabit

Oops. actually, go to device manager->IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers->(Primary|Secondary) IDE channel->properties->advanced settings

All my devices say 'DMA if available'. But as my previous post says, my hard disk isn't listed under DMA in System information.

Still not fixed my glitchey playback tho...

BTW, Xeno, if you go to www.hercules.com and sign up for their forums, there is a 13 message thread about our mutual problem. It mentions getting new drivers for VIA chipsets. Hope that may help you!

Pete
Old 27th May 2002, 19:21   #8
Xeno

cubabit has got the correct procedure for changing DMA settings in XP. However, my drives have already been set to "DMA if available" for some time now. I also installed that PCI latency patch, and the problem persists.

Quote:
BTW, Xeno, if you go to www.hercules.com and sign up for their forums, there is a 13 message thread about our mutual problem. It mentions getting new drivers for VIA chipsets.
That's not the best of links there, cubabit. Maybe you could give me one that actually takes me to the thread in question? Better yet, maybe you could give me a brief rundown of its contents? As for VIA, I have the latest 4-in-1 drivers as well as every other pertinent download from here. Still nothing...
Old 27th May 2002, 20:06   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

It could possibly be a resource conflict with the USB and soundcard sharing the same IRQ. You might want to consider physically moving the soundcard to another available PCI slot?

Re: VIA Chipset woes

Hmm . . . did you both have an onboard sound chip enabled prior to installing the proper soundcards? If so, is it properly disabled in BIOS ?

More VIA Chipset woes here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=72895
http://www.viahardware.com/download/viatweak.shtm
http://alive.singnet.com.sg/tech/via.htm (SBLive cards only)
http://www.vortexofsound.com/techhelp/th-v2a80.htm (AurealVortex cards only)
http://www.viahardware.com/download/index.shtm (4-in-1 drivers/includes WinXP fixes)
http://download.viahardware.com/vlatency_v019.zip (Via PCI Latency patch v0.19)http://www.networking.tzo.com/net/so...e/faqvl019.htm (Creative cards/latency patch)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=85420

btw, Have we talked about hardware acceleration yet?

Multimedia Control Panel has a hardware acceleration slider
So does DirectX Diagnostic Tool (start -> run -> dxdiag) (Audio tab, I think)

Try moving slider(s) back a notch or two to see if it makes any difference.
Old 28th May 2002, 08:24   #10
cubabit

>That's not the best of links there, cubabit. Maybe you could give me
>one that actually takes me to the thread in question?

Sorry Xeno. I can't give you a direct link as you have to sign up forst. But go to http://forum.hercules.com/ and sign up. Go to the Game Theater XP forum and scroll to the bottom most thread: 'MP3s stutter'.

Probably the most useful to you reads like this:

>To Fix the Problem with all VIA Chipsets (I think)
>Download the latest VIA All in One Drivers (1.38 at the moment)
>Download the Old miniport driver version Drivers
>Install the Via Old miniport driver version Drivers
>In Windows XP it will allow you to access the CD-Rom drive without
>any skipping of music... From your post it is hard to know what you
>are running.
>This fixed all my problems, and it worked on my friends PC's.
>I run an Athlon 1 gig with an Asus A7V133, with Windows XP and I >hated XP until i found out this works.
>NOTE: That you lose the ability to go into sleep (hibernate) mode,
>but no big loss to enjoy proper sound.
>Hope this helps guys!

The guy then adds:

>Forgot to add to install the via all in one drivers...

But I presume he meant install before the miniport drivers

One thing you'll notice on the Hercules forum is how most people moan at their tech. support - something you and I can empatise with!!

I spent last night trying to sort it out. I have a MicroStar motherboard with an Intel 820 chipset, so I have no idea what drivers to update (I have tried, but the installer says 'The OS you are running fully supports this motherboard' or summat.

Maybe it is the USB thing, as I have trouble with the USB connections on my Game Theater XP as well. I have tried moving the card between slots to no avail. Maybe I'll find an unused IRQ....

BTW how do you manually select IRQs in Win XP? I've turned off IRQ steerinmg, but that doesn't help. Do I have to disable ACPI? I've recently done a fresh install and just finished reinstalling all my software, so reinstalling WinXP doesn't sound too appealing!

Sigh.
Old 28th May 2002, 10:08   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yes, as far as I know, you've got to disable ACPI (System -> Computer -> Advanced Configuration & Power Interface -> Update Driver -> Change to "Standard PC") in order to manually set IRQ's.

And naturally, you can't install any VIA Chipset patches if yours is an Intel Chipset. Maybe try www.intel.com/support instead.

And yes, take a look at the USB. It could well be the cause of the problems.
You'd honestly think http://support.microsoft.com would be only too willing to provide support for XP customers . . . the first XP Service Pack should be coming soon...

Good luck, and let us know how ya get on.
Old 28th May 2002, 17:04   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

ps.

Can you also confirm whether reducing hardware acceleration makes any difference?

These are the instructions for WinME/2k (not sure if it's the same for XP)

Sounds & Multimedia Control Panel -> Audio tab
Sound Playback -> Advanced button -> Performance tab

Hardware Acceleration: Default = Full
Try moving it down a notch

Also look at "Sample Rate Conversion Quality" slider
(experiment with Good to Best settings... I think "Good" is default)

If this bears no effect, even with Hardware Acceleration set to None,
Try the slider in the DirectX Diagnostic Tool (c/o Sound tab)
start -> run -> dxdiag

Anyway, there's plenty to work on here, so let us know any results.
Good luck... again.

pps. Although this relates to 3DFX Voodoo Cards under 2k/XP, there's some interesting stuff about WinXP/Athlons/etc further down the page here:
http://www.voodoofiles.com/3dfxhelp.asp
Old 29th May 2002, 21:06   #13
cubabit

Hi DJEgg,

regarding ACPI, if I go to Device manager->Computer, all I see is 'Standard PC'. Does this mean i do not have ACPI set up?

cubabit
Old 29th May 2002, 21:10   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yup
Old 29th May 2002, 23:14   #15
cubabit

Ok. Well, that's good - coz another reinstall of XP would have killed me!

But seriously, am i being a bit dense, or why is it that even in Administrator mode, I canoon change the IRQ of devices (the 'chenge settings' button is greyed out)?

Thanks for all your help BTW, I just hope i can get this sorted. Hardware Acceleration in the sound CP or the DirectX diag. didn't seem to fix it
Old 30th May 2002, 00:08   #16
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Not sure about XP, but in Win9x/ME you have to uncheck "use automatic settings" first, then the "Change Settings" button can be activated.

Sad to hear that reducing hardware acceleration didn't help.
Did you try intel support for updated drivers?
btw, who is the manufacturer of the actual motherboard? Also try checking their site for any patches.

I'm still convinced this is a driver-related issue, though singling out which ones exactly... this is the problem. Soundcard, videocard, motherboard, HD Controllers, netcard... could be any of these.

And hey, have you managed to get soundcard & USB Controller on separate IRQs yet? This could well be the key!

Hmm... I wonder what's happened to Xeno ?
I hope he hasn't developed any phobias
Old 30th May 2002, 08:45   #17
cubabit

I'm (optimistically) guessing Xeno got his problems sorted...

In my XP at home (and here at work) if I go to device manager as Administrator and look at the properties for any device, and go to resources, even the 'Use Automatic Settings' is greyed out. I'll have a look at support.microsoft.com, but I won't hold my breath!

I did download Intel's drivers for the 820 chipset, but the installer said 'Your OS fully supports this chipset' or something like that.

I even went to Microstar's website, but there are no patches for my motherboard. They did have a BIOS update. Wonder whether that may help?

When I'm home again, I'll list here all my IRQs and hardware setup.

I did try uninstalling the USB interface, but it always went back on IRQ 10. I changed IRQ10 to ISA in my BIOS to see if that would force in onto another, but then XP wouldn't boot! Got it booting again, eventually...

My CD ROM gave up the ghost yesterday, and I've ordered another one. When I install it, I'll play about with swapping the actual sound card around the PCI slots.
Old 30th May 2002, 18:49   #18
Xeno

DJEgg:
Quote:
Hmm... I wonder what's happened to Xeno ?
I hope he hasn't developed any phobias.
cubabit:
Quote:
I'm (optimistically) guessing Xeno got his problems sorted...
No, I haven't been scared away and no I haven't got my problems sorted out. I've just been away for a while.

DJEgg:
Quote:
You both seem to have some problems with USB Controller
Xeno's is listed twice
Yeah. Stupid me, I forgot that this was exactly how my computer should be. You see, on my motherboad, I have two USB slots (soldered to the mobo itself) by default. I also have an optional attachment that adds two more USB ports to my comp. It connects to my mobo and occupies a PCI opening at the back of my machine, although it doesn't acutally occupy a PCI slot. Hence, I have two USB controllers and two USB root hubs listed in device manager. I did however get rid of the second "Standard PC" entry.

cubabit:
Quote:
But go to http://forum.hercules.com/ and sign up.
Thanks for the instructions, but I can't try this until later tonight as I'm posting from a different computer. Maybe it'll help.

DJEgg:
Quote:
Can you also confirm whether reducing hardware acceleration makes any difference?
Nah, no difference. I even moved the sliders all the way to the left. Nothing. I also tried disabling smooth scrolling (I hadn't done so before because I didn't think it would make a difference), and little to my surprise it didn't.

cubabit:
Quote:
But seriously, am i being a bit dense, or why is it that even in Administrator mode, I canoon change the IRQ of devices.
To my knowledge, you can't change IRQs from within Windows. There are two other ways that I know of doing it: physically moving your PCI cards to different slots, and fiddling around in the BIOS. Since you don't look to be using an Award BIOS, I can't tell you exactly what to change, but the option should be in there somewhere. You may also want to investigate the peculilarities of your particular board. For example, I recently found out that even though my computer has eight "slots" (1 ISA, 6 PCI, 1 AGP), they all share only four IRQs. Consequently, it is impossible to me to configure my IRQs in such a way that there is no sharing. Arghh! If you look at my current configuration, you'll see that my sound card is sharing with my USB. Maybe later I'll dump the USB on my video card or NIC and give my sound card its own IRQ. Worth a try...

Incidentally, I've had quite enough of Windows XP. On Monday, the QuickTime problem that I thought I'd licked reappeared again. Additionally, I've been getting way too many BSODs for my comfort. I even got one while only running Winamp while I was browsing through my Start menu. I had resolved to uninstall XP and try Win 2000 later today, but I guess I'll try a few more solutions first. If you stop hearing from me completely, you'll know that I've done.
Old 1st June 2002, 22:43   #19
Xeno

Resolution:

Conventional wisdom states that most modern devices can share IRQs with no problem. Buying in to this conditional truth, I let my sound card share an IRQ with my USB controller. Skipping abounds. Then, I decided to give my sound card its own IRQ. Suddenly, the problem was solved.

Incidentally, in order to get the sound card its own IRQ, it was necessary for my USB controller and NIC to share one. They work fine! Strange...

DJEgg, you may want to add this thread to your ever-growing list of skipping fixes. I'm not sure that any of the current ones deal with this problem specifically.
Old 1st June 2002, 23:33   #20
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by DJEgg
...have you managed to get soundcard & USB Controller on separate IRQs yet? This could well be the key!
Heyhey, glad to hear you got it sorted. I've always said that the soundcard should not be sharing IRQ with any other hardware. Congratulations.
Old 9th June 2002, 16:20   #21
chrisgeleven

Send a message via AIM to chrisgeleven
I have the same problem on a laptop running Windows XP...like 3 or 4 devices (including the sound card and video card) are running on IRQ 5. Winamp skips a lot when running lots of applications. Gets very annoying at times.

Tried switching from ACPI to Standard PC, still can't change the IRQ settings. I would remove the sound card, etc...problem is, I have a laptop! Kinda hard to remove stuff from a laptop...

Anyone have any ideas for what I can do? I have enough free IRQ's to move everything to a separate IRQ...I just have to figure out how?!?!?
Old 10th June 2002, 08:45   #22
cubabit

I moved my sound card to another slot (for the second time) and now all is OK! no stutters, and nice crisp sound!

Thanks for all the help DJEgg. My Sound card is now sharing with my graphics card, but a bit more swapping may sort that out. I'm still having USB problems (device not recognised, devices 'disconnecting' themselves etc) but I contacted Microsoft and they said it was probably because I was running a beta of Windows XP. I guess I've had enough of evaluating and should upgrade to the full thing!..

cubabit
Old 10th June 2002, 10:56   #23
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@cubabit
Glad to hear you sorted it out.
Yes, I'd blame the buggy beta version of XP.

@chrisgeleven
If you can't change IRQs from within Windows Device Manager,
then you'll need to do it in the BIOS (press DEL @ bootup).
Consult your motherboard manual for instructions.

Further info:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q314068
Old 10th June 2002, 21:41   #24
chrisgeleven

On my laptop (Acer TravelMate 602-TER, P3-650 MHz, 256 MB RAM, 12 GB hard drive), the BIOS is accessed by the F2 key. The BIOS is quite limited, with only a few options for changing IRQ's. The only devices listed are the Infrared Port, Communications Port, and one other I can't remember off the top of my head. No sound card, video card, network card, or modem (all of which share IRQ 5). You wanna talk about some sucking up of bandwidth, try running all of those devices off of 1 IRQ.

As far as I can tell, Acer's support site (http://www.acersupport.com/) doesn't offer any BIOS updates for my laptop. Looks like I'm screwed. Wish there was SOMETHING I could do! Any suggestions?

I checked out that link to Microsoft (typical Microsoft response: "Even if we screw up your computer's IRQ settings, causing your audio to pop/skip and a host of other problems that SHOULDN'T result from this practice, think of the benefits Windows XP offers!", [note, these are my words not Microsoft's, although they imply it]).

I hate to reinstall Windows XP, I already did once (before I knew about that F5 key during setup) in the past 2 weeks. Pain in the ass Microsoft...either live with the BSOD in Win98 or live with IRQ hell in Win2K/XP.
Old 10th June 2002, 22:04   #25
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, it's trickier with laptops, seeing you can't physically access the cards to move them to other slots.
Yes, your BIOS seems a bit limited there.
Are you sure there's nothing relating to AGP and PCI slots?

The only other thing I can suggest (and bear in mind I'm not a Win2K/XP user, and I don't get any BSoD's in Win9x/ME either) is to go into device manager,
select properties for individual devices on irq5 (start with netcard, then modem, then soundcard, I doubt you'll be able to change vidcard irq in windows),
in the Resources tab, uncheck "use automatic settings" and click the "change setting" button.
If the options are different in WinXP, or if it won't let you change it, then sorry, but I'm all out of ideas
I'm pretty certain you can't do it in "safe mode" either, though it would be nice.

afaik, with acpi disabled, you should be able to change irq's,
but like I said, I'm no WinXP expert (don't think I ever want to be either)
Old 11th June 2002, 01:58   #26
chrisgeleven

I'll try safe mode...

All of the things in the device manager properites are greyed out, tried that first thing.

Amazing, I went to windows xp cuz of stability (98 sucks). Sometimes I wish I had 98 though, this one of those times!
Old 11th February 2004, 11:11   #27
spamsux

I had this same problem with skipping for a long time with my Maxi Sound Muse. What I did to resolve the problem was to disable "PCI delay transaction" in the BIOS. Once that was disabled, I had no problems with skipping or clicking noises anymore. Also check PCI latency settings in the BIOS if you have them and set them as low as you can.

Hope this helps
Old 11th February 2004, 15:36   #28
DJ_Vipa

May I just suggest a simple repair install of windows XP Pro? It solves most problems, and you can start over again without loosing any installed programs or major settings.

I really couldn't be bothered to read all of what you tried, as its an imensely long post.

Anyway, doing "Upgrade Installs" of XP over a Win 9x system is never recommanded, despite what the installer may say. The fact is that there are too many differences in the architecture of the OS's and too many things to go wrong. I would tend to agree that the problem is bios or driver based, and may even have something to do with the upgraded install.

Have a read through your BIOS manual, and play around with driver options - if any.

You could just go out and buy a cheap ass soundblaster PCI 128, as its cheap, and guaranteed to work as the primary or secondary soundcard to play your mp3s. - if you have enough resources left for one. Not what i'd usually recommend, but if worst comes to worse...
Old 13th February 2005, 09:24   #29
springs

Can I just say that despite everyone else thinking win98 is perfect, I am having exactly the same problems with it! I installed a new HD a few months back. I'm pretty sure everything was fine before then, although my system died about 6 months before that and a new mainboard was installed with onboard sound (avance ac97) - so I'm not sure if it's lack of a proper soundcard or something to do with the HD. Obviously I had to reinstall windows once the new drive was in, so I may have messed up there (I'm no expert, a new HD was pushing it for my skills!). I can't follow the advice given before as it's all XP based. I really want to solve it though, I used to love listening to mp3s while I worked on the pc, but it's almost impossible now.
Old 9th August 2005, 01:23   #30
[a192]

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
So does DirectX Diagnostic Tool (start -> run -> dxdiag) (Audio tab, I think)
why whenever I try this directx tool everything sounds perfect, but any other programa I use (winamp, games, etc), will sound bad, skippy, sloppy, etc ?

I have these realtek drivers--I updated them 4 times last 2 days.. gets better but no perfect

I've a p4 2.26ghz
1gb ram
win xp pro, sp2
directx 9.0c
yada yada yada
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support