Old 8th June 2002, 17:35   #1
pankov

how to disable ID3v2 Tags in winamp 2.78

I have a lot of a .mp3 files burned on CDs - so ReadOnly and when I open them in Winamp 2.78 they don't show any info about the artist or the song name. When I open file info I see that the ID3v2 is different from the ID3v1 which is the correct one.
So my question is since I can't change the file (burned on CD-R) how can I disable the ID3v2 tags in Winamp?
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2002, 17:44   #2
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

CTRL+P > Preferences > Input > Highlight "nullsoft MPEG audio decoder", hit configure, select the "title" table, uncheck the "user ID3v1/v2 tags option

This however disables both options, not sure you can just do the one.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2002, 18:10   #3
pankov

Thanks, for your answer. This is a new thing I learned today - but man learns all live . However this doesn't help me I want to have Song Title and Arits name in the playlist but the right ones - the ones from the ID3v1 tag.
Anybody else with an idea?
Old 8th June 2002, 18:16   #4
Reaper
Forum King

Probably your only other option is to uncheck ID3v2 tag in the 'File Info' window. I'll check if there are any plug-ins or program that may help.

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2002, 18:20   #5
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

I know you don't wanna hear this, but how many MP3's have you burnt?

Your only option might be to copy them all to your hard drive, use a mass tag remover and remove all the id3v2 tags, and then burn them back to fresh cd's

This is quite a neat little prog that you can use to mass remove tags of both kinds.

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/detail...ponentId=49416

I can't find any other plugin in the database that lets you select which tag is displayed

Course that may not be feasable for you if you have hundreds of MP3's accross lots and lots of discs.
Old 8th June 2002, 18:28   #6
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Ok, nother long shot here, you could always take a step backwards, and install a version of winamp that dosn't support ID3v2

ID3v2 support only came along at version 2.66, maybe if the MP3 decoder dosn't support ID3v2, then it will only read the id3v1

You can download old versions here

http://www.winampheaven.da.ru

You could probably replace the in_mp3.dll from the latest version with the in_mp3.dll from the earlier version, that way you would keep the latest output plugins of 2.80, but have the older mp3 decoder.

Not sure if this would work, worth a try tho.
Old 8th June 2002, 18:33   #7
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

OK,

This is what I've just done on here, loaded the winamp demo mp3 onto my winamp, this has both id3 1 + 2 tags on it.

I then downloaded winamp 2.65 from winamp heaven, installed it to a temp folder, took the in_mp3.dll from it's plugin folder, copied it over to my default winamp plug in folder, I renamed the in_mp3.dll in there to in_mp3.dllx first, in case I need to go back to the newer decoder.

Ran winamp again, with the older decoder, and the demo file would only read the id3v1 tag.

Old 8th June 2002, 18:38   #8
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

This is the older in_mp3.dll, unzip this and move it into your.

c:\program files\winamp\plugins

directory, remembering to rename the one thats in there first, remember each time you upgrade your winamp you will probably have to install this older decoder.

I can't stress how important it is to keep a back up of your original in_mp3.dll, renamed or otherwise, in case this combination of plugins causes any screwy effect.

Of course someone might suggest a plugin that does this either way, but I sure as heck can't find one
Attached Files
File Type: zip in_mp3old.zip (83.7 KB, 546 views)
Old 8th June 2002, 19:40   #9
pankov

Mr Jones, thank you very much for your help. I've burned over 30CDs and I'm not willing to do this again

I've downloaded the old in_mp3 plugin and I'll use it untill I find a better solution - 10x again.
Do you by any chance know what's the difference between the old one and new (except the ID3 Tags)?

Do you think it is possible to contact the authors of Winamp and ask them to add an option to select which ID3 tag to be shown in the playlist.
Old 8th June 2002, 21:58   #10
Lion King
Major Dude

DON'T USE 2.65'S NITRANE DECODER!
it has a 100 Hz bug

use either:mpg123, mp3pro and the wa 2.22 decoder cannot play mp1 and mp2 files
mp3pro, mad and mpg123 have streaming problems (eg. shoutcast)
all plugins support only id3v1 except mad and mp3pro which support id3v1.1
you have to disable the default mp3 decoder if you install the mad/mpg123/mp3pro plugin

more information on id3 tags: http://www.id3.org/
more information on the 100 Hz bug: http://www.mp3dev.org/mp3/winamp/winamp.html

the old nitrane plugin uses the lower quality amp decoder
the recent plugin uses the industry standard decoder by fraunhofer iis

why don't you like id3v2?

btw. this is an updated version of http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=44580
Lion King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2002, 23:34   #11
pankov

I didn't say I don't like ID3v2 I just said that all my old mp3 files don't have it and while they are burned to a CD-R I can't change them so I have to do s.th. with the player itself.
I think that the delopers of Winamp should have made the ID3v1 the default tag that is shown in the playlist - for backward compatability with old files.
Old 8th June 2002, 23:42   #12
pankov

problems with posting

So you say that I should not use the file that Mr Jones offered me but the in_mp3_234.zip? Is this one from Winamp v2.34?
Do you guys know how I can contact Winamp developers and will they pay attention to what I'll propose them?

I wrote this as a new reply because I can't write long messages - I get an error when posting them ?!??!?! very strange - can someone of the moderators help me?
Old 9th June 2002, 02:31   #13
Lion King
Major Dude

if there are no id3v2 tags winamp displays automatically id3v1 tags

2.34 is the version number of the mp3 decoder, winamp 2.65 probably came with decoder version 2.33

your request is in the official wishlist: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=64967

the developers don't seem to pay much attention to this particular issue, sorry
Old 9th June 2002, 10:27   #14
pankov

I'm sad to hear this

Which in_mp3.dll do you think is better
in_mp3.dll from Winamp 2.22 (featured the FgH decoder with only Id3v1 support).
or
in_mp3_234.dll?
What's the difference between them?
10x for your cooperation
Old 9th June 2002, 12:52   #15
Lion King
Major Dude

idv1.1 is idv1 plus a track number field
code:
decoder version: 2.04 2.34
winamp version: 2.22 patched 2.65 decoder
decoder: fhg decoder amp decoder with nitrane
supported id3 tags: id3v1 id3v1
supported files: mp3 mp1, mp2, mp3

the fhg decoder offers better sound quality but doesn't play mp1 and mp2 files
if you don't listen to internet radio the mad plugin is also good

btw. there is now a version of the mpg123 plugin that can display id3v2 tags, but doesn't have an editor:
http://www.aikis.or.jp/~otachan/in_mpg123.html
Old 12th June 2002, 14:31   #16
sparkymeb

Well, I don't have a big problem with the v2 tags, except that with some MP3's, I sometimes cannot get rid of a "phantom" tag. Even with the v2 box unchecked and the fields empty, I still get a different tag in the playlist.

I tried putting my own in, then removing it: No joy. I pasted a lot junk and nonsense in there, hoping to "flush it out. It took it, then crashed WinAmp whenever I reloaded the song. I used ID3Kill (mentioned in this thread), but it's still there.

Anyone have any ideas??

TIA

Marc
sparkymeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support