Old 11th July 2002, 16:32   #1
Bop
Forum King

You Are Being Watched!

Having reviewed Windude's thread about the shadow government, I thought that a more serious (topical) issue is at hand. With the advent of technological monitoring- virtually every public facility is being facitted with a camera of some sort.

There has already been a start to "human coding" so that the movements of individuals can be followed. Sci-Fi has been elluding to the use of retina scans for id for decades...

Would you give up your personal privacy to live in a "safe" world?
If the government could guarantee you 100% safety would you allow them to monitor you 24 hrs a day? Are you in favor of some sort of surveillance? If so define the perimeters you would set? Or do you feel that nothing should be done and that there are too many cameras around already?

What would be the outcomes of either path? Would they be positive/negative? What aspects of life would be effected?

And if there was universal monitoring... who would watch the "watchers"?

ßoþL¡©¡†¥
Bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2002, 16:39   #2
baafie
feminazi
(Major Dude)

I live in what some people call the 'capital of liberty'. Screw surveillance
baafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2002, 16:47   #3
dollerspark
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to dollerspark
This make me think of Minority Report.

It's a good idea, yet how do we trust these government people? We give them power like that, they could use it to make a safer society, or they could abuse the power. I don't know what they would use it for, but it's possible. I guess I'm just thiking about your question "who would watch the watchers." An idea would be to have two sets of watchers. As long as they keep an eye on each other they can't really do much. But that would help when it comes to someone running away. They could easily find out where they are and track them down. That could work against us, though.

I guess, it's just a big risk giving one group of people so much power.

"We are fortunate: we are alive; we are powerful; the welfare of our civilization and our species is in our hands. If we do not speak for Earth, who will? If we are not committed to our own survival, who will be?" -Carl Sagan
dollerspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2002, 16:50   #4
BMWboy

No, I would no give up my freedom to that degree. regardless of what people say, every one has done something illegal, weither it is speeding, software piracy, or copyright infringement, we are all guilty of breaking some minor law, and 24 hr survalance would result in alot of prople going to prison, more getting fines. If this wasn't a problem, and you could still get away with the little stuff like this, then I don't have a problem with it.
BMWboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2002, 16:54   #5
pixiefied
Mother Trucker

Send a message via Yahoo to pixiefied
the government is trying to play god.thats a no no. if they were to monitor people 24/7,watching us shit,shower,shave..the whole bit.will they intervene when some upstanding citizen trys to commit suicide? its all about power.i think half the shit these sientists are coming up with...bush dont know about! it would cause him a heart attack.

"Well, got to love you and leave you, need to go get into the shower and rub my hard naked body all over with soapy bubbles, I'll be back later to carry on playing....

It'll take you some time to get over the image of me naked in the shower......mind you don't masturbate to hard thinking about it...."
- Mr.Jones
pixiefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2002, 18:33   #6
cmisker
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to cmisker Send a message via AIM to cmisker Send a message via Yahoo to cmisker
I don't know if I'd want to..

I mean, ofcourse, we all live in democracies where we have the checks and balances (or whatever you call them?) systems.. I mean, you have the government controlling things and then you have someone else to check the government and this other thing is checked again by the people.. So maybe, it'd work.

But not yet though... First we need to have star ships and warp drives and contact with other species..

Wanna see my Winamp 3?
cmisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2002, 19:02   #7
Jon Deaux
Major Dude

Orwell was right.

"Nothing really matters much to me"-Freddie Mercury
Jon Deaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2002, 19:04   #8
J. Burnaway
Forum King

Send a message via Yahoo to J. Burnaway
I thought of Minority Report as well, easily the most disturbing part of that film.

However, the most disturbing part for me was not that the government knew where he was at all times, but when he walked into the Gap with the new eyes, and the hologram greeted him by name (or at least the name of the guy who used to have those eyes) and asked if he liked the tank tops he bought (or something like that).
J. Burnaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2002, 19:37   #9
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Deaux
Orwell was right.
Holy Shit! Took the words right out of my mouth! My God how is it the world stands by as Big Brother watches, controls, and re-writes history, life, and future?
If Minority Report didn't suck so bad, I'd have made a real refrence to it.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2002, 19:54   #10
spookz

unless one chooses to opt out of society and creates ones own
you will be tagged and coded
humans are a rowdy messed up bunch
gotta be kept in line for their own good

sPooKZ
spookz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2002, 20:28   #11
Jon Deaux
Major Dude

"future?"-Fickle_v

Tryin to see it. "This Perfect Day" by Ira Levin?

"BRING ME THE BLUE PAGES!"
J:.D:.

"Nothing really matters much to me"-Freddie Mercury
Jon Deaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2002, 00:07   #12
Sandman2012
<3 foobar2k
(Forum King)

WHO WATCHES THE WATCHMEN?
Sandman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2002, 00:13   #13
Huehuetenango
Forum King

me, that's a damn good band, that is
uhm, sorry

i would NOT give up my privacy to such a degree as that
as was said earlier, everyone has something to hide
and what's to stop the government from using info obtained to clamp down on things it defines as "unsavoury" or doing certain things we may not agree w/ for our "own good"
Huehuetenango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2002, 00:27   #14
sscw46

I don't think I'd give anyone permission to monitor myself for 100% safety. Steering myself away from any obvious dangers through common sense or predictions is enough for right now. But who knows? The government may be forced to turn into Big Brother if society gets even worse.

Neargh.
sscw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2002, 08:46   #15
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Curi0us_George Send a message via Yahoo to Curi0us_George
Re: You Are Being Watched!

The government could never guarantee yopu 100% safety, even if they monitored everything, all the time.

I wouldn't give up that much freedom even if I could be guaranteed safety. I don't like surveillance. I think we already have more than enough in most areas. Of course, I think stores have a right to put up surveillance units to protect themselves, but I don't want cameras on my street. I think surveillance should be limitted to interior monitoring. i.e. you can monitor inside your own house, but you can't point that camera at the street.

We won't be using retinal scans. They are too complicated. I think it's quite possible that we might eventualy start using iris scans, though. Those actually could be picked up by a camera when you want into a store, too.

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.

47 65 6C 61 65 64 2E 63 6F 6D 00
Curi0us_George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2002, 08:48   #16
Trigear
bear!

Quote:
you are being watched!
so?
Trigear is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions