Old 9th August 2002, 08:13   #1
Indig0

WinAmp 3 is LAAACKIIING !

(quote) it'll be a while before a shoutcast component is made.

can't .mp3s be converted to .wav without installing additional components ??
If yes, How? If no, what plugins to use?

And it doesn't support my favorite 2.xx skins, blah!

1,2,3 strikes your out WinAmp 3!
I'm back at 2.80 for now!

But I'll go and read the WA3 FAQ as instructed in the sticky threads
Old 9th August 2002, 08:20   #2
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

I'll be doing the same for at least 6 months, and then i'll still probably end up using 2.x more, its just what i've become used to.
Old 9th August 2002, 08:46   #3
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Re: WinAmp 3 is LAAACKIIING !

Hey look, it's someone else bitching about the quality of the software that they don't have to pay for........

Quote:
Originally posted by Indig0
(quote) it'll be a while before a shoutcast component is made.
SHOUTcast is coming, stop sweating...

Quote:
can't .mp3s be converted to .wav without installing additional components ??
If yes, How? If no, what plugins to use?
Quote:
In theory you can't do this in WA2 either without an additional component, the diskwriter plugin , it's just that diskwriter comes packed with the default installer, the diskwriter component isn't finished for wa3 yet, as oddly enuff it was more important to get a working player out of the door, rather than to help people rip cd's...

Quote:
And it doesn't support my favorite 2.xx skins, blah!
WA3 supports WA2 skins by default, so all your old skins should work out of the bag, this again is an ever evolving process.

Quote:
1,2,3 strikes your out WinAmp 3!
I'm back at 2.80 for now!
Good, stick to what works for you, no one is holding a gun at your head saying "you must use this, after all your not paying for it, so you must use it NOW"

Don't forget thos, WA3 is one day old so far, when the first editions of WA2 were released a number of years ago, they didn't have anyhwere near the level of functionality that WA3 does today.

Thank you come again.
Old 10th August 2002, 15:51   #4
alpha90078

Winamp 2.X FOR LIFE!!!

Winamp 2.X FOR LIFE!!! :-)
Old 10th August 2002, 15:56   #5
computer2slow

Don't know if for life but at least til 3.x gets more feartures like 2.x. Plus sould still be able to get the older version for people that have old slow computers (thay make nice mp3 only players for home stereos.
Old 10th August 2002, 16:14   #6
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Dont worry, Winamp2.x isnt going to dissapear any time soon.
Old 10th August 2002, 17:26   #7
DVDyke

Winamp 3 stinks!

Not only is it a resource hog and a CPU hog (Keeps bouncing between 0 - 30% CPU usage). But it does not let you use my favorite legacy plugins?

Why should every programmer have to redo their plugins to work with Winamp 3? A bit of backwards compatability would have been nice. Also I noticed Winamp 2.80 likes to crash a lot. Even after a clean reinstall. Looking at going back to 2.79 which I think was the last stable release.

Another thing. We don't need a video player! Why the heck have you even bothered trying to implement a video player into what is essentially a MP3 music player? It's not needed and it's poorly implemented. There are far better video players out there like BSPlayer, Zoom Player, Windows Media Player even!

Dump the video player it's a bad idea.

Oh BTW I hated that 'MAD' plugin thing for the release candidate. Another resource hog and not very entertaining at that.

My system isn't the latest fastest system on the planet. But even a Pentium III 700 should be able to handle general music playback with the odd effects plugin and maybe even a visualisation plugin like G-Force. But Winamp 3 is stretching my CPU to the limit with the AVS running. One thing I do like about the AVS is the Video Overlay option. Nice touch. One instance where AVS wins out over G-Force and the other visual plugins. I've already suggested to Andy O'Meara the creator of G-Force to try and add this option into his plugin. Being able to output to the TV fullscreen while having the visualisation window windowed on the computer is a big bonus for those that do projection work at clubs etc.

I'm really dissapointed with Winamp 3 thus far. The lack of legacy plugin support is a 'BIG' no no in my opinion. Many plugins will not get updated either as the programmer may not be bothered, around, know Winamp 3 exists, is dead or whatever.

So yah boo sucks and all to Winamp 3. Must try harder (OK so I know it's supposedly a freeware app but hey! Gotta be able to speak your mind even so).

Fancier graphics BTW do not a better application make.

Peace.
Old 10th August 2002, 17:33   #8
DVDyke

Just had a quick look at the Winamp 3 FAQ someone just 'threw up' after my post. The part about Winamp 2.x plugins not working because of blah blah blah. What a crock. They then go on to say that folks are working on Winamp 3 plugins that will let you use Winamp 2.x plugins? Like duuuh! If they can bloody well write a Winamp 3 plugin that lets you use Winamp 2.x plugins then why can't you put that into the damn Winamp 3 player itself? Or maybe you should ask those programmers how they managed to get it to work and you couldn't.
Old 10th August 2002, 18:07   #9
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

For the umteenth time today: If you dont like wa3 then go back to winamp2.
Old 10th August 2002, 18:09   #10
DVDyke

My favorite skin Quicktime_X don't work with Winamp 3. :P
Old 10th August 2002, 18:13   #11
DVDyke

I have but I still wanted to moan about the problems with Winamp 3. I'm entitled too even if it is a free program.
Old 10th August 2002, 18:17   #12
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Well, you've had your bitch/moan/complaint whatever you want to call it.

Can we get a lock now?
Old 10th August 2002, 18:24   #13
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by DVDyke
I'm entitled too even if it is a free program.
Acctually, I wouldn't think you are, If you won say a free car and didn't like the colour, would you whinge about that as well?

What amazes me is why choose to moan about it now?, where was your voice/suggestions/concerns for the last 18 months or so while the beta/RC versions were available on the site?
Old 10th August 2002, 18:27   #14
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones

What amazes me is why choose to moan about it now?, where was your voice/suggestions/concerns for the last 18 months or so while the beta/RC versions were available on the site?
Once again, Mr Jones wows the crowd with the defining argument.
Old 10th August 2002, 18:43   #15
cheenius

WTF?

Winamp3 Does blow. I agree with everything posted by DVDyke, and you know what? I was in here complaining during the crappy RC and Beta releases. I fukin' took a good amount of time to constructively criticize the medialibrary. Thank goodness no one at CrappyAmp read my posts and/or ignored them entirely.
I'd be a little less excited if stupid asses weren't defending them, or if they were continuing to put this out as a beta. Use 2.8? Good idea. I've been using WinAmp since version 1.x and yah know what? Here and now is the first time that I'm going to use something else. I remember when winamp was a tight community where the developers listened to and quickly dealt with comments/fears/questions of the users.
I realize that WinAmp is way huge now, but I hate to say it, I think some of the blame lies with the developers on this one. Whoever put together the media library obviously had nails up both nostrils.

As for my new race car that's the wrong color? Uh, more like someone parked their Ford SUV on my front lawn and threw the keys at me.
Old 10th August 2002, 20:48   #16
stuhead19

WA3 - mainly great but.....

After using WA 3 for three days, I have reached the following conclusions - Lots of great improvements, especially enqueueing from within a playlist and the use of multiple playlists. As may be obvious, the playlists are probably the most important element of Winamp for my purposes (all my mp3s are constantly enqueued and it is basically my stereo for all my music). I'm sure I wasn't alone in my horror when I pressed 'J' for the 1st time and... nothing. One of the most useful basic functions, song search, replaced by a truly horrible 'media library' - it really is far too slow and unnescessarily complicated for what is essentially a quick search function.
On the whole, I am very impressed with version 3 and I am defintiely using it instead of 2.x but I would be a much happier bunny if the old quick search funtion, or equivalent, was re-implimented.
Old 10th August 2002, 20:53   #17
YtseJam
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to YtseJam Send a message via AIM to YtseJam
The 'j' function is there in a different form, press F3.
Old 10th August 2002, 21:29   #18
Hamylde

Send a message via AIM to Hamylde
For Life???

Wow,

Winamp 2.x for life... that's a pretty crappy plan. Just cuz winamp2.x runs smoothly and has all of the basic features a mp3-player needs... you're gonna have to move on! Sooner or later you're going to have to upgrade your software. Even an awesome prog like winamp2.80. Once you get used to the new functions .. you're gonna regret never having them on the "old-winamp"! So use the new winamp... and get used to it... and if u can ... make components to make it better!

Sooner or later you're gonna be happy that Winamp3 came out!
Old 10th August 2002, 21:45   #19
DarkestWizard

The one reason why I wont use wa3

I had installed some previous alphas of wa3, it looked quite promising. So, I went ahead and installed the final version happily.. then I noticed that my computer was infected with AOL crappulance. My start menu, my desktop.. wa3 went right to the recycle bin.

I can live with some of the bugs and changes, but the reminder that Winamp is owned by AOL repulsed me enough to remove it off my computer right away.

God I hate AOL
Old 10th August 2002, 23:18   #20
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp Team

I don't get it ???
What AOL icons & url's?
None of this crap got installed with my WA3.
Are there different versions going around or something?

All I noticed was an AOD subdir in the Winamp3 dir
but I deleted this straight away.
Checked the registry . . . no new AOL entries were created.

When this used to happen with WA2 releases,
there was always a "aol desktop icon" option to uncheck in the installer,
but there wasn't one in winamp3_0-full.exe installer,
and no aol icons/url's were to be found anywhere.

So wha'appen?
Old 10th August 2002, 23:37   #21
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp Team

[edit] some crud was here [/edit]
Old 11th August 2002, 00:14   #22
asb3pe

Winamp 3 "Upgrade" is a DOWNGRADE

First, about complaining here...

"Need a place to rant, vent, spew? Something happening within the Winamp universe you don't like? This is your place to bitch at the injustice and general unfairness of the World."

Moderators who complain about all the complaining here should read their own forum introductions. And since you locked the last thread, I'm starting a new one for more complaints to be registered.

Now then. I am new to the forum. I signed up just so I could vent. You wonder why I wasn't here during beta? Simply because I wasn't participating in the beta. I was very happy with 2.80 and as a rule do not mess with software that works and that I like. Winamp programmers should follow that credo as well. They should have left well enough alone instead of wasting their time and money to make a GREAT product MEDIOCRE. Why do we always have to mess with success and "improve" a product that is perfectly acceptable? I agree with those who say this is an audio application and there is NO NEED for video capabilities. I use REAL and Windows Media Player for that. Don't like it? Too bad. Winamp is for audio, those other two are for video.

Ok, never mind the video. I don't have to use it even though it is there. So what has regressed in Winamp audio? You may think I'm nitpicking and that my reason sounds silly. And I admit I only used Winamp3 for about 5 minutes before uninstalling and going back to 2.80. But the one thing I HATED was the File Info/ID3 Box. Instead of one box for ID3v1 and ID3v2 on the same screen, it is now two separate windows that MUST be toggled between. What a pain in the you-know-what. AND - to top it off, I could not use TAB to switch between fields! That is utterly ridiculous. As I say, this probably sounds like nitpicking and even an absurd complaint, but realize that I like efficiency. I don't want to have to use my mouse any more than I have to. I love being able to tab between fields, do it all the time in most programs. But nooooooooo, not Winamp3.

And the other thing that irks me? Well, naturally - it's owned by AOL and once again they insist on flooding my machine with AOL shortcuts. Hey dimwits - I already have an internet connection - how do you think I downloaded the file? If I wanted AOL, I'd already be signed up dontcha think? The world is bombarded with AOL CD's - I see them in stores, in my mailbox constantly, and even today in the POST OFFICE for crying out loud - there on the counter was a display case with AOL CD's. Freakin' internet for dummies. Internet Kindergarten.

Oh well, there's my vent. Don't like it? Tough patooties. I don't like Winamp3. I don't like the way the fonts look compared to 2.80. I don't like the way the menus operate (more cluttered now). You programmers have taken a perfectly adequate program and REGRESSED it, all in the name of "progress for progress' sake". The rat race claims yet another victim. And so it goes...

No need to respond, I'm not here for a flame war, but I did want to add my voice to the din and speak my mind. I feel better now! Peace...
Old 11th August 2002, 00:17   #23
Bilbo Baggins

Someone pick the baby's rattle up, he has dropped it out of the pram.
Old 11th August 2002, 00:22   #24
Bilbo Baggins

Did you post your concerns 6 months ago when the product was in beta?
Old 11th August 2002, 00:30   #25
rm'
Banned

Winamp3 is NOT an upgrade to Winamp 2. It is a completely different product, coded fresh from the ground up. Like all new products, it's first versions aren't exactly perfect. If you don't like this new incarnation, come back later around version 3.10 or so. If you do like it, good for you. Among other things, you will enjoy better audio quality, video playback, and a much improved playlist system.
Old 11th August 2002, 00:32   #26
rm'
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by DJEgg
I don't get it ???
What AOL icons & url's?
None of this crap got installed with my WA3.
Are there different versions going around or something?

All I noticed was an AOD subdir in the Winamp3 dir
but I deleted this straight away.
I don't get it either... I don't even have the AOD directory (I had it on a previous beta though). Highly intriguing
Old 11th August 2002, 00:36   #27
hooligan

Not Until J!

I WILL not use winamp3 until you put the "Jump feature" has been returned......

this feature was only requested in the winamp3 wishlist post about 30 times a week... take a fucking hint

and don't talk about the 'select' feature in the playlist... it's ass
Old 11th August 2002, 00:41   #28
rm'
Banned

F3 is much much better.....
Old 11th August 2002, 00:44   #29
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by rm'
F3 is much much better.....
Agreed, still one less user of WA3 is one less tech support question to answer later on
Old 11th August 2002, 01:03   #30
Bilbo Baggins

Woah. RM is angry.
Old 11th August 2002, 01:06   #31
rm'
Banned

rm's been dealing with too many fools, who no matter how many times they are told, refuse to understand simple concepts.
Old 11th August 2002, 01:21   #32
laz
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to laz
I fully agre w/ the AOL shit, when I saw that I deleted it faster its use b/it was still the same crap from the #483 build. Why on earth do you think you can make me go from my cable line to the dumbed down shit called AOL? IT MAKES NO SENCE, I got a migrane from that! I already ahve an IPS to even get WA3!

Where is the shoutcast play list?? NO WHERE, why it was taken out a long time ago, BUT I WANT IT BACK NOW! Same goes w/ the classic visualizations and gamma control on the thinker. I hate this "Final" version and have gone back to my non-AOL ridden betas of #466 for shoutcast playing, and #483 for the playlist.
I did speak off on this, but nothing.

I hate you AOL, you fucked up yet another Program. GO AND DIE OFF W/ YOUR IGNORENT SOCCER MOM FOLLOWING!
Old 11th August 2002, 01:26   #33
laz
Major Dude

I fully agre w/ the AOL shit, when I saw that I deleted it faster its use b/it was still the same crap from the #483 build. Why on earth do you think you can make me go from my cable line to the dumbed down shit called AOL? IT MAKES NO SENCE, I got a migrane from that! I already ahve an IPS to even get WA3!

Where is the shoutcast play list?? NO WHERE, why it was taken out a long time ago, BUT I WANT IT BACK NOW! Same goes w/ the classic visualizations and gamma control on the thinker. I hate this "Final" version and have gone back to my non-AOL ridden betas of #466 for shoutcast playing, and #483 for the playlist.
I did speak off on this, but nothing.

I hate you AOL, you fucked up yet another Program. GO AND DIE OFF W/ YOUR IGNORENT SOCCER MOM FOLLOWING!
Old 11th August 2002, 01:42   #34
laz
Major Dude

Re: Re: WinAmp 3 is LAAACKIIING !

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
Don't forget thos, WA3 is one day old so far
So..... if it is only x days old... how come I was using the betas (and still am, thank you aol ads, and lack of features from the betas) back in 2001? It was in development since 2000 now, just b/ of the final version was put out on the net, make it born. To me it was the first virsion of it on the net that matters, so in WA3's case it was premature, w/ the alpha version so long ago.

I am jsut not happy whit al the stuff that got axed in the final release. i liked the extrast, it made it far better than WA2. but now they are gone, it is pointless to use the final.

I will keep the builds #466 for the shoutcast server list and #483 for the playlist w/o the AOL crap that also got installed that I DID NOT WANT OR NEED!!! how else did I download it, i already have an ISP and not need to got back to the hell of 28k modems (ya i had a 56k but he phone lines here slower than 28k speeds.

that is my ranting bich on the bitchlist
Old 11th August 2002, 02:09   #35
apol

I don't think the problem with WinAmp3 is that it is lacking...

I think it's that it is too complex. WA2 was simple, efficient, and extremely flexible. This new version is simply too complex for most people, and resembles MusicMatch more than WinAmp. For some people this is probably great, but for many it's just too complex and awkward. I'll be sticking with WinAmp2 until I see something that really makes me want to switch.
Old 11th August 2002, 02:36   #36
ssj4_android

Send a message via ICQ to ssj4_android Send a message via AIM to ssj4_android Send a message via Yahoo to ssj4_android
I disagree with this poster for the most part. Also, about you saying better sound, it says in the FAQ, the sound in winamp3 is EXACTLY the same as winamp2. I hate AOL too, but I don't think Nullsoft had a choice. This is the right forum to complain about winamp3, why DO you close all the threads? These threads are allowed according to the description, right? Save your anger for people complaining in the winamp3 forums. Of course, you can just say that all winamp3 complaining in this forums has to be limited to one thread.
Old 11th August 2002, 03:59   #37
assman

I can't believe winamp3 sucks so bad

nevermind i just read other threads. now i feel bad for all you coders you must be getting a shitload of complaints in your mail...
Old 11th August 2002, 06:09   #38
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp Team

Quote:
Originally posted by ssj4_android
Of course, you can just say that all winamp3 complaining in this forums has to be limited to one thread.
And for that reason, I'll leave this one open and make it a sticky (thread title edited accordingly).
Although you're still talkin a load of bollox (lol ), whine all you want here, but please read the FAQ's first (see phisherman's sticky thread for details)

bleh
Old 11th August 2002, 06:20   #39
lnx

Send a message via AIM to lnx
winamp3 & linux

please god, all i want is winamp3 to be stable on linux. i currently use a winamp *clone* ( xmms anyone?) and personalyl i'm SICK of it. when i was on windows i adored winamp. the one app i miss most being away from windows is winamp!! i can't get winamp3 to run with wine so im' FUCKEd. can anyone help me out?! ignore the drunken rant. w00t wiamp 3 is very sexy. great job justin :]
Old 11th August 2002, 06:27   #40
rm'
Banned

They need to get the major bugs ironed out first, add in the Winamp 2 feature set, then they can worry about porting the code to other OSs. Because it's already so portable, the actual porting shouldn't take long. It's just the bug fixing that might turn you blue in the face...
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist