• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ForestCat
    • Mar 2018

.dat files ?????

Hi,

I've grabbed this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mdp...atest/download

and I've been spending the last week trying to clean it up, since it's a bit of a rat's nest re: massive amounts of duplication, mangled filenames, etc. Learning more than I ever wanted to know about RegEx, GREP, etc.

One mystery: There are about 80 '.dat' files, and by all appearances, they look like they might be some type of custom wave definitions? But I dunno. The names of the dat files do not appear as strings within any of the ~40,000 milk files, nor do the dat filenames correspond to any of the .milk filenames.

A few of theses dat files:
    boatsh.dat
    boatwa2.dat
    filecamel1.dat
    filecamel2.dat
    fileviper.dat

have comments by Flexi, i.e.:
    shape_0_per_frame37=/////// rotations ... by flexi

One is called 'shifter's word wave.dat'

No hits on google for any of the filenames with or without the extension.

Only Milkdrop/.dat result I could find was a reference to a dat file in a preset pack posted by E.o.S. 12 years ago, but it appears Eo.S.'s website is history, and it's not in the wayback machine, so I'm stumped as to what these orphan files are.

Thanks for reading.

• hatecubed
    • Sep 2016

I've got a few of these in my various .milk collections - never did figure out exactly what the deal with them is. Anyone else here?!?

Comment

• Nitorami
      Major Dude
      • Mar 2008

I presume these are exported parts of .milk program code, generated by the "export to file" option in the preset editor (wave and shape code section), intented to facilitate code re-use and exchange between presets. Probably remainders of preset editing, which accidentally made it into the collection when the entire directory was zipped and uploaded. They are not required and can most likely be deleted.

Comment

Working...
      X