BUG? bitrate reporting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUG? bitrate reporting...

i see this every so often in the ML, esp on shorter files, see screenshot.

i ripped the file as a 256kbps CBR with EAC. as you can see the file info says 256 too. but the ML says 257. odd, why does this happen? is length involved?

i know if its VBR, you can get an avg type number, but these are CBR.

ideas? bug?
    Attached Files
    PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
    --
    BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
    Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
    Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
    ideas? bug?
    Try applying Vbrfix (make sure Skip Non-VBR Files is unchecked) or maybe MP3val.
    Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin

Comment

Ryerman, i think you misunderstand, the problem isn't the file, its winamp. look at the screenshot, winamp disagrees with itself.

i ran mp3val anyway, no errors, but then i didn't expect any. it was ripped as a 256kbps file, not 257. view file info gets it right, ML doesn't.
      --

Comment

Sorry, but I didn't look at your screenshot carefully enough.
        You're right, Winamp does disagree with itself and that is never a good thing.
        In the past, I have corrected some files with problematic bitrates and/or lengths by using Vbrfix, not MP3val.

Comment

i've used both, but i only use the moonbase ver of vbrfix when mp3val can't get it done.

i can't recall if they ever fixed bitrate reporting for me, but both def do fix length errors.

anyway, EGG / DrO, what do you say?
          --

Comment

a test file is needed is what i'd say as something isn't right to cause the difference (though i'm not going to put my money on where / what).

-daz
            WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

here is an example:

let me know if you can DL that and if you can reproduce.

i think its an issue with files under a minute, b/c i notice this on such files. i don't know for sure if it happens with longer ones or all shorter ones, or where exactly the length cutoff is.

i have seen it go as high as 261 even tho its a 256. when sorting by bitrate, i see i have at least 100 such misreported ML files, maybe more. i can provide more examples, but my guess is you could sort your ML by bitrate and find your own mp3 examples.

i def think length is involved, and that it perhaps has something to do with the ML doing an avg bitrate calculation for VBRs.
              --

Comment

just loaded it into the library and it's showing as 256 in all of the views. have even looked at my library and it all appears to be showing correctly as well. so not too sure why you're seeing that.

-daz

Comment

I show the same inconsistency with the downloaded file.

Comment

ok, how is this for totally friggin weird... i just went to my ML, and picked 2 257's at random, right clicked, and said "read metadata on items" and the bitrate column updated to 256! weird, wild! (bitrate isn't metadata)

then i did a full watch folders rescan, and refreshed the view. probem still there. then i tested some more files as above, and some switch to 256, and some don't!

DrO, by any chance did you test my file vs an internal 5.63 build? what happens when you test it against a clean, official, unmodded 5.621?

here is one that WOULDN'T change when i read the metadata in ML:

--

Comment

it was with an internal build though nothing has changed in it wrt tag handling since the last public build (i'd have to make a new install to try out with the public build at some point).

though i can see it with the second file you've attached so would need to check things out a bit more when i get a chance.

-daz

Comment

well ryerman saw it with the first file linked, while you didn't. so i think that [might] point to a 5.621/5.63 split.

in addition, i am on 5.621, except for the mp3 decoder, which egg gave me like 2 weeks ago to test the TCMP fix, so maybe that explains why when i re-read the metadata on the first file, it "updates." this is all just observational guessing tho.

in any case, i'm glad you can reproduce the issue now.
                        --

Comment

Here's a link to another file that may be problematic to Winamp:

http://www.mediafire.com/?75t0jpypfrzfyz8

This one is VBR and Winamp shows 258 kbps in the Media Library and in the File Info pane, so at least that is consistent. However, 3 other programs (Mp3tag, Moonbeam's Vbrfix, MediaInfo) show 257 kbps. I'm not suggesting that they are correct, but the difference is interesting.

This seems connected to your original question, even if the file is VBR and not CBR.

Comment

something else odd... in the ML i have a file that lists as 0 seconds, but view file info reports as both 1 second / 38 frames. that seems like another instance of winamp disagreeing with itself, albeit in a different way.

see the attachment, (its not a zip, just remove .zip from it).

i'm not sure what should happen if a file is less than 38 frames... is 0 better than one for those? probably. but this one reports as 38 and 1sec, so again the ML seems off.
                            Attached Files
                            --

Comment

MrSinatra: pm sent with a link to a test build to try out which should resolve the issues seen with all of the test files provided (including ryerman's).

-daz

Comment

Working...
                              X