Winamp 5.9 Final Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by 0xc83470 View Post
    Always excited to see Winamp updates. I have been using it near daily for ~20 years. Thank you all for the hard work. Been meaning to try out developing plugins for random things.

I have a Windows 7 SP1 laptop, and it gives me an error about the modern skin support. Did a test with a dependency walker, and it complained about tataki.dll. Must be that the Shared folder is loaded explicitly: when I added it to my path, it didn't complain of any errors. Doesn't appear to be a dependency issue (given a cursory look and my not being a Winamp developer...).

Happy to try out anything else to help diagnose.

We've contemplated doing that, but only as a last resort.

Does it also make all the other 1st-party plugins load for you?
    (namely: gen_tray, ml_bookmarks, ml_disc, ml_history, ml_rg, ml_impex, ml_transcode)

I've found an easy way for the installer to do it,
    but I'm a bit concerned about the potential impact on other installations/instances of Winamp,
    e.g. if v5.666 and v5.8 are also present elsewhere on the system.
    It probably doesn't affect them, but we'd need to make sure first.

Playlist | Twitter | Albums

Comment

Always excited to see Winamp updates. I have been using it near daily for ~20 years. Thank you all for the hard work. Been meaning to try out developing plugins for random things.

I have a Windows 7 SP1 laptop, and it gives me an error about the modern skin support. Did a test with a dependency walker, and it complained about tataki.dll. Must be that the Shared folder is loaded explicitly: when I added it to my path, it didn't complain of any errors. Doesn't appear to be a dependency issue (given a cursory look and my not being a Winamp developer...).

Happy to try out anything else to help diagnose.
      My apologies for my earlier reply - I didn't read the 2nd paragraph thoroughly enough.
      Winamp 5.9.1 & Modern Skins: Quinto CT 3.6 & Big Bento (color theme 138 - 1337 | Orange)
      MS Surface Pro 8 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz
      Windows 11 22621.1105. Avatar art by Zohaib Khan

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mikey7 View Post
        My apologies for my earlier reply - I didn't read the 2nd paragraph thoroughly enough.
        All good--was mostly for my curiosity, as I did read that the team was working on it. I should have suspected that it wouldn't be as simple as a dll dependency though. (I'm a software developer, and we run into that sort of thing often.)

Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
        We've contemplated doing that, but only as a last resort.

Does it also make all the other 1st-party plugins load for you?
        (namely: gen_tray, ml_bookmarks, ml_disc, ml_history, ml_rg, ml_impex, ml_transcode)

I've found an easy way for the installer to do it,
        but I'm a bit concerned about the potential impact on other installations/instances of Winamp,
        e.g. if v5.666 and v5.8 are also present elsewhere on the system.
        It probably doesn't affect them, but we'd need to make sure first.
        Adding the Shared directory to my path shows that all of those dll's are successfully loaded in the dependency walker. Just to clarify on my previous post, Winamp still gives the "modern skin" error even when the Shared folder is in the path, but the dependency walker does not show any errors. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

All good--was mostly for my curiosity, as I did read that the team was working on it. I should have suspected that it wouldn't be as simple as a dll dependency though. (I'm a software developer, and we run into that sort of thing often.)

Adding the Shared directory to my path shows that all of those dll's are successfully loaded in the dependency walker. Just to clarify on my previous post, Winamp still gives the "modern skin" error even when the Shared folder is in the path, but the dependency walker does not show any errors. Sorry for the confusion.

Ohh, ok. We'll scrap that idea then.
          Internally, we've got most of the plugins loading now on Win7-8.1, but not all.
          We're getting there...

Comment

• It also looks like the Runtime DLLs we include in the “Winamp\Microsoft.VC142.CRT” folder aren't enough on some Windows 7 - 8.1 systems.

If Winamp is crashing on load for you on Win7-8.1, then try installing the full VS2019 Runtime Redistributable package from:

- https://www.itechtics.com/microsoft-...edistributable

- https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x86.exe

We could make the Winamp installer check the registry to see if it's already installed, and if not, attempt to download and install it - but as we've found with DirectX and WM9, it doesn't always work (probably because of local firewall blocking it).

Or we could add that MS installer to our installer (maybe have a separate installer for Win7-8.1)?
            But it would add anything up to 13mb to our installer...

Or we could just add it to the FAQs (forum, wiki, Help, etc), i.e. if Winamp doesn't load at all on Win7-8.1, please install this!

What a shemozzle, eh?

Comment

• Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
              It also looks like the Runtime DLLs we include in the “Winamp\Microsoft.VC142.CRT” folder aren't enough on some Windows 7 - 8.1 systems.

If Winamp is crashing on load for you on Win7-8.1, then try installing the full VS2019 Runtime Redistributable package from:

- https://www.itechtics.com/microsoft-...edistributable

- https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x86.exe

We could make the Winamp installer check the registry to see if it's already installed, and if not, attempt to download and install it - but as we've found with DirectX and WM9, it doesn't always work (probably because of local firewall blocking it).

Or we could add that MS installer to our installer (maybe have a separate installer for Win7-8.1)?
              But it would add anything up to 13mb to our installer...

Or we could just add it to the FAQs (forum, wiki, Help, etc), i.e. if Winamp doesn't load at all on Win7-8.1, please install this!

What a shemozzle, eh?
              Unfortunately most users won't read. It has to be in the most conspicuous place. How about a big warning card at the beginning of the installer, with a yes/no choice to proceed with installing the runtimes?
              Winamp 5.9.1 & Modern Skins: Quinto CT 3.6 & Big Bento (color theme 138 - 1337 | Orange)

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mikey7 View Post
                Unfortunately most users won't read. It has to be in the most conspicuous place. How about a big warning card at the beginning of the installer, with a yes/no choice to proceed with installing the runtimes?

Yes, I thought about that too.

We've already got a similar warning for DirectX (if d3dx9_31.dll and d3dx9_42.dll are missing, and our installer fails to download & install them).

If we could make both warnings into a clickable link (the DirectX one is currently just text), then maybe it's a feasible solution?

Not the best of user experiences...

Comment

• Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
                  Yes, I thought about that too.

We've already got a similar warning for DirectX (if d3dx9_31.dll and d3dx9_42.dll are mssing, and our installer fails to download & install them).

If we could make both warnings into a clickable link (the DirectX one is currently just text), then maybe it's a feasible solution?

Not the best of user experiences...
                  Considering that you're trying to maintain compatibility all the way back to Windows 7/8.1, those users need to understand that Winamp needed to move into the future to support modern Windows versions and can only *try* to meet the needs to older OS users. I've been very, very pleased with the user experience, especially once I found some earlier versions of plugins I use to tide me over until RC2. Of course, I'm a Win 11 user so there's that.

Comment

• I have installed "winamp59_9999_rc1_full_en-us.exe" but I did not uninstall the previous version (5.666). I choose same folder as version 5.666 (C:\Program files (x86)\Winamp) .

My O.S. is Windows 7 SP1.

It seems 2 main problems:
                    - I open the media library (Alt+L) correctly, but when I double-clic on "WINAMP LIBRARY" up bar nothing happens (it should retract as previous version). This happened too in another newer version than I tested some years ago (newer than 5.666).
                    - General purpose plugins: gen_tray.dll appears as NOT LOADED (I cannot show my play-pause, next, back, stop buttons on my Windows bar).
                    - Lots of .dll seems to be "NOT LOADED". Maybe previous version 5.666 one's and I could/should delete it?

How to go back to 5.666? Could I re-install 5.666 and overwrite it?

MANY THANKS!

Comment

• Originally Posted by w7amp View Post
                      I have installed "winamp59_9999_rc1_full_en-us.exe" but I did not uninstall the previous version (5.666). I choose same folder as version 5.666 (C:\Program files (x86)\Winamp) .

My O.S. is Windows 7 SP1.

It seems 2 main problems:
                      - I open the media library (Alt+L) correctly, but when I double-clic on "WINAMP LIBRARY" up bar nothing happens (it should retract as previous version). This happened too in another newer version than I tested some years ago (newer than 5.666).
                      - General purpose plugins: gen_tray.dll appears as NOT LOADED (I cannot show my play-pause, next, back, stop buttons on my Windows bar).
                      - Lots of .dll seems to be "NOT LOADED". Maybe previous version 5.666 one's and I could/should delete it?

How to go back to 5.666? Could I re-install 5.666 and overwrite it?

MANY THANKS!
                      Another point:
                      - Cannot add certain podcasts URLs: for example, http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/so...250/sounds.rss (and other hosted by other podcast sites like Podomatic).

Comment

• @w7amp

Both those issues are referenced in the first post.

Some 1st-party gen & ml plugins are not loading on Windows 7-8.1
                        We are aiming to fix this for the next public release, hopefully coming soon...

In the meantime, yes, you can go back to 5.666 or 5.8.

Some podcast subscriptions not working is due to the ML (Podcasts Directory, Online Services, etc) using IE10 engine.
                        Some sites, including soundcloud.com no longer support Internet Explorer, so those podcast subscriptions won't work.

Did podcast subscriptions from soundcloud work in 5.666?

We aim to replace the IE engine with Chromium or Mozilla for a future release, hopefully 5.9.1.
                        Sorry.

Comment

• Yeah, I should have mentioned podcasts earlier. Since the subject came up above, I can add podcasts from "The Conversation" website for example, by using their RSS Feed link *easily in that alternative version of Winamp* but not in 5.9 RC1. I can only add podcasts from the Podcast Directory which is pretty limiting. Once you change the engine, that should work.
                          Last edited by Mikey7; 8 August 2022, 19:01.

Comment

• What I want to know before I install this new (probably buggy) version: Does it still whip the Llama's A$$?

Comment

• I had to disable the Vorbis input plugin because some opus files use the .ogg file extension, and the Vorbis plugin doesn't play them. I configured the DirectShow plugin to play .ogg files instead.

Comment

• Originally Posted by chshrkt View Post
                                Does it still whip the Llama's A$$?
                                Yes it does.

Comment

Working...
                                X