No announcement yet.

ID3 Tags and Unicode problem

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ID3 Tags and Unicode problem

    Greetings everyone...
    Yesterday I've formatted my PC so I've downloaded Winamp once again, the latest version which is 5.61... As soon as I loaded my music in the program, I noticed that the metadata reading was changing my Unicode titles into strange unencrypted titles. Windows clearly shows these titles, as well as Winamp does, before reading the metadata of those certain files, as seen in the following screenshots:
    Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

    Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

    Initially I tried to check the ID3 Tags, just to discover what is seen on this screenshot:
    1) the File Info Editor format has been severely changed;
    2) my files had some 'improvised' Tags active (by 'improvised' I mean they had the the same title as the file name, the genre switched to 'Other' and the year - on every single one of my songs - switched to '2011');
    3) if I try to edit them by... let's say just deleting that title, it automatically gets re-compiled.

    I should point out the fact that I am used to deleting/disabling all ID3 Tags on my songs, so that Winamp could show the actual titles that I type in the file names.

    I have been Google'ing these problems for about an hour now and I did find some similarities, but not exactly my problem. I found out that having Windows Media Player or iTunes installed might be the cause of my changed ID3 Tags. I only have Windows Media Player 11 installed. On some post I found that disabling some options could disable the actual automatic tag-adding. I checked those options out and they were already disabled.

    Surfing the Internet for more info on Unicode titles, I've found this thread:
    Read-only forum with answers to the most commonly asked newbie techsupport questions pulled from all the other forums. Check here for basic Winamp support answers before digging into the forums.

    I followed the steps and still nothing happens.

    Any suggestions on how to get this fixed? I would appreciate it very much!

    I should also point out the fact that I've never encountered this issue before, therefore I'm really confused if those ID3 Tags actually stay there and if I have to remove them one by one or is there a program that can remove them automatically...

  • #2
    this screenshot -> isn't the native alt+3 file editor dialog so you really need to provide a plug-ins list -> (as requested when posting a bug report) and someone can then have a look through what is present in your install which shouldn't be there.

    WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog


    • #3
      I suppose this is what you're looking for... Let me know if you need anything else.
      Attached Files


      • #4
        THOMSON mp3PRO Decoder v1.2 (x86) [in_mp3PRO.dll] is the problem.

        I can't remember if there's a config option provided by that plug-in to disable it overriding the native in_mp3 (though that plug-in has never been part of the Winamp distribution to my knowledge so how / why you've got it installed i really don't know).

        however it'll be simpler to go to the Winamp\plugins folder and delete in_mp3PRO.dll once Winamp is properly closed. then you'll need to restart Winamp and refresh any media you've loaded (i.e. library re-scans or selecting all items in the playlist and refreshing their titles).

        WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog


        • #5
          It actually worked... Thanks a bunch!


          • #6
            as if there was any doubt

            still somewhat concerned that plug-in was in there if this was a brand new install - you did definitely download Winamp from and not some 3rd party site / bundle type thing?

            WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog


            • #7
              Well yesterday I didn't have internet working so I've decided to format my PC because of the lack of occupation... I asked a friend to download some of the programs that I didn't have on CDs, Winamp was one of them, so I don't know where he downloaded it from.

              Damn it, I lost an hour of my life searching the internet for a fix, when the simplest solution is always the most efficient: uninstall, download again, install again.


              • #8
                well it's sorted so that's the main thing. though might want to quiz the friend / check some of the other things they got for you as i'd be a bit suspicious after this (but that's just me ).

                WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog