ML multiple column sort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ML multiple column sort

To make a sorting order like in Office Excel where you prioritize multiple columns...

example:

1. most played
    2. genre
    3. Artist
    4. Year
    5. Album
    6. Track #

... please

Yes, a very good request!

Sorting by multiple columns should definitely be included, it's a very intuitive feature that you kinda expect should be there.

Comment

I'd love to see this feature, and I agree, it's something you expect to see. With album art switched on I'd love to browse my albums sorted by artist-year. What are the devs thoughts on this?
      If you can hear yourself singing...the music ain't loud enough!

Comment

album art sucks (well you did ask for thoughts on the matter).

and with the serious answer, i thought you're able to do that already now by customising the settings for the view (unless i'm not following things right but then again i barely use the local media part of the ML so i really don't know what is/isn't possible)

-daz
        WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

I'm not a very "techie" user and not much into programming and the like. Simple buttons to push is my thing.

And I remember that in the era of the Amiga I used a kind of Access/Excell-like program called "Softwood File". In it you simply clicked on the column headers in the order you wanted it sorted. The program remembered the sequence and kept it even though the program were closed. A simple and effective feature that immensly improved the searching capability of whatever type information you might put into the program.

I think it was also possible to choose between whether you wanted latest column clicked to be the primary sorting column... or to make a sorting order that goes the other way around. I.e. click the primary first, secondary next and so on so forth.

Get to work... or my arms will fall off in despair. I should think that programmers in '07 wouldn't want the folks back in the mid-eighties computer business to have anything on them. Am I poking any egos yet? hehehehh

Comment

Originally posted by Krinter
            Get to work... or my arms will fall off in despair. I should think that programmers in '07 wouldn't want the folks back in the mid-eighties computer business to have anything on them. Am I poking any egos yet? hehehehh [/B]
            Yes, please, implement this!

It's a very small change that will help people A LOT!

Comment

Originally posted by joeconstantine
              I'd love to see this feature, and I agree, it's something you expect to see. With album art switched on I'd love to browse my albums sorted by artist-year. What are the devs thoughts on this?
              Seriously, why isn't this standard in Winamp yet? But more realistically: why isn't there a plugin for this yet?

Sorry, hi. First post. But I really would love this in Winamp!

Comment

Originally posted by DrO
                album art sucks (well you did ask for thoughts on the matter).
                I've never understood that attitude. Album art is ace! I guess I'm old fasioned. I still like the good old album/LP. I know people who just have a folder of mp3s organised in no particular way - but that's just wrong!
                If you can hear yourself singing...the music ain't loud enough!

Comment

Ah well, this thread ain't about album art anyway.

Multiple column sorting, here we come!

Comment

I'm sure there are people out there who can make some plugin for this?

Please?

Comment

Originally posted by joeconstantine
                      Probably not exactly what you're after, but I've done something very similar to this with the Bento skin.

Just create a smart view with a 3-pane filter. Set the panes to Album Artist, Year, and Album Art, then click in the album artist pane to select an artist, see the years, and then the albums/album art.

Comment

I really want this feature too. I don't care how easy or hard to use the UI is, since I would set this once and forget about it (e.g. a separate dialogue box instead of column clicks would be fine by me).

Below is how I would have my priority list. Interestingly, this already partially works for me, in that when I sort by (1), (2) and (3) of my list are next priority (don't know whether this is hardwired for Album Artist or whether winamp just notices my column arrangment). This makes things a lot less painful, but doesn't help with collections of singles I have for artists that I put in separate pseudo-albums, or worse, my big "random collection of uncategorized songs" pseudo-album!

1) Album Artist
                        2) Album Name
                        3) Track #
                        4) Artist
                        5) Title

DrO: I've poked around, I don't see the setting you're talking about.

Comment

Hey devs, we're approaching 2 000 views on this one. I think people want it.

Put it succinctly - "it's a feature you presume".

Keep up the great work!

Comment

Well, I accidentally made a thread about this not knowing it was already requested. Here's what it said:

Well, I'm pretty confident this hasn't been implemented yet. Basically, when you sort by artist, it sorts alphabetically, then sorts album names alphabetically. However, I've always wanted a way to sort by artist, then album year; so that The Beatles' first album displayed would be Please Please Me (1963), and the last being the Love (2006, I think?) compilation. It'd certainly help me considering I tend to buy entire discographies of artists I like; I've got about 15 so far.

And even then, maybe some people with varied taste in music would like to sort by genre, artist, then year. So far, the only plugin that does this is Album List 2, but that's just an extra list of albums, not integrated right in the library.

I think this secondary sorting would be fairly easy to implement, seeing as the way it's done already is to sort by artist name then album name, so nothing drastic would need to be added. Maybe just holding shift while you're clicking columns, or on the right click menu next to customize columns? IMO that right click menu's pretty lonely atm ;]
                            Basically, winamp already has this sorting priority implemented, just not customizable to sort the way you want it.

Comment

A big "hell yeah" to this idea from me!

I have my tracks pane sorted by album, which makes sure that all album tracks are grouped together and kept down the bottom out of the way, allowing all the non-album tracks to float to the top. It's almost perfect for me, except I'd rather have the non-album tracks sorted by artist name rather than track name (as is default when sorting by album).

This could be achieved by way of a "sort order" dialog similar to "customize columns". Users would see a list of all the available fields to sort by (whether or not they're displayed in the view) where the items can be moved up and down. The top item would be sorted first and the bottom item would be sorted last.

Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X